Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 668 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 714 reviews
on February 22, 2014
This light is extremely bright! Using my Nikon D600 camera with 6 NiMH AA's installed in the light with no diffuser, in a dark room, an exposure of a white wall from 1 meter is:
ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/160 with center being brightest and severe falloff at the edges of a 24mm frame. This equates to around 2600 Lux @ 1 meter.

I used an Extech multimeter to measure at the battery terminals:
On 6 AA's at 7.76 V (no load), at full light power, current consumption is 1.4 Ah; at half brightness (one stop darker) 560 mAh; and at minimum power (5.67 stops less than full) 26 mAh (the light turns off after this level).

It's impossible to look at the light at full power and for video work, I can't imagine ever using it for fill, but it certainly can light up a large room if you need to. You could save money and buy the CN-160 if you need it just for fill light.

In a real world example, at full power with diffuser, in an 8x12 room facing the long way @24mm, the D600 metered ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/30. You would have to shoot at least at 50mm to minimize vignetting though.

If you would use this at full power, you would need a change of batteries every hour. However for typical video fill light use, it might last 4-10 hours depending on brightness.

White balance according to Lightroom custom WB picker with a D600 RAW file on a calibrated neutral target is:
Orange Diffuser: 3350K, -4
White Diffuser: 5100K, +11
Pink Diffuser: 4950K, -12
review image
66 comments| 220 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2014
The price is best among similar offerings. Feature set is good. The problem is the color difference between same product. It is useful as a single light source, but its use as part multiple lighting setup is hampered by inconsistent light colors. Latest version with clean white light is preferable to older version with green cast.

Neewer should be commended for the price. At this price, there are no better alternatives. This is good for videographers and photographers alike.

It is bright. It is portable; it takes 6 AA batteries. There is also adapter on the bay, which I have yet to test.

The only problem is in color of the light. There is one product in name, but two distinct versions in terms of color. One is clean white like one expects from a white light. The other has green cast; this is the older version.

Slight color cast itself is not a difficult problem. Modern cameras have white-balance. The real problem is when the two gets mixed in the lighting set. Side-by-side, the color difference is noticeable. The newer clean white is preferable.

Source of the problem is they are sold mixed when you order from Amazon. Sometimes you will get the former, sometimes you will get the latter. I ordered three lights on three different occasions. I received one clean white version and two green cast versions.

To ascertain which was the right one, I ordered direct from Neewer via the bay. My suspicion was right, they had fixed the green cast problem in newer ones. They also got rid of the magenta filter, which is no longer needed to counteract the green spike. Although not always the case, telltale sign of newer version is "Neewer" branding on the box and on the light. Older version will say "Nanguang."

This LED light is still an excellent value. If you are planning to use just one light, then buy it and set white-balance. However, if you are planning to use more than one, be sure to get the newer version with the clean white light.
33 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2012
I take a stab at the LED panel, and show off how this blindingly bright item is used and abused.

EDIT with an update on what you can expect regarding the light's output:

I wanted to see how long the light could output its maximum brightness on a fresh set of batteries.

Conditions for the test:
- The light turned up to max brightness.
- Fully charged rechargeable Panasonic Eneloop 1.2v 1900mAh batteries
- Nikon D700 spot metered @ 5ft from the light, with the spot located in the center of the light panel. 1/1000 second f/16 ISO 200 with proper exposure at 0+/-.

For around two hours, the output was 100%.
At around the 2:00 hour mark, the output dropped by 1 stop.
After 2:15, the output was down by 2 stops.
After 2:30, output was down by 3 stops.
At 2:35, output dropped by 4 stops.
At 2:50, output was down by 6 stops.

I stopped measuring at this point, as the faint ambient light in the room would have started to affect the readings, and when the meter hit 3 stops underexposed at f/16 I had to open up to f/8 to continue to measure.
Bottom line is - the panel has considerably robust output for a full two hours. After the two hour mark, the output seems to drop off at an exponential rate.
Using regular alkaline batteries would probably extend the length of 100% ouput by a decent amount, but that's speculation on my part, although it would make sense since something like an Energizer EN91 has close to a 3000 mAh rating at 1.5v, as opposed to the 1900 mAh at 1.2v of the Eneloop.
77 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2017
When I received the light something was rattling inside after shaking it a small nut fell out. After testing the light it still worked so I took it out on it's initial use. Afterwards I took the light apart to see where the nut came from. It was part of the attachment screws for the hot shoe base. Using tweezers I was able to maneuver it back into place. It took additional maneuvering and tweezering (to get the screws back into place to tighten) to get the entire unit back together again. That does not give me confidence in quality control for this product. Though the inside and exterior build seemed solid, albeit plastic, otherwise.

