Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: TV Digital Optical Coax to Analog Stereo RCA Audio Converter Adapter 24Bit/192KHz, Includes 6 feet Optical Cable
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on May 5, 2011
Purchased and used for a few weeks. Noticed that it wasn't as clean sounding as expected since it was hooked up by a TOSLINK optical cable. Reviewed the lit with the unit, and read that it has a THD of 0.1 Audiophile wise, that's awful. Have since replaced it with a Gefen DAC. THD on the Gefen is 0.001. Believe me, you can hear the difference with the clarity and harmonics of what your playing through it. In defence, the "no name" did do the job well enough, but should state it's THD, and cost less. THD on the "no name" is not mentioned. Now you know why.
55 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2010
I am so happy this works so well. My Apple TV unit came with the digital optical audio connection. I really did not want to replace my older Bose surround system it at this time as it still sounds great. However, it does not have an digital optical connection. This unit did the trick. It is very easy to connect.
on July 19, 2010
Excelent converter. It allows to connect a LED TV digital audio output to an analog sound system input. So no need to buy an extra Home Theather receiver in order to improve the audio output for a home/office room.
on January 16, 2011
The converter works as described. However, per the comments on the user's guide as well as my personal listening experience, it does NOT support Dolby digital compressed audio formats. If you want a true stereo sound, then you should look at the GenfenTV adapter GTV-DD-2-AA. it supports Dolby Digital.
on September 4, 2012
I gave this three stars because it may do what it says it will. I can tell you what it won't do and that is it will NOT work with Dolby. My Philips TV says it supports PCM and Dolby but it is not switchable.

Among all the great things this little device says it can do, they neglect to tell you what it won't do until you open the box. Since Dolby is so commonly in use, I would think a responsible manufacturer would point that out in it's specifications so as to not cause customer frustration and irritation toward the manufacturer.
on May 1, 2011
Fantastic Unit, wife and kids said I was nuts to downgrade to Analog, but as I only had an optical output on the TV I could not hook up to my OLD very high grade 4-channel sound system. Went shopping for a newer sound system and did not find any in a price range I liked. Found this unit on line and for the money I thought I would give it a try. The wife was dissapointed at first because she thought she could finally get rid of my BIG Speakers. I had already prewired my old sound system and when I got the converter it was hook up one cable and two wires, I did this when my wife was not home, found the right carrrier frequency for the output and I was in business. We watched Tron for the second time, the first time in stereo and that night we watched it in 7.1 sound and she found it fantastic and even admitted it. She still does not like the big speakers, (end tables as she calls them) but she loves the sound. I don't do reviews often, but everybody that has heard my system says that it is fantastic.
on August 31, 2012
I needed an optical digital to analog converter to connect a 3rd generation Apple TV to an older Sony 50" LCD that only has analog sound inputs. I read reviews on Amazon for several converters and settled on this one based on reliability. It's a little more expensive ($10-$20 more) than some on Amazon, but included an optical cable and none of the reviews said that it stopped working (reviews of several other lower priced converters mentioned failures after a few months).

It was easy to set up and works well, in fact, the volume coming from the converter is better than the volume from our Comcast DVR unit.

What took the longest for me to figure out was how to connect the optical cable to the Apple TV -- the Apple TV has a push-in trap door. I initially thought that door was a plug that needed to be pulled out -- turns out the plug was really a swinging door.

I had to buy the converter because my Sony TV only has a DVI-D connection for digital input. DVI doesn't carry audio, only video. So I had to use the Apple TV optical audio output and have it go through the converter to RCA jacks on the TV.

Because the Apple TV only has an HDMI output and my TV only has DVI-D, I needed a male HDMI to male DVI-D dual link cable. I found that at Amazon, too, NSIcable Dual Link DVI D (24+1) Male to HDMI Male Cable (5 FT). It worked perfectly.

If you're in the same situation we were and aren't sure which DVI connection you need, check out the pictures on Wikipedia [...] scroll down the page to see the pictures of all the DVI types DVI-D, DVI-I, single link, dual link, etc.

One way to look at it is: it cost us an additional $50 to hook our $99 Apple TV to our existing TV -- the other way to view it is: it saved us $1000 not having to buy a new TV with HDMI.
on June 16, 2012
This product only accepts 2-channel digital audio inputs. So before ordering; make sure that is what you are trying to convert.

I purchased this item to allow me to drive two wireless analog speakers from my LED TV. Newer sets only have an optical digital audio output; no analog. They are either 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, fixed level and intended to feed a Home Theater System; I found this out "the hard way". The spec's on my TV did not mention what outputs to expect from the optical connection and it was only by accident that I found the original description flyer and was able to deduce that mine was 5.1.
on December 17, 2015
This digital to analog audio converter has worked perfectly for me. Installation was simple and intuitive. It has allowed me to replace my television sound bar with my stereo system, which sounds far better. It also allows me to stream music, generally from Pandora, from my Roku to the same system. For me, this is an important tech upgrade that is part of my project to cut the cable and satellite cord. I am not an audiofile so those who have found that a different device provides a higher quality conversion may be correct. But for me, this is just terrific.
on January 18, 2013
It's a very simple device and is doing exactly what I wanted it to. Takes up almost no room, and converts digital optical audio to RCA. I needed a Y-connector to attach a set of headphones, but that was clear from the description. I also had to figure out for each of my devices how to change 5.1 audio to PCM, but fortunately that turned out to be possible in each case. Sure, there are features I could wish for the device to have (direct headphone output; 5.1 to PCM internal converter) but that isn't what this does, and for the price, I'm happy with what it does.