This is an OLD edition of our books. Search for Direct Hits Core Vocabulary to find our latest book!
5th Edition Description
Does developing a high-level vocabulary need to be a tedious, frustrating task? Direct Hits doesn't think so. Research has