Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 785 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 813 reviews
on July 12, 2013
Is it a Fluke? No.
Could it be mistaken for a Fluke? No.
Is there any chance it was made in the same factory as a Fluke? No.
Would I trust its 600V rating? Not given a choice!

BUT...

Does it work? Yes.
Is it cheap? Yes, very.
Is it reasonably accurate? Certainly seems to be, based on quick comparisons with other meters.

I got this meter to audition it. I need to get at least 10 identical units for as little cash as possible. So far, I'm thinking this is a pretty good choice. The case doesn't snap closed properly on one of the top corners but the bumper protects it well. The test leads are not the greatest but they will probably need to be replaced periodically anyway due to normal wear and tear in an environment with kids. The circuit board is really not too bad. It came in a box with an English instruction/specification leaflet (including detailed accuracy figures for the different ranges). The rotary selector has a good feel and the 20Vdc range is 3 clicks left of OFF, same as my other meters. Initially I was a bit concerned that it reported the gain of a 2N3904 about 35% higher than another meter, but it turned out to be closer to the true value than the other instrument! Long story short: aside from the fact that it smells somewhat reminiscent of a child's paddling pool, this seems to be a pretty solid contender in the cheap multimeter category.

PS I wouldn't put too much stock in the negative reviews as their authors don't seem to be familiar with multimeters in general. You will always see small fluctuating voltages when the probes are floating because ... there are small fluctuating voltages. A "1" in the display indicates the value is out of range. There is no 'infinity' indication on any meter when measuring resistance, just an out-of-range indication. Of course the resistance will change rapidly from a lot to almost zero when you touch the probes together! And the person whose meter 'died' as soon as he tried to measure a battery voltage most likely had a current range selected, thereby blowing the fuse (I'm guessing he connected the battery first then rotated the selector through a current range to get to a voltage range. This is a downside of not having separate terminals for current and voltage input). Watch a video online if you need to get up to speed with how these things work.

PS I should add that my meter was branded 'EXCEL' and was shipped from the US by 'Etekcity'. One of the problems with Amazon is that when different sellers list the same item, they aren't always the same, yet the reviews are common to all of them. I went to order more of these and they only had two remaining. Hopefully more will be in stock soon.
11 comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I ordered this LCD Digital Ohm VOLT Meter AC DC Voltmeter Multimeter (XL830L) through Amazon two months ago. The meter is made in China, but shipped from Singapore and took 5 weeks to arrive. Good thing I didn't need it in a hurry. Packaging was minimal. The meter was packed in bubble wrap, with a simple instruction sheet which I have to fold up to form a booklet.

When I first used this meter to measure the voltage of a battery, it did not register any voltage reading. I soon realized that I need to push the probe connectors down firmly until they 'click'. The meter then works correctly.

The meter is made of cheap plastic, but this is to be expected since I paid just seven bucks including shipping. For such an inexpensive unit, it offers all the commonly used features found in higher priced multimeters. Naturally, there is a big difference in resolution between this $7 pocket multimeter (3-1/2 digit) and a $1400 professional Agilent 34410A Digital Multimeter (6-1/2 digit) I use at work. However, for home and hobby, 3-1/2 digit is more than sufficient.

But resolution should not be confused with accuracy. Just because a digital meter can display '1.999V' does not mean it is accurate up to 1 part in 2,000. The instruction sheet of this XL830L claims its accuracy is typically 0.5% for DC voltage, 1% for DC current, and 0.8% for resistance. Based on my side-by-side comparison with an Agilent 34410A DMM, I can verify that the readings are all accurate to within 0.5%. Again, for household measurements even a 1% accuracy is more than sufficient.

The XL830L is powered by a 9V battery. I measured its current consumption to be just 0.6-0.8mA when measuring voltage and current (slightly higher when measuring resistance). That means a 9V battery should last for several hundred hours of operation. The bad news is you have to open the case in order to replace the battery. The good news is you probably only have to do that once every few years.

Bottom Line:
I found the XL830XL to be cheaply built, yet it performs surprisingly well. Considering that its cost is just 1/50 that of a professional handheld multimeter (such as the Fluke 87-V DMM), I really cannot complain. Overall, this is a great value for a very useful household item.
77 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2016
 I took a chance at buying a multimeter for $11.00, and now I can see why it was $11.00.

