Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services hf16 hf16 hf16  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on October 22, 2011
If you're not familiar with her name, Joanne King Herring, you may be familiar with the 2008 movie Charlie Wilson's War starring Tom Hanks as Charlie Wilson and Julia Roberts as Joanne, which is a true story about two incredible Texans and what they accomplished across the U.S. and Afghanistan!

But the movie only takes you so far and only tells you so much compared to Joanne's new book Diplomacy and Diamonds. This book is a great read and offers (among other things) the background and realities concerning Afghanistan. You'll also enjoy a lot of laughter and tears along the way as you get to know more about Joanne and her extraordinary adventures that few women (then or now) dare to undertake!

It's truly a book for everyone, which is why I ordered 6 more copies for my family members
on December 9, 2015
Portrayed by Julia Roberts in the film Charlie Wilson's War, Joanne King Herring reveals her life story, from her well-to-do Texas childhood to TV hosting to her fervent anti-Communist actions in Afghanistan to her latest venture, raising money for model villages in Afghanistan that provide all basic needs, the intended core of a hopefully spreading system. Her approach is pretty unique to her social class...through her life, Herring has built a network of friendships with the like of Princess Grace and Barbara Walters that she was able to tap for her ultimate Middle Eastern achievements. A fast but informative read on a unique personality who made her stamp on history. With photos including a color photo insert.
on December 20, 2011
I saw about the last 40 seconds of an interview with the author on TV. I had to find out about this amazing woman.

As my title says, in this book the author tells it all -- the good - the bad- and the ugly. Ms Joanne talked about her personal life, wrapping it around her passion for Afghanistan. Actually, the two subjects can't be told without the other.

You will discover where Ms Joanne is weak, and where she is strong. There is a third component to her story and that is her undying faith. Her story can't be told without her belief in a God who is completely involved in her life.

You younger readers can't understand how impossible it was for a woman to accomplish much more than being a secretary or waitress, babysitter, GOOD wife and housekeeper, and volunteer at the time Ms Joanne worked her way through the nearly impossible maze to do the things that she did. Of course her work in Afghanistan is the highlight of her book, but I was more than impressed reading about the lavish parties that she gave. Her unique personality and character was essential to her success. She saw things differently than most woman of that day saw. Breaking through the mindset of that time was a tremendous feat. It wasn't that men held us back, but we held ourselves back because we shared the same defeatist mindset.

I was awed when she told of her very young son going to Afghanistan with her to film the lives of the downtrodden. He is definitely his mother's son.

You won't be disappointed if you buy this book. I wish I had it in paperback instead of Kindle so that I could keep it on my bookshelf where I keep only the books that I am proud to own.
on August 21, 2015
I was privileged to meet her and she treated ME like she was thrilled to meet me, and hear my Cold War stories. More than insightful, inspiring and encouraging. For me, it was a fantastical journey getting to know how things really get done, and my line of work has proven to me the validity of her narrative. It is among my treasured possessions.
on April 1, 2013
This was a very interesting book. I got it for my Kindle. I had seen the movie and enjoyed it and I had also seen the "true story" on TV and thoroughly enjoyed that too. This book was just the finishing touch to the entire story!
on November 25, 2011
What a glorious motivating book! Joanne Herring invites the reader into her grand mansion of a life where we fall in love with her intelligence and clarity of mission. Aside from the titillating inside scoop on the making of Charlie Wilson's War, Joanne tells her story with the fluency, grace and wit that endeared her to the world's rich and powerful. An electric current of faith runs through the narrative, periodically setting off sparks of insight into God's mischievousness with mortals who draw on His power to do great work.

Raised around royals and in the rarefied zones of mighty industrialists, I was struck by the authenticity and ease with which Joanne chronicles her romances and deep friendships with those at the pinnacle of power. Her beauty was a calling card but it's the light bulb, sparkplug quality of her spirit that magnetizes men and women to pull strings and move mountains for causes most are too myopic or timid to take on.

My father fought Communism and directly supported the Afghan Mujaheddin. Living in Afghanistan one gets to know the reverence and honor of Afghan people that Joanne is so drawn to. She was their Joan of Arc in their darkest hour and quite honestly America's too because Joanne King Herring was the catalyst that tipped the balance for the fall of the Soviet Empire. You'll finish this book with a lump in your throat, a glow in your heart and renewed faith that all is possible if you ask God to help.
on October 30, 2012
Believe it or not, this book adds even greater color to _Charlie Wilson's War_ (itself a "larger than life" tale of true-life adventure and heroism - albeit thwarted, in the end, by political bungling).
Here, we look from the other side of the mirror - from the perspective of the wealthy Dallas socialite who tugged at the the puppet-strings of Charlie Wilson, motivated him, energized him, all the while masterfully manipulating other powerful men, throughout a dramatic interlude that, (but for the bungling incompetence of Washington DC) should have prevented all our subsequent problems with Al Queda, the Taliban, and the downfall of Western influence in the far east.
Combine _Charlie Wilson's War_, this book, and _The Kite Runner_, and suddenly you'll find that the tragic state of east-west relations will make sense to you. You probably won't like it - but it will make sense.
on January 29, 2012
The by line of this book should be re-named. This woman wasn't behind Charlie Wilson's War, she was in front! I loved this book. It provided all of the juicy details intertwined with real life history. The most fascinating part is the new take on what we can do in the Middle East. This woman has been working over there for over 30 years. An extraordinary look at what every American can accomplish.
on January 29, 2012
How rare is it to find a woman who was all four: a dame, a knight, an ambassador, and overall- a lady! This book should be made into a movie. I had lunch with a CNN anchor the other day, and he was saying that there needs to be a sequel, as her story is so much more delicious than Charlie Wilson's War let on. And it is continuing! She is re-writing history again as we speak.
on January 30, 2015
Worth every dime for the comedic value. Being a Houstonian who grew up near Joanne I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. No one thinks the world of Joanne more than Joanne. Oh, she's also the worlds best Christian so move over Betty Bowers!