Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on February 22, 2014
This light is extremely bright! Using my Nikon D600 camera with 6 NiMH AA's installed in the light with no diffuser, in a dark room, an exposure of a white wall from 1 meter is:
ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/160 with center being brightest and severe falloff at the edges of a 24mm frame. This equates to around 2600 Lux @ 1 meter.

I used an Extech multimeter to measure at the battery terminals:
On 6 AA's at 7.76 V (no load), at full light power, current consumption is 1.4 Ah; at half brightness (one stop darker) 560 mAh; and at minimum power (5.67 stops less than full) 26 mAh (the light turns off after this level).

It's impossible to look at the light at full power and for video work, I can't imagine ever using it for fill, but it certainly can light up a large room if you need to. You could save money and buy the CN-160 if you need it just for fill light.

In a real world example, at full power with diffuser, in an 8x12 room facing the long way @24mm, the D600 metered ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/30. You would have to shoot at least at 50mm to minimize vignetting though.

If you would use this at full power, you would need a change of batteries every hour. However for typical video fill light use, it might last 4-10 hours depending on brightness.

White balance according to Lightroom custom WB picker with a D600 RAW file on a calibrated neutral target is:
Orange Diffuser: 3350K, -4
White Diffuser: 5100K, +11
Pink Diffuser: 4950K, -12
review image
66 comments| 230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 15, 2014
The price is best among similar offerings. Feature set is good. The problem is the color difference between same product. It is useful as a single light source, but its use as part multiple lighting setup is hampered by inconsistent light colors. Latest version with clean white light is preferable to older version with green cast.

Neewer should be commended for the price. At this price, there are no better alternatives. This is good for videographers and photographers alike.

It is bright. It is portable; it takes 6 AA batteries. There is also adapter on the bay, which I have yet to test.

The only problem is in color of the light. There is one product in name, but two distinct versions in terms of color. One is clean white like one expects from a white light. The other has green cast; this is the older version.

Slight color cast itself is not a difficult problem. Modern cameras have white-balance. The real problem is when the two gets mixed in the lighting set. Side-by-side, the color difference is noticeable. The newer clean white is preferable.

Source of the problem is they are sold mixed when you order from Amazon. Sometimes you will get the former, sometimes you will get the latter. I ordered three lights on three different occasions. I received one clean white version and two green cast versions.

To ascertain which was the right one, I ordered direct from Neewer via the bay. My suspicion was right, they had fixed the green cast problem in newer ones. They also got rid of the magenta filter, which is no longer needed to counteract the green spike. Although not always the case, telltale sign of newer version is "Neewer" branding on the box and on the light. Older version will say "Nanguang."

This LED light is still an excellent value. If you are planning to use just one light, then buy it and set white-balance. However, if you are planning to use more than one, be sure to get the newer version with the clean white light.
33 comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 26, 2016
If you happen to be deciding between the 216 and the 160 version of this light ......... go with this 216 . I have both , they both work really well , but the 216 is brighter and has whiter look . The version with the lesser bulbs has a green tint and pink filter that comes with it to balance it out . I didn't notice it at first , but it was very apparent when you put them both side by side .
Not only are these lights great for filming , but you should keep one these in your car for emergency. When you put this light on full blast , it's enough to light up Yankee Stadium.
on March 11, 2015
This on camera light is great! I was afraid about the quality, but it's more than i expected.
I would recommend it with a pack of AA Batteries.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on March 11, 2017
When I received the light something was rattling inside after shaking it a small nut fell out. After testing the light it still worked so I took it out on it's initial use. Afterwards I took the light apart to see where the nut came from. It was part of the attachment screws for the hot shoe base. Using tweezers I was able to maneuver it back into place. It took additional maneuvering and tweezering (to get the screws back into place to tighten) to get the entire unit back together again. That does not give me confidence in quality control for this product. Though the inside and exterior build seemed solid, albeit plastic, otherwise.

One other issue I have is with the plastic hot shoe base. It will tilt up and down but cannot pan left or right. A ball head type of base would have a better option. I would have preferred a 1/4 - 20 insert in the light housing instead of the bottom of the hot shoe base. The base is all plastic. If/when it breaks there'll be no way to attach it to a camera again. You get what you pay for I guess. Which is a very amateur/consumer level product.
on March 26, 2016
 Build quality is about what you would expect for a low-cost light. It's a cheap build and may not last, but it is priced right and you get what you pay for so I don't knock it for that. The Panasonic battery adapter broke almost immediately. That is a shame because I have a lot of Panasonic batteries from old camcorders. Light is very bright and overall, reasonably white with the defuser on. As you can see, it peaks strongly in the blues, but otherwise has a reasonable curve. Compared to a daylight 5000k fluorescent, it is a much more video friendly color balance. Be sure to properly white balance your camera, and it will work well.