- Product had scuff marks in the rear of the case. Appeared to be a used item.
- Turned on the multimeter, and for some reason, the LCD display appeared locked/frozen on the same numbers. Took me a while to realize that the "hold" button was depressed, thus freezing the LCD screen. (I did not press that button, it shipped that way.

Problems:
1. When the dial is set on 200V AC, numbers on the screen just bounce around. I don't even have the leads touching anything
2. If I insert the leads into my 120AC outlet, the reading shows bizzarre numbers (0, or 13..etc)
3. If I then switch the dial to 600V AC, the LCD screen reads correctly (122V)
4. Continuity sound is very scratchy

9V DC battery read correctly. Green backlight worked. Good protective cover.

Look like someone previously returned it (broken), and it was never checked by the seller before sending to me.
Returning it and will pay a little more and get something more reliable.
review image review image
on September 15, 2016
I've been using one as my main voltmeter for a year and a half now and it still works like a charm.
It's reliable enough, and at the price it means I can bring it with me anywhere and I don't fear that I might loose it or have it stolen.
The main usage I do is continuity checking, and the beeping feature is a must have. This one has it, not all the cheap units do so look closely.
I use to to measure voltage on model railroads, either DC or AC, typically in the 12-20 V range. It proved to be accurate enough each time I've used it. All voltmeters have some degree of fluctuation in their measurement, this one is no exception and did not raise any red flags.

The backlit function turned out to be very useful in many occasions. It's very readable in the dark.

Note that there is no auto-range, which has never been an issue (AC has a 0-200 V range and DC has 2 / 20 / 200 V, etc.) The display will show "1" when it's out of range, and one needs to manually select another position. Not much a problem when measuring low-voltage DC or AC since I'd just pick up the right range upfront; auto-range is only occasionally useful when I need to figure out a resistance value without prior reference.

Two lead wires (black and red) came with it. I did like the thin pointy tips of the provided leads, it was convenient. However after 6 months or so the wire broke inside the tip head on both of them. I just swapped them for other leads I have from another multimeter since I have a couple other ones around. The banana plugs are compatible and the tips worked with my aligator clips.

In summary, this is better than I expected and lasts longer than I imagined. I like the small form factor, the simplicity and robustness. I often carry it around with me because at that price I don't care if I loose it, and ironically I end up using it much more than my more expensive multimeters!
on December 22, 2015
After loosing my job and having to part with my prized Fluke multi-meter, I still needed something to work on projects with. Since I was on a virtually non-existent budget, I was pleased to come across the Dragonpad multi-meter. I ordered it for a very low price and a few days later it was in my hands.

The build quality is pretty fair. There is a rubber grommet of sorts that covers the back and the sides, just like many of the Fluke meters have. It has all the standard features you would expect. Pretty much anything a normal hobbyist or tinkerer would ever need. It's pretty accurate from what I can tell. It comes with two leads that feel a little cheap but they do work.

The one thing I was disappointed about was the internal "speaker" or "buzzer" (whatever its called). It's doesn't output steadily when testing for closed circuits and what not. It sounds like it struggles to make sound. It's not a deal breaker, more of an annoyance.

For the price, you can go wrong.
on December 26, 2015
There are several people on here telling you not to buy this meter since it is very cheaply made. Listen to them. They are right. I used $5 analog meters for years. I haven't seen an analog meter recently, but meters like this seems to have taken their place. But they seem to be less functional, and seem to be even less accurate.

It will do for my purposes. But if you need accurate electronic measurements, then look for a better meter.
I just said that it will do for my purposes. That may end up instead as me hoping that it will do for my purposes.

Update Jan 9, 2016
I have to apologize for the above information. I gave this meter an unfair review. I was using 3rd party leads with it, and evidently I was having a problem with the leads and not the meter. The meter is not 100 percent accurate, but it will get you close if you are using the leads which comes with it and not some bad ones as I had been when I 1st got it.

And with continuity testing, the buzzer is below my hearing level....

