BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Chris young PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 22, 2014
This light is extremely bright! Using my Nikon D600 camera with 6 NiMH AA's installed in the light with no diffuser, in a dark room, an exposure of a white wall from 1 meter is:
ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/160 with center being brightest and severe falloff at the edges of a 24mm frame. This equates to around 2600 Lux @ 1 meter.

I used an Extech multimeter to measure at the battery terminals:
On 6 AA's at 7.76 V (no load), at full light power, current consumption is 1.4 Ah; at half brightness (one stop darker) 560 mAh; and at minimum power (5.67 stops less than full) 26 mAh (the light turns off after this level).

It's impossible to look at the light at full power and for video work, I can't imagine ever using it for fill, but it certainly can light up a large room if you need to. You could save money and buy the CN-160 if you need it just for fill light.

In a real world example, at full power with diffuser, in an 8x12 room facing the long way @24mm, the D600 metered ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/30. You would have to shoot at least at 50mm to minimize vignetting though.

If you would use this at full power, you would need a change of batteries every hour. However for typical video fill light use, it might last 4-10 hours depending on brightness.

White balance according to Lightroom custom WB picker with a D600 RAW file on a calibrated neutral target is:
Orange Diffuser: 3350K, -4
White Diffuser: 5100K, +11
Pink Diffuser: 4950K, -12
review image
66 comments| 221 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2014
The price is best among similar offerings. Feature set is good. The problem is the color difference between same product. It is useful as a single light source, but its use as part multiple lighting setup is hampered by inconsistent light colors. Latest version with clean white light is preferable to older version with green cast.

Neewer should be commended for the price. At this price, there are no better alternatives. This is good for videographers and photographers alike.

It is bright. It is portable; it takes 6 AA batteries. There is also adapter on the bay, which I have yet to test.

The only problem is in color of the light. There is one product in name, but two distinct versions in terms of color. One is clean white like one expects from a white light. The other has green cast; this is the older version.

Slight color cast itself is not a difficult problem. Modern cameras have white-balance. The real problem is when the two gets mixed in the lighting set. Side-by-side, the color difference is noticeable. The newer clean white is preferable.

Source of the problem is they are sold mixed when you order from Amazon. Sometimes you will get the former, sometimes you will get the latter. I ordered three lights on three different occasions. I received one clean white version and two green cast versions.

To ascertain which was the right one, I ordered direct from Neewer via the bay. My suspicion was right, they had fixed the green cast problem in newer ones. They also got rid of the magenta filter, which is no longer needed to counteract the green spike. Although not always the case, telltale sign of newer version is "Neewer" branding on the box and on the light. Older version will say "Nanguang."

This LED light is still an excellent value. If you are planning to use just one light, then buy it and set white-balance. However, if you are planning to use more than one, be sure to get the newer version with the clean white light.
33 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2017
When I received the light something was rattling inside after shaking it a small nut fell out. After testing the light it still worked so I took it out on it's initial use. Afterwards I took the light apart to see where the nut came from. It was part of the attachment screws for the hot shoe base. Using tweezers I was able to maneuver it back into place. It took additional maneuvering and tweezering (to get the screws back into place to tighten) to get the entire unit back together again. That does not give me confidence in quality control for this product. Though the inside and exterior build seemed solid, albeit plastic, otherwise.

One other issue I have is with the plastic hot shoe base. It will tilt up and down but cannot pan left or right. A ball head type of base would have a better option. I would have preferred a 1/4 - 20 insert in the light housing instead of the bottom of the hot shoe base. The base is all plastic. If/when it breaks there'll be no way to attach it to a camera again. You get what you pay for I guess. Which is a very amateur/consumer level product.
on May 10, 2011
The product description fails to list all of the attributes of this light. In particular, it fails to note that the unit has an intensity adjustment control knob and that the unit takes various kinds of batteries, including AA's. It is in fact (or appears to be) EXACTLY the same unit sold, at a substantially higher price ($20+), by several other vendors on amazon.
Note: the shoe-mount bracket is plastic and the top-heavy unit could thus break off a camera's hot shoe mount if you handle the camera roughly/ carelessly. But if you handle this with reasonable care, it is a good accessory at a good price.
on June 14, 2017
This light works well at lower levels and great at high levels. It can get very bright. I like the batter charge estimator on the back - it seems accurate. I tested it on a video and the results look fine. Mostly I use these at home when I need extra lights - or when I'm shooting a video at an away location where I need a quick easy setup.

I like it so much, I bought a second.
on June 22, 2015
Awesome light! It's really bright, and if you have a cheaper camera (like I do), one that had a pretty bad light sensor, this will drastically improve your quality. My Canon Vixia HF R50 does not do well in low-light situations. Partnered up with the softbox for it, this looks amazing. I love the fact you can dim the brightness, as this does get very bright, and in some shots, it could easily be too bright. I'll probably take this camping with me since it is easily better than any flashlights I have. The batteries last a while, unless you're on full brightness. I've yet to completely kill batteries in it, I just charge them after each shoot. I never seem to have a problem. They have lasted through several shoots without recharging, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
on January 5, 2016
5 stars for the first 6 months and I was happy.
6 months later, the dimmer switch came off.
So I had to unscrew the front panel to get in.
The switch mount screw is tiny and there is no extra washer to prevent from loosening.
After fixing once, it happened again a few month later.
I am going another brand for now, but this bright light is potential and hope new improved version comes soon.
on February 19, 2014
Update: Almost immediately after I made the very positive below review of this product (which I will leave intact), the dimmer switch came lose. Buy the CN 304, which has a separate power switch. There is a tiny screw that holds the dimmer wheel in place on the inside that came out. My boyfriend took it apart and fixed it in about 15 minutes but it has happened again. The problem is, the tighter you screw the screw the less likely it is to come off, but the less you will be able to move the dimmer wheel as well, leaving no real fix to this problem except to leave the brightness always up and just unplug the battery when not in use. My boyfriend will probably solder in a new switch or something. He also made an AC adapter with the included panasonic battery adapter and a universal AC adapter.

Original review:
I use this with wedding videography and it is surprisingly bright even with the orange panel on it (which is necessary when shooting in warm lighted environments). It can light up a scene 30-40 feet away well enough for my Sony HVR-Z1U to use at 60fps 1.6 aperture and high gain. Medium gain at 20 feet, low gain within 15 feet. I liked it so much I am also purchasing a 300 light one that will hopefully be bright enough to shine through an umbrella and use for photography. Also, the battery "np-F550" I purchased for it through seller "SF Planet" for nine dollars powered it for 2 hours and 10 minutes after a full charge. Haven't tried AAs.
on October 16, 2017
I purchased this light from Neewer, and a similar one from of different brand. The Neewer light is well made and performed perfectly. The shoe mount attached to my camcorder tightly. The dimmer worked perfectly, and did not flicker. I used this all night at a wedding reception, and it provided the perfect amount of lighting for what I needed. The other light was poor quality. I highly recommend this light!
on March 1, 2017
This is exactly what i was looking for... I don't shoot video from my camera but i sometimes am in these lighting issues at night sneaking out with the bride and groom for those last images. This mounts to my tripod or light stands. I heard it is a battery sucker but i used it with rechargeables and it lasted all the while I needed it to!