Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 411 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 460 reviews
on February 22, 2013
I needed five or six small digital voltmeters for use in my solar PV research lab to display battery voltage, and I first purchased just one of these devices so that I could evaluate it in my workshop to be sure that it met my needs. Well, the first unit passed all of my tests:

It works well, it has great blue LED backlighting that draws very little power, it has a large and very readable display, the voltage display is very accurate, even without any adjustment of the internal trimmer resistor (aka potentiometer), and, at a supply voltage of about 14 VDC, it draws only about 17 ma of current! It also seems to be very tolerant of cold temperatures, to at least down about 10 degrees F!

So, I went back to Amazon and purchased about five more of these voltmeters, and I will likely be purchasing another 10 or 12 of these meters over the next few months. I am already using three of the six voltmeters that I purchased, and the rest are sitting on my lab bench, waiting to be mounted in their enclosures (see below. ....).

These meters, as supplied, are meant to be mounted by snapping them into a rectangular cutout in a panel. For my purposes, I wanted to surface-mount these meters on a large wooden board that holds lots of electronic gizmos, and so I took some small 2"W x 4"L plastic enclosures with flange mounts that I found on my workshop stock shelves, and I cut a 3.0"x1.54" rectangular hole in the center of the cover of each flanged plastic box to allow me to snap-fit the meter inside the box cover, then drilled a small hole near the base of each box to allow cable feed, and I then mounted the flanges of little plastic box on the large wooden panel with two screws. Presto! For about ten minutes of extra work, I have surface-mounted digitial voltmers, mounted in their own sturdy protective flanged plastic enclosures. BTW, for the small flanged plastic enclosures, I used LP-21F and LP-31F flanged plastic enclosures from Polycase, the enclosures are listed at [...] the meter is a bit of a tight fit (due to meter housing length) in the LP-21F, and an easy fit in the LP-31F, which is a slightly larger plastic enclosure (it has greater length); you can choose an enclosure color of black, grey or white.

BTW, in light of the two or three rather negative reviews that I noticed for this product, I will note clearly here that all six of the meters that I ordered worked perfectly right out of the package, and have continued to work well since then. And, none of them had their power connectors mis-wired (as some reviewers reported recently), not that such a problem would have posed a major obstacle for me had it occurred. ...
44 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2013
!!!CAUTION!!!: Since writing this review last November (2013), the product has been substituted with another manufacturer's brand and model, so some of what I have written is irrelevant, and I don't know how many other reviews on this substituted product are applicable. Amazon is currently (Aug14) investigating what happened in merging one product's reviews with another product. I would suggest you stick with more recent reviews to get the best assessment of this current product. The original product is no longer listed on Amazon.

Read this review if you really expect this voltmeter to give you an accurate reading.
This Digital Panel Voltmeter (DPM) is a model YB5135D made by YB Electronics Co. There are only two wire leads in this 7.5-20vdc version, which serve as both power to the DPM and measurement of the voltage source in question (e.g., car battery). Therefore polarity is important, and if the voltage source is below +7.5vdc, the DPM will not operate.
I measured several batteries with the DPM and compared the readings with a Fluke 87 VOM and a Fluke 114 VOM. The YB DPM was consistently reading low by 9.5%. The error I was getting would cause me to believe that my fully-charged car/boat/RV battery was only 40% charged.
To correct the problem with the DPM, I turned the screw CCW 6-1/3 turns on the blue potentiometer that is mounted on the printed circuit board. All three meters then agreed (I measured several batteries (9v, 12v, and 20v) again to confirm that the problem was with the meter gain, and not offset as well). I then put a dab of finger nail polish on the screw/potentiometer, so that the screw wouldn't accidentally rotate from where I set it.
Before using one of these YB DPMs, I would strongly suggest checking it against an accurate voltmeter before using it, adjust the potentiometer if needed, and then cement the screw to the potentiometer so that it doesn't get knocked or vibrated out of 'calibration'.
The YB DPM I got uses 18-19mA to power the unit. Normally a DPM has high input impedance, so that the length of the measurement wires is not important. In the case of this DPM, if you use small-gauge wire (e.g., 28AWG) and the DPM is 20 feet or more from the voltage source, then your DPM will not give you an accurate reading. Or if the voltage source being measured has a high internal impedance (unlike a lead-acid battery), then the DPM reading will not give you an accurate reading.
The opening, for the DPM to be mounted in a 0.70-0.125" thick panel, I measured to be 1.535"H x 2.920"W. The overall dimensions of the DPM are 3.128"Wx1.785"Hx1.074"D. The DPM extends 1.025" into the opening from the front of whatever panel you may mount it in.
1414 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2015
Very basic volt meter that suits me just fine as my solar controller does not have a battery voltage readout. My dear wife and I installed this little gem on our marine battery cover (Celia did the template for the cut-out). Very happy with this volt meter with the cool blue-lit window. Now we can tell the state of our battery at a glance (nice big read-out).
review image
on May 16, 2016
I bought one of these to gauge the voltage in my solar system, and was disappointed that it was not accurate. I needed two more, because I have a few independent systems, one for lights, one for my computer, and another for the internet. I went ahead and got two more of these, because an inaccurate meter is better than none at all!

The two new ones were just as inaccurate, and there seemed to be no way to calibrate them. (No obvious potentimeter). Well, I forgot to shut one off before disconnecting the battery while doing other work on the system, and fried it. (i HIGHLY recommend installing an inline switch!)

I started playing around with the dead meter, and noticed what looked like two silver phillips screws in places that, upon reflection, made no sense structurally. Low and behold, after turning the screws, I realized those had to be calibration adjustments. I immediately tried it on the remaining good meters and, boom!, they are accurate now. The screws are marked W and W2 on the board, with the coarse being the W and fine being the W2. These are the boards with the model number D69-131B, lower left corner.