The dimmer works well so you could use this at less than full power for an accent light. I am thinking about getting a second one for that purpose. Because it is so bright at full power, I think if I was lighting an interview or other static shot, I would probably use two offset about 45 degrees from each other running about 3/4 power.
review imagereview image
on February 16, 2018
The light itself is super bright and the form factor is great. HOWEVER, mine came defective and wasn't able to get it replaced by the time i had to fully use the light itself. If only there was a way to get exchange this for a work one as mine does turn on, but the knob to switch it from off and on is not screwed on tight enough i think? Let's just say that I turn on the light but there's not light, BUT if I hold down the switch or move it a little a certain direction it'll stay on, but that leaves me with my finger stuck on the switch the whole time. BUMMER! :/ Be careful if you purchase this and make sure it works as soon as you get it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 22, 2011
 This is a very bright light. I wasn't expecting much out of it honestly. The adjustable brightness is fantastic to have on this device. The low levels are great for filler light in pictures or video. The light on full power is very bright. Enough to light up a small room pretty well. The only thing I don't like is that the base is a little flimsy. I may get around to making a better one since it has bolts that appear to come off. Overall a great investment for a camera.

UPDATE: About the flimsy base. I took one of the joints out and just screwed the base directly to the light unit (see the pic I added). No additional parts or modifications needed. This is much more sturdier when mounted now. Also, not a big fan of any of the colored filters. They are just too strong. The frosted diffuser is all I use and it works fine. This has turned out to be a lot better than I was expecting. I want to order another one and use it for lighting a green screen behind someone because they are so small and bright.

Another update: Made this review October 22, 2011. It's now September 2013. Looking back this is not a very good review but oh well. Anyways, the light is still working fine. Nothing broken and all led's still light up. With the fix above about removing one of the joints on the base, I've had no mounting issues. I use this light all the time both for video, photos as well as around the house whenever I need a light. It's a really bright light. The only thing to add is that the battery charge indicator on the back isn't the most trustworthy. It seems to be based on voltage so my rechargables always show low on it. I use eneloop with it and I go a pretty long way between recharges. I still recommend this light to people.
review image
77 comments| 280 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 19, 2014
Update: Almost immediately after I made the very positive below review of this product (which I will leave intact), the dimmer switch came lose. Buy the CN 304, which has a separate power switch. There is a tiny screw that holds the dimmer wheel in place on the inside that came out. My boyfriend took it apart and fixed it in about 15 minutes but it has happened again. The problem is, the tighter you screw the screw the less likely it is to come off, but the less you will be able to move the dimmer wheel as well, leaving no real fix to this problem except to leave the brightness always up and just unplug the battery when not in use. My boyfriend will probably solder in a new switch or something. He also made an AC adapter with the included panasonic battery adapter and a universal AC adapter.

Original review:
I use this with wedding videography and it is surprisingly bright even with the orange panel on it (which is necessary when shooting in warm lighted environments). It can light up a scene 30-40 feet away well enough for my Sony HVR-Z1U to use at 60fps 1.6 aperture and high gain. Medium gain at 20 feet, low gain within 15 feet. I liked it so much I am also purchasing a 300 light one that will hopefully be bright enough to shine through an umbrella and use for photography. Also, the battery "np-F550" I purchased for it through seller "SF Planet" for nine dollars powered it for 2 hours and 10 minutes after a full charge. Haven't tried AAs.
This Neewer 216 LED Light is a lot more powerful then the 160 LED Light
It was simple to install on my DSLR Video Shooting Rig, I also added a Neewer Softbox using some super Velcro to help keep in in place
Installing the Softbox was a PITA with it's simple strap, Super Velcro was the way to go, It won't fall off and even move any now.
I Had order 2 of these Neewer 216 LED Lights, One to also keep in my portable studio bag just in case I need more light
I also ordered 2 of the DSTE® NP-F750 Replacement Li-ion Battery for Sony for more Lighting time
I am very pleased with this purchase from Amazon and Neewer, I use a lot of Neewer photography and video gear in my work, and have always been a big fan of their products
I would strongly recommend buying these Neewer 216 Led Lights,