Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Digital Albums GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 44 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 50 reviews
on June 22, 2012
I like science fiction. But I find it difficult to like this book.

There are two types of readers. The first reads to find out what happens, and the second reads to enjoy how the author lays out the unfolding story with words. This book is clearly written for the first type of readers. The plot is very linear: it lays out the challenges faced by the characters in a very linear fashion, and, in almost all cases, each challenge is neatly resolved within a few pages after being introduced. There is no suspense, there is no mystery, there is no excitement. It is as if the characters are going through a long exam -- read the next problem, solve it, pat self on the back, rinse, repeat. That is a poor way to tell a story.

And the story itself is not that great to begin with. The main characters possess such overwhelming technological, material (monetary or otherwise), intellectual, and supernatural capabilities that there is never any doubt that they will, in the end, prevail. Sure, they do suffer setbacks, but it is obvious that the setbacks are awkwardly inserted into the plot to keep the story unfinished (so that the author can write a sequel). The extraordinary capabilities possessed by the characters (which are numerous) are poorly developed -- used as nothing more than a time-saving device so that the main characters can achieve in days the accomplishments (ranging from scientific discovery, engineering feat, to finding true love) that would typically require years. Instead of making the characters fascinating, these extraordinary capabilities makes their accomplishments underwhelming. Going against all odds makes a good story. Having all odds stacked in your favor, not so much.

Two stars. Not the worst book I have ever read, but that is about all I can say.
on January 6, 2017
I really like the plot ideas. And a bonus, I only noticed 2 or 3 editing errors and no formatting errors. Also in my opinion 2 to 3 stars is an acceptable book.

What was really disappointing was the conversations and thinking that was written. Hopefully Ms Stone will get better the more she writes. I would recommend that she find someone with which to bounce her ideas, plots and writing to assist her in keeping on track and not become or stay infantile.

The start of the book was very amateurish. And, having stated that I will stick with her for at least one more book
on June 28, 2017
I liked both the story and it's telling. My only complaint is on a technical issue, a nuke WOULD have worked if used sooner. Nothing of this earth survives a direct nuclear detonation, the X-Ray, gamma ray exposure alone makes that a certainty. Ok that's a small thing in an otherwise very good book.
on December 16, 2011
Dimensional Shift: First Step is a gripping science fiction story about a group of young prodigies working to create new technologies to ensure the survival and continuation of the human species. The story begins with one such prodigy arriving to work at a super secret lab. As he passes through security and grows more and more perplexed, I felt my own fascination with the story increasing. I was hooked from the very first page. The story plays out as a struggle to overcome technical problems in advanced materials manufacturing -- which I enjoyed greatly -- and quickly morphs into action and excitement as shadowy figures attempt to steal the new technologies for their own use. To this intriguing setup, author Stone adds an interweaving story spanning millennia which had me scratching my head at first ... but when the truth was finally revealed and it all came together, I realized how complex and unique the story truly was. Kudos to the writer, for it kept me reading and enjoying the book. Dimensional Shift is a highly original story.

Overall I found it compelling and enjoyable. At times I found the scientists' struggle to overcome materials problems to be the most engaging element of the story. I am assuming the author is in fact a scientist of sorts -- the technology is interesting and unique and the discussions about the advances needed to protect against natural disasters was utterly mesmerizing.

I recommend this book as good escapist entertainment.
on March 20, 2013
I really enjoyed this trilogy. However, there were some errors made that in light of current events, need to be addressed. The primary one is repeated in this book and the next. Ms. Stone says that the Christians sacked the library at Alexandria and that is false. In fact, no one is quite sure WHO sacked it as there were four attempts.

"Ancient and modern sources identify four possible occasions for the partial or complete destruction of the Library of Alexandria: Julius Caesar's fire in the Alexandrian War, in 48 BC; the attack of Aurelian in AD 270 - 275; the decree of Coptic Pope Theophilus in AD 391; and the Muslim conquest in AD 642 or thereafter."

In view of this, her continuous attribution to Christians causing the destruction is somewhat akin to persecution and offensive. Nevertheless, I recommend this trilogy for its originality and science. I truly revelled in the "new" science she promulgated and hope that she will continue with this series. It would also be nice if in future editions, she were to edit out the attribution of destruction to Christianity.
on May 28, 2014
Another fine case of an indie needing an editor/proofreader. Extensive amounts of improper punctuation and/or missing punctuation.

I note that others have commented on the use of double quotation marks for 'thoughts', so I will leave it there.

Also noted that situations were too easily rectified by the characters without any real hardships.

Then there's the case of the author writing dialogue for the characters who are constantly calling each other by name. Huh? Does anybody really do that?
on March 22, 2013
Perhaps I misread the summary, but this appears to be a book for sophomoric pre-teens. Bad science and poor writing. The storylines (and there are several) make no sense in relation to one another.

An important part of quality fiction writing is the ability to suspect the reader's disbelief. Each part of this was so unbelievable, I could not suspect my disbelief, and the author did not help. The hint at sexuality was degrading to the characters and to the reading and appears to be an attempt to create a more contemporary milieu.

I only paid $.099 for this, and it is not an issue about money. It is about marketing poor quality books and writing well, and this is not well written.
on April 29, 2015
I enjoyed reading this book. It was not what I expected, which was refreshing. It is an easy read yet it does go into details that are important. If you like stories that introduce some new technological ideas and aren't the same things that we are used to in science fiction then you will probably like this book. It also shows some interesting insights into humanity and why we tend to be self-destructive. Overall I would recommend this book for some light enjoyable reading.
on May 29, 2014
In an odd sort of way, this book reminded me a little of the old movie "Damnation Alley". Survival of the planet gone wild. Except that this is due to a contagion instead of nuclear war. All and all, I enjoyed the book very much. I even plunked down hard cash to get the sequel. Book writing takes some time and I got this book while waiting for other authors to finish their next books. I was NOT disappointed. Michelle will become one of those authors that I look for on the "book shelf".
on April 5, 2012
Although sometimes feeling a little overwhelmed by the science part of this book, the main story is good enough to prevent me from getting bogged down in stuff I have no hope of ever understanding. Even for an Interior Decorator who has no left brain at all, it's easy to become captivated by the "what ifs" of this book. I'm looking forward to reading the second book!