A note on adjustments: I turn the power off before adjusting, to avoid poking the wrong thing with a metal screw driver. After the meters have been on for a few minutes, they seem to read a tiny bit higher. So you may have to turn it a bit lower to compensate. Once it is set properly, it seems to hold its calibration well/

Great meters, now that they are accurate! (Just wish they came with instructions and a case for surface mounting!) They draw very little power, and are very bright. If I did not shut them off a night with a switch, they would be too bright to sleep! (You can also cut the LED lead from the board and add a switch to tun off just the light.) The numbers are 3/4 of an inch tall and bold enough to be seen from across the room. I will be grabbing at least one more, possibly more to complete my system. Much better than contantly using a multimeter to track voltages!
on October 3, 2015
I purchased this one as the ones with 30 days shipping did not come through and I wasted 45 days on the project waiting so this was my second choice. You must power it up first to find out where the top or bottom is, so you install it the right way so it can be read. It has large flanges so the install goes very easy on the cut out process. I used an air powered cutting wheel for the sheet metal. While the rear posts where the wires go are marked positive and negative, it took me two tries to figure out where side to put them in so the power comes in and the wires are locked in. There is no installation instructions despite it being two wires direct to the battery. I hooked it up to a fuse box and am guessing that a 2 amp fuse will be protection enough, however there are no manufacture directions on the matter and of course no web site that I could find. It is what you see pictured that comes in a blank white box and that is it.
on February 27, 2015
I read the review where the poster had received the RioRand LCD Digital Volt Voltage Panel Meter and found it to be inaccurate when tested against his Fluke meter. The first thing I did when I got mine was to test it side by side with my craftsman meter. While not as high end as the Fluke it does just fine and I found the two devices had near identical readings (see picture) when both were attached to my car battery (car not running).

I bought mine as I'm rebuilding the headlight assemblies in my '67 Camaro RS. I'm installing halogen headlights as well as an electrical harness that will shorten the distance of the electrical path, thereby giving more voltage to the lights (= brighter lights). I'm testing and documenting the voltages at each stage to compare old lights vs new lights and old harness vs new harness.

I made 2 leads approximately 3 feet in length with alligator clips on the end so I can see the results while sitting in the car running the engine at a constant rpm.

The Good: So far it has worked flawlessly and does what I need it to. It shipped fast and it was cheap ( I can't believe someone complained the cost was too much! Come on, $8 bucks is too much?!). I would not hesitate to buy this again.

The mediocre (there is no bad really): It was packaged in a small box that was placed in a larger box. During shipping it came out of the smaller box, probably because it wasn't glued/stapled/taped and was just banging around in the larger box. Luckily there was no damage. That brings me to the only other mediocre thing - there is no back to this - the electronics are exposed. This is not a surprise as it has been mentioned in other posts. No biggie. I did what another reviewer did - took a light switch cover and cut out an opening for this to slide into, then put it in a single gang outlet box with the leads coming out of the back. Works great.

EDIT - I tried to attach a pic (as mentioned in my review) of my craftsman meter side by side with the RioRand, showing voltage readings of 12.80 (craftsman) and 12.81 (RioRand) but the process of posting pictures for everyone to see is not intuitive and it didn't work. So you can read my results in this edit. If I could review the Amazon picture posting process I would give it zero stars.
on April 1, 2016
Works as advertised, most likely buy again.

I cut the holding tabs off from the sides due to the fact that they would have interfered with the installation into a very thin luan RV wall, so therefore unless your mounting into a thin plastic dash piece these won't work well.

The good thing is it still holds well into wall.

Another thing that I found is that after fitting into the wall a few times I had removed the label that indicates polarity, and of course i ended up getting it wrong, good thing it didn't blow the unit. I put a red mark on the terminal for future reference.

This display works well if viewed from the front, if you get to around 45 degrees it tends to fade, then come back just before it disappears.
on August 23, 2015
I purchased two of these to monitor the battery voltage of my solar generator. It delivers a sharp bright display that keeps me informed (at a glance) as to the status of my system (as monitored at the battery). It is very bright at night to the point it might be over the top but I like it. The one I purchased uses a two wire configuration (i.e. an alternate source was not required for this thing to work ... just hook it to what you want to monitor).

The panel mount configuration requires a rectangular hole which I found difficult to cut into the tough plastic door of the junction box to which this is mounted. At each end of the meter (behind the facia) is an "ear" that when pushed past the mounting surface will hold the meter in place ... again cutting the hole for the meter and a notch for each of its 2 "ears" will take some patience but deliver a great looking result. Go slow, do it right - great results.
on March 7, 2017
I ordered this meter and installed it immediately when it arrived. It was easy to connect even though there were no instructions. The adjustment screw is tiny and VERY sensitive. This meter displays two digits after the decimal, i.e., 12.78. The display is bright and large enough (numbers are 3/4" high) to easily read from ten feet away without my glasses. I use it to monitor the condition of the battery in a backup power supply for medical equipment. It's also a night light :-)

When I ordered it the description said "only 7 remaining" so I think that there's a chance that the one you receive would not be exactly the same.

I am completely satisfied and think it's a bargain for eight bucks. I recommend this meter.
review image
on February 1, 2016
I had compared with Sun Force Charging Controller for solar charging is very close to well matched with each others on my same circuit. If you worry about, 'how much battery drainage to run this meter because of LED light?' I had teated it on 12 volt circuit. It had come out around 9mAh. = to around 100mw. With larger size Lead-Acid battery, 100mw. current is very slow of drainage. And by the way, this meter is design to mount it into finished plywood, plastic and thin metal box. You measure then cut out rectangle hole, just big enough to fit in this meter into your finished box or dash.