Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 359 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 381 reviews
on February 22, 2014
This light is extremely bright! Using my Nikon D600 camera with 6 NiMH AA's installed in the light with no diffuser, in a dark room, an exposure of a white wall from 1 meter is:
ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/160 with center being brightest and severe falloff at the edges of a 24mm frame. This equates to around 2600 Lux @ 1 meter.

I used an Extech multimeter to measure at the battery terminals:
On 6 AA's at 7.76 V (no load), at full light power, current consumption is 1.4 Ah; at half brightness (one stop darker) 560 mAh; and at minimum power (5.67 stops less than full) 26 mAh (the light turns off after this level).

It's impossible to look at the light at full power and for video work, I can't imagine ever using it for fill, but it certainly can light up a large room if you need to. You could save money and buy the CN-160 if you need it just for fill light.

In a real world example, at full power with diffuser, in an 8x12 room facing the long way @24mm, the D600 metered ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/30. You would have to shoot at least at 50mm to minimize vignetting though.

If you would use this at full power, you would need a change of batteries every hour. However for typical video fill light use, it might last 4-10 hours depending on brightness.

White balance according to Lightroom custom WB picker with a D600 RAW file on a calibrated neutral target is:
Orange Diffuser: 3350K, -4
White Diffuser: 5100K, +11
Pink Diffuser: 4950K, -12
review image
66 comments| 210 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2014
The price is best among similar offerings. Feature set is good. The problem is the color difference between same product. It is useful as a single light source, but its use as part multiple lighting setup is hampered by inconsistent light colors. Latest version with clean white light is preferable to older version with green cast.

Neewer should be commended for the price. At this price, there are no better alternatives. This is good for videographers and photographers alike.

It is bright. It is portable; it takes 6 AA batteries. There is also adapter on the bay, which I have yet to test.

The only problem is in color of the light. There is one product in name, but two distinct versions in terms of color. One is clean white like one expects from a white light. The other has green cast; this is the older version.

Slight color cast itself is not a difficult problem. Modern cameras have white-balance. The real problem is when the two gets mixed in the lighting set. Side-by-side, the color difference is noticeable. The newer clean white is preferable.

Source of the problem is they are sold mixed when you order from Amazon. Sometimes you will get the former, sometimes you will get the latter. I ordered three lights on three different occasions. I received one clean white version and two green cast versions.

To ascertain which was the right one, I ordered direct from Neewer via the bay. My suspicion was right, they had fixed the green cast problem in newer ones. They also got rid of the magenta filter, which is no longer needed to counteract the green spike. Although not always the case, telltale sign of newer version is "Neewer" branding on the box and on the light. Older version will say "Nanguang."

This LED light is still an excellent value. If you are planning to use just one light, then buy it and set white-balance. However, if you are planning to use more than one, be sure to get the newer version with the clean white light.
33 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2016
If you happen to be deciding between the 216 and the 160 version of this light ......... go with this 216 . I have both , they both work really well , but the 216 is brighter and has whiter look . The version with the lesser bulbs has a green tint and pink filter that comes with it to balance it out . I didn't notice it at first , but it was very apparent when you put them both side by side .
Not only are these lights great for filming , but you should keep one these in your car for emergency. When you put this light on full blast , it's enough to light up Yankee Stadium.
on October 14, 2016
This Neewer 216 LED Light is a lot more powerful then the 160 LED Light
It was simple to install on my DSLR Video Shooting Rig, I also added a Neewer Softbox using some super Velcro to help keep in in place
Installing the Softbox was a PITA with it's simple strap, Super Velcro was the way to go, It won't fall off and even move any now.
I Had order 2 of these Neewer 216 LED Lights, One to also keep in my portable studio bag just in case I need more light
I also ordered 2 of the DSTE® NP-F750 Replacement Li-ion Battery for Sony for more Lighting time
I am very pleased with this purchase from Amazon and Neewer, I use a lot of Neewer photography and video gear in my work, and have always been a big fan of their products
I would strongly recommend buying these Neewer 216 Led Lights,
By Kurbster Photography
kurbster.com
on March 11, 2017
When I received the light something was rattling inside after shaking it a small nut fell out. After testing the light it still worked so I took it out on it's initial use. Afterwards I took the light apart to see where the nut came from. It was part of the attachment screws for the hot shoe base. Using tweezers I was able to maneuver it back into place. It took additional maneuvering and tweezering (to get the screws back into place to tighten) to get the entire unit back together again. That does not give me confidence in quality control for this product. Though the inside and exterior build seemed solid, albeit plastic, otherwise.

One other issue I have is with the plastic hot shoe base. It will tilt up and down but cannot pan left or right. A ball head type of base would have a better option. I would have preferred a 1/4 - 20 insert in the light housing instead of the bottom of the hot shoe base. The base is all plastic. If/when it breaks there'll be no way to attach it to a camera again. You get what you pay for I guess. Which is a very amateur/consumer level product.
on November 24, 2016
Love it! I was planning on using this as a hair light but for my last shoot I actually put it on the boom and used it to illuminate the background. For $40 bucks, it can't be beat. I might be getting another on for accent lighting in the future. I wouldn't count on it as a key light, but maybe a fill light. I'm very happy with how this worked. I took a screen shot for you below.
on March 15, 2017
Just what I needed for video work. The practical distance for me is about 10 feet max. as a sole source at night. Others have gone into greater detail than I will here, so I won't be repetitive. The light fall-off at the edges is no problem in my applications, such as, footage of a pine marten trying to rip a suet feeder off of my deck at 3AM (he was unsuccessful). Any illumination less than this 216 provides is of no use to me.
on March 1, 2017
This is exactly what i was looking for... I don't shoot video from my camera but i sometimes am in these lighting issues at night sneaking out with the bride and groom for those last images. This mounts to my tripod or light stands. I heard it is a battery sucker but i used it with rechargeables and it lasted all the while I needed it to!
on November 28, 2014
I saw a similar product on the NYC Halloween Parade and was so impressed by the brightness that I decided to research this. I had also looked at the Manfrotto at the photo expo in NYC. The Manfrotto version was the brightest of the ones I can physically compare but expensive. I ended up buying this product based on the reviews I found and the price.

When I got it home, I turned it on at full power and the light was blinding! but unfortunately, it is deceivingly bright. The lighting distance dies off at a certain distance. based on guesstimate, I would say, considering my small apartment, that anything further than 6 feet would require you to adjust your shutter/ISO to get enough light in. I wouldn't recommend this for still shots without secondary lighting or having the light close to the subject. It is NOT a replacement for a flash.

With that, what I do like about this and why I gave it 4 stars is that I can take good portrait\macro shots if taken at close distance as it does cover a good range. Since my reason for purchase was for macro, it's great deal. Also, it is very light even with the AA batteries. I took some shots with one hand holding the light and the other taking the photo. I umm, wouldn't recommend this. read on for why.

What I don't like and this is nit picking, is that the battery compartment is exposed. I did get the Sony NP-F550 battery but I had to charge this before using this so I put on the AA batteries in to test. There is a plastic piece to attach when using AA batteries to keep it in place but it's not a full cover as it exposes the batteries and doesn't stay on well when dropped. Yes I did drop it on the first day while hand holding but luckily nothing broke.

I didn't test for video which is probably the better use for this but I wanted something steady for macro photography and this will do the trick.
on April 10, 2017
Super bright (why I bought it), but nothing else. Yes, it will brighten up everything and is VERY useful for that. However, a few LEDs were dead on arrival and it does flicker somewhat at lower powers. I use Yongnuo LED lights for everything else which are much better to work with (construction, ease of use, flicker, reliability...)