Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 25 reviews
I purchased and read this book a few months ago and deliberately held back on my review so that I could test out the method to see if a) it really lived up to its claims as far as ease of use and b) I saw a sufficient enough change in my weight and eating cravings.

Happily, I am able to recommend this diet wholeheartedly. I have reduced my overall review by one star only because the book needs to be updated with regard to newer products such as soymilk and newer information regarding certain foods which supposedly is covered in later Montignac editions.

For the most part the format of the book is easy to follow and a breeze to read despite some highly technical information regarding the manner in which the body processes certain foods. The only disadvantage here is the lack of an index which makes refreshing one's mind regarding particular issues a nuisance.

The method itself is one of food combining achieved in two phases. Simply explained, while on Phase One, on does not combine grains or any other carbohydrates in the range of 15 to 50 on the glycemic index with fats or proteins. Any carb above 50 simply is not eaten. Montignac urges you to ingest this carbo meal in the AM so that the body has enough time during the day to burn said carbs. For lunch and dinner he suggests a fat/protein meal which pretty much follows the criteria of any of the popular low carb diets like Atkins and South Beach. Unlike Atkins and South Beach, Montignac stresses the eating of real food, similar to Will Clower's mandates in "the Fat Fallacy". Above all an abstinence from sugar is paramount.

After most of your weight is lost and your digestive hormones are back in sync, Montignac suggests phase 2 where a little mingling of fats with higher ranked carbs, sugar, wine and chocolate are allowed in moderation. His comments regarding chocolate, wine and exercise are extremely astute and a welcome change from the usual calorie burning scenario most diets are based on. Montignac swears that although beneficial in other ways, exercise does not help you lose weight---a fact to which I can relate and attest. He provides a wonderfully entertaining list of ailments and wine prescriptions of which any wine connoisseur would approve.

Bottom line: This diet works and works well. I have lost weight while eating delicious foods. Unlike other more popular diets, Montignac does not cut out any of the major food groups. You can have your bowl of oatmeal and eat your fruit and not worry about where that extra fiber is going to come from as you would on a low carb regime. Nothing is missed, if you crave crackers or yogurt, you certainly can eat them; you just rethink the time that you eat them. Somehow psychologically, this works very well for me. When I craved something, I just promised myself that I would eat it tomorrow in the AM. No problem unless you are craving sugar---and even this after a few inital days will subside. I can honestly say that I have not craved any snacks in between meals since I have begun this regime. During phase 1 there is no portion control, so while you are retraining your body there is no annoying measuring or hand analogies to make.

If you are intrigued by the French Paradox, this book may help you demystify it. For further reading, I recommend Will Clower's "The Fat Fallacy". a good adjunct that will help you understand the idea of moderation while spoiling yourself on only the best of food.

If any of this sounds familiar to you as in Somersizing or Sugar Busters, supposedly Montignac did it first and is sueing Suzanne Somers and the three doctors that wrote Sugarbusters. This is a good thing---if you are a product person and want to purchase some sugarfree condiments or mixes, these two other diets provide nice websites to accomodate you as Montignac's fare is only available in France and Quebec.