Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > Steve Jobs forum

Digital just won't do

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 8, 2011, 6:53:26 AM PDT
Tim the Duke says:
I did not think for a second of getting the kindle version. Some things are just too special to be "virtual". I don't have a problem with "virtual music". But for me books are different. This will be a keepsake. The only reason I ever go digital is if the digital version has a steep discount.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011, 7:20:10 AM PDT
I completely agree. When I have kids I'll tell them I lived in the time of Steve Jobs.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011, 11:45:56 AM PDT
D. L. says:
Same here. I had a $7 gift card for B&N, so I pre-ordered the hardcover from there.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011, 12:31:00 PM PDT
Ade says:
I have read a lot of biographies and all of them (that I could find) about Apple, so I'm really looking forward to this one. I too want this on the shelf. I want people to ask to borrow it. I want my wife and kids to find out why Steve Jobs was such an inspiration to me and my business.

Thanks for everything Steve. RIP

Posted on Oct 8, 2011, 3:28:32 PM PDT
Calvin J. says:
Personally, I prefer getting a physical album, with all the lyrics an liner notes and artwork, opposed to digital. I despise this digital revolution that's taking place. Thanks, Steve.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011, 3:34:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2011, 3:35:40 PM PDT
Tim the Duke says:
Obviously a lot of people don't care about the physical album. You are in the minority. You are going to blame Steve for giving people what they want? Yeah, I'd really love to go back to buying a whole CD just to get one good song (not). I still buy CD's from my favorite artists (if they make good complete albums). The digital revolution is being driven by people, so you have made a really brain-dead remark.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011, 4:31:22 PM PDT
Calvin J. says:
A word of advice: don't buy albums that only have one good song.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011, 4:35:05 PM PDT
Tim the Duke says:
And my other option too listen to the songs I like is then?

Posted on Oct 9, 2011, 8:46:39 PM PDT
Mighty Mouse says:
I'll be getting the Kindle version. And if I like it enough, I'll probably buy the hardcover version, just to have around the house, for the above reasons. I have no problems buying good books twice.

Posted on Oct 9, 2011, 9:25:58 PM PDT
Hi All with this book a free sticker of steve jobs signature if comes it will be very nice. Amazon can do that in remembrance of steve jobs for the profit sales for this book

Posted on Oct 9, 2011, 10:31:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2011, 9:22:34 AM PDT
WayneChicago says:
As Mr. Jobs himself promoted with iBooks, I adore the digital version of books, including this biography. I will have it digitally, forever. It will remain pristine, without yellowed pages, moldy odor or silverfish scurrying out of the binding. It won't have sneeze snots on page 101, or Hershey's chocolate on the binding. If my house burns down from a fire, I still have the book, safely in the Apple (or Amazon) cloud.

Some things are just too special not to have in virtual format.

Thank you, Mr. Jobs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011, 1:57:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2011, 1:58:36 AM PDT
Tim the Duke says:
@ Chapman agreed. I have bought some of my favorite books several times. I think I lend them out or they get lost during moving, so I buy the digital version for backup. Books that I know I will find interesting, but just don't see a need for a hard copy of, I buy digital.
@coolreviewer the yellowed pages, snot and chocolate give it character. Make it "yours" IMO. :)

Posted on Oct 10, 2011, 8:36:51 AM PDT
Fred says:
I'll get both, I preordered the hardback but I plan on getting the iBook version for my iPad 2. Steve Jobs was my hero, I've only used Mac my entire life (I'm 45 as of Oct. 8th) I'll always recall him passing away 3 days before my birthday.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011, 9:15:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2011, 9:17:15 AM PDT
BenB says:
I pre-ordered it from the Apple book store for my iPad. It's the same price and seems more appropriate to buy it from Apple. Also I like the Apple reader better.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011, 1:50:11 AM PDT
D. L. says:
There's nothing special about the digital version. Anybody can have it on their screen in 5 seconds.
I have had a computer since I was 12, but I still can't dig into reading books/magazines off the screen

Posted on Oct 19, 2011, 4:13:49 AM PDT
Digital would honor him, hardcover would be a slap in the face... of his memory

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011, 7:35:27 AM PDT
Tim,

You are not going to have a choice (except for not reading new books) because within 10 years most books will be only out in electronic versions which will cost more than the hard copy books of today.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011, 7:52:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2011, 7:53:21 AM PDT
WayneChicago says:
Bigbrother's right. And hallelujah for it. No more silverfish in bindings, broken spines, dogged yellow pages and musty Fig Newton sneezes on page 100!

Posted on Oct 22, 2011, 8:16:27 AM PDT
common_man says:
The most important part of the book is the actual content. I can access the content easier on my iPad 2 when I am commuting on the train.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011, 11:44:19 AM PDT
My wife and I have parted with many books over the years as our volumes always increase faster than our shelf space. Library sales have done very well by us but I love the idea of carrying my entire library in my hand. Cookbooks, deep-discount or clearance paperbacks, and books with graphics or photographs are the exceptions.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011, 5:57:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2011, 5:57:46 PM PDT
EastSide says:
similarly, I almost always buy CD's instead of MP3's and I'm "young" :) the reason is, I'm into hi-fi music and own audiophile-grade equipment. The quality of CDs is far better than compressed MP3's. And you can always create your own MP3's from your CD's if you need them for the road (ipod,etc).. Why people buy trashy quality MP3 albums when it's cheaper to buy a master-quality CD, is beyond me!

Posted on Oct 23, 2011, 8:30:13 PM PDT
T. Fengjun says:
The kindle version will be arrived immediately whereas the hardcover will take up to two weeks before reaches my hand. So I probably will use the kindle version. I didn't use any products from apple, but I'm interested in them and also Steve.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011, 8:58:26 PM PDT
Tim Tringle says:
What does that mean?

Posted on Oct 27, 2011, 10:42:05 AM PDT
Movie Monkey says:
I personally never thought I would like reading books digitally, but I read my first one this week, and I enjoyed it. It was nice not having to carry a book around with me everywhere. I could read on my iPhone while I was traveling, or pick it up on my iPad at night. No reason to carry around something else to take up space. It worked flawlessly, and will definitly be using this service in the future (as long as the price is right).

The biggest drawback is when my sister wanted to borrow the book, and she couldn't since it was on my user ID. But I guess this is good for publishers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011, 1:35:36 PM PDT
Louis Bedard says:
just listen to the top 20 channel on radio you'll find your song there
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Steve Jobs forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about
Steve Jobs
Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson (Hardcover - October 24, 2011)
4.6 out of 5 stars (5,260)