One other issue I have is with the plastic hot shoe base. It will tilt up and down but cannot pan left or right. A ball head type of base would have a better option. I would have preferred a 1/4 - 20 insert in the light housing instead of the bottom of the hot shoe base. The base is all plastic. If/when it breaks there'll be no way to attach it to a camera again. You get what you pay for I guess. Which is a very amateur/consumer level product.
on May 10, 2011
The product description fails to list all of the attributes of this light. In particular, it fails to note that the unit has an intensity adjustment control knob and that the unit takes various kinds of batteries, including AA's. It is in fact (or appears to be) EXACTLY the same unit sold, at a substantially higher price ($20+), by several other vendors on amazon.
Note: the shoe-mount bracket is plastic and the top-heavy unit could thus break off a camera's hot shoe mount if you handle the camera roughly/ carelessly. But if you handle this with reasonable care, it is a good accessory at a good price.
on June 14, 2017
This light works well at lower levels and great at high levels. It can get very bright. I like the batter charge estimator on the back - it seems accurate. I tested it on a video and the results look fine. Mostly I use these at home when I need extra lights - or when I'm shooting a video at an away location where I need a quick easy setup.

I like it so much, I bought a second.
on June 22, 2015
Awesome light! It's really bright, and if you have a cheaper camera (like I do), one that had a pretty bad light sensor, this will drastically improve your quality. My Canon Vixia HF R50 does not do well in low-light situations. Partnered up with the softbox for it, this looks amazing. I love the fact you can dim the brightness, as this does get very bright, and in some shots, it could easily be too bright. I'll probably take this camping with me since it is easily better than any flashlights I have. The batteries last a while, unless you're on full brightness. I've yet to completely kill batteries in it, I just charge them after each shoot. I never seem to have a problem. They have lasted through several shoots without recharging, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
on January 5, 2016
5 stars for the first 6 months and I was happy.
6 months later, the dimmer switch came off.
So I had to unscrew the front panel to get in.
The switch mount screw is tiny and there is no extra washer to prevent from loosening.
After fixing once, it happened again a few month later.
I am going another brand for now, but this bright light is potential and hope new improved version comes soon.
on February 19, 2014
Update: Almost immediately after I made the very positive below review of this product (which I will leave intact), the dimmer switch came lose. Buy the CN 304, which has a separate power switch. There is a tiny screw that holds the dimmer wheel in place on the inside that came out. My boyfriend took it apart and fixed it in about 15 minutes but it has happened again. The problem is, the tighter you screw the screw the less likely it is to come off, but the less you will be able to move the dimmer wheel as well, leaving no real fix to this problem except to leave the brightness always up and just unplug the battery when not in use. My boyfriend will probably solder in a new switch or something. He also made an AC adapter with the included panasonic battery adapter and a universal AC adapter.

Original review:
I use this with wedding videography and it is surprisingly bright even with the orange panel on it (which is necessary when shooting in warm lighted environments). It can light up a scene 30-40 feet away well enough for my Sony HVR-Z1U to use at 60fps 1.6 aperture and high gain. Medium gain at 20 feet, low gain within 15 feet. I liked it so much I am also purchasing a 300 light one that will hopefully be bright enough to shine through an umbrella and use for photography. Also, the battery "np-F550" I purchased for it through seller "SF Planet" for nine dollars powered it for 2 hours and 10 minutes after a full charge. Haven't tried AAs.
on March 1, 2017
This is exactly what i was looking for... I don't shoot video from my camera but i sometimes am in these lighting issues at night sneaking out with the bride and groom for those last images. This mounts to my tripod or light stands. I heard it is a battery sucker but i used it with rechargeables and it lasted all the while I needed it to!