Update November 3, 2016

In the comments, someone stated that this meter does not have a buzzer. I can only say that a buzzer is marked on the dial.
review image
on August 10, 2017
This is a great value for a basic digital multimeter. It handles most typical measurements very well, with accuracy as advertised. It even includes a slip-on cover (that's the orange/yellowish part in the picture) to help minimize the possibility damage if the device is dropped. I'd actually give this 5 stars for its excellent performance-to-cost, but I don't see how to open the device to replace the internal 9V battery when the time comes.
on December 29, 2013
What can you say? For the price, it's pretty decent. I ordered this because I couldn't find my good meter, but couldn't rationalize buying another ~$100 one (when I'd surely find it later).

Out of curiosity, I disassembled the meter, and discovered, as expected, that this device was produced at pretty minimal cost. The fuse is soldered directly to the board, which is about as useful as just replacing a burned out resistor. I have added photos of the inner bits to the product description page.

Overall, it's a decent meter, and good for most things around the house/car. It will get you a value which is probably correct. The backlight on it is actually superior to that on many of the more expensive meters that I've used.
review image review image
on September 29, 2011
The price is insane! I tested it along with my Fluke multimeter and found it well calibrated. It has almost all the features needed for home use. The test leads are a bit flaky(hence 4 stars), but at this price it is acceptable. The backlight is impressive and so is the readings hold feature. A rubber case is also included and fits well.
on August 22, 2014
TL;DR: I would say that if you're a parent who is considering getting a multimeter for a young kid who might lose interest in their electronic projects in a week or two, then go ahead and buy it. Or if you're a student who is on a really tight budget and you need a multimeter for a semester, then go ahead and buy it.

For everyone else, spend a little more. (For example: $25 buys the Mastech MS8268 Auto/Manual Range Digital Multimeter Meter.)

My in depth review.

I would be giving this product 4 stars and possibly 5 just due to the fact that it's so inexpensive. ($7.59 when I bought it.) It does work, so for this kind of money, it's pretty hard to beat. HOWEVER, the big problem with this device is that they soldered the fuse directly to the PCB! What were they thinking?!? It might be possible to de-solder the fuse and re-solder a new one without destroying the thing, but that is extremely inconvenient. (Bring up all the reviews for this product and do a keyword search for "fuse" and you will see how common this complaint is.) Unfortunately I didn't see this while skimming the reviews or I never would have bought it.

My unit came with the battery already installed which also seems like very poor quality control. Though it may just be the case that someone owned this unit before me and returned it. The packing is so generic you certainly wouldn't know if your unit was new or not.

The backstand for the unit is very cheaply designed, but for the money, this isn't a surprise. The unit will stand up with the backstand extended, but it feels like it would break with very little pressure.

When you unscrew the screws to get to the battery, the plastic screw holes feel like they are already stripped out. The back plastic covering doesn't feel like it's going to fall off or anything, but it does feel like it wouldn't hold up to being removed very many times.

The LCD screen contrast isn't the greatest, but it's certainly good enough - especially for this price. It does have a nice back light that you can turn on. However, the back light turns off automatically after about 4 seconds and there's no way to force it to stay on.

It's not all bad though by any means.

In my basic testing, it seems to work (well enough for low voltage electronics anyway). I tested continuity a few times. It has a buzzer to indicate that there is continuity. However, the response time isn't instant. So if you were to drag the probe across a row of connections, you would likely miss anything that had continuity. The probe has to have contact for more than a fraction of a second to detect continuity. (Do a youtube search for "EEVblog #75 - Digital Multimeter Buying Guide for Beginners" to see why that can matter. Skip to the 12 minute mark and watch for 2 minutes.)

One reviewer commented that the probes do not stay attached to the device. He said they were so loose that they fall out easily. This was not my experience. (You do have to push the probes all the way down - perhaps that reviewer only pushed them in half way?) With the probes pushed in all the way, I was easily able to dangle the entire weight of the multimeter just by holding onto the probe wires, so there's no way they are going to "fall out" from normal use.

I tested a few batteries (with and without a load), and tested an AC to 9V DC power converter and the multimeter gave me accurate and consistent numbers for the voltage test.

I tested some low current devices (100mA - 200mA) and got the expected results.

Finally I tested a few resistors I had lying around and they too tested as expected.