Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 28 reviews
on October 7, 2011
Author intersperses info throughout the book on various topics like sprouting, dehydrated foods, alkaline/acidic foods, etc

She owned two health food restaurants and was a chef at the world famous Hippocrates Health Center of Ann Wigmore.

The food is really tasty.

She tends to include quite a bit of the less common produce along with the standards.

The book is divided into raw foods and cooked foods.

Then broken into categories like soups, salads, dehydrated, seaplants, sprouted grains, deserts, sauces and so forth.

She must love braggs amino acids as it is in so many dishes.

I think one could substitute a dressing I made that people loved at the raw food potlucks for the braggs if they want something a little different.

Combine raw apple cider vinegar, raw (or tamari/braggs) nama shoyu (soy sauce unpasteurized) with white miso. I original made this from the label of a product I liked called miso mayo which my store discontinued and it used extra virgin olive oil but I find one can omit the oil if desired and it is still good as well as all raw and/or fermented. If you alter the amount of ingredients a little you can make it a thicker dip. One can add things like raw garlic and chopped red pepper if you like.

The problem I had with the book is the index is woefully inadequate, I am slowly making an index for my use that contains every ingredient in every recipe and this way if I have an abundance of say parsley or celery etc, I can find all the recipes and then pick one that contains other items I have on hand, but there are so many recipes, this has taken my a long time and I am just now only towards the end of indexing the raw part.

Whether it is waikiki Pineapple pie (yum), mint relish, marinated onions, the great cream of spinach raw soup, there is somethign for everyone.

I am on my 3rd book as I use them a lot and they get worn out. I write down what I thought of each dish as I make it so if I am going to a potluck, I know what excels in looks and taste or if it is a stinker I can remember not to try it or alter the ingredients a little next time. She also has a good number of raw dehydrated cookies in there.

I have since acquired several raw books and saw more at the library but for everyday use, this is the one I like and keep returning to. She must have been a good cook where she worked before is what I can say.

Thank you Rita.

I hope if she does an updated edition that she makes the index several times what it is as this is the one flaw I feel but do not let that stop you from buying it as its a good cookbook

I like the emphasis on whole foods and since I am about 50-50 raw/cooked this book works out great for me

since I eat 85% produce, I sometimes have all the ingredients on hand.
on May 4, 2010
Having not only read the book many times, I had to get my $28.00 worth and did so many recipies! At the time I had the good fortune to attend a dinner party Hosted by Rita Ramano in Palm Beach probably more than 16 years ago I dreaded the event thinking of bland food and all veggies
but once i saw the table and tasted the food I became A total believer !
The different dishes served,where amazing ! and there were many varieties all tasty and suprisingly filling
This was my first vegetarian meal and I was totaly amazed how good it could look and taste, and apart from the lady with the see thru top at the table !
I had a wonderfull evening with every thing explained by the Host herself !
This in turn prompted a Visit to Key West about a year later for instructions on juicing and of course a Vacation !
After reading other reviews I was suprised on the Oriental comment so I phoned A friend she stated that herself and friends had always considered themselves Oriental by western standards but maybe their is an Asian trend with the younger generation People some times politely Lump people together when not sure If Japenese- Chinese- Korean ETC and Oriental is much more romantic and mystical than Asian
I love Oriental Carpets ! and food
on May 24, 2013
I was committed to improving my health and throwing myself into the Living Foods diet, and in all my research, this book has been the most helpful. I refer to it daily. The breadth of her knowledge crosses disciplines and offers more options that maintain the value of the diet than some other more stringent approaches. The book covers sprouting, fermenting, food combining, food pH - acid and alkaline, and the second half of the book is macrobiotic for if you want to do 50/50 raw/cooked.

The recipes are terrific and make large portions, and are so delicious! I love love love this book. The knowledge I have received from it alone, apart from the recipes, makes it a total lifesaver.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2013
If you're new to this you might change your perception about raw food. I had the great pleasure to meet the author and spend several month close to her. Just to water your mouth, try some of her pastry and you'd never know they had never seen an oven to be backed in.
Combine healthy food and delicious taste that won't dissapoint you.
on August 21, 2016
I haven't gone totally raw, but I do like this book. Lots of information.
on December 31, 2015
really this is the way to much in our food now thx deb
on August 7, 2015
Excellent resource. Always able to find inspiration here.
on February 14, 2015
It was delivered on time and it is a great resource book.
on July 17, 2013
This book is very informative and has loads of great recipes! I am looking forward to trying out many of the great food alternatives.
on May 18, 2012
Awsome information on vegetables, etc as well as amazing recipes. Very worth having if you want to learn about how your body and foods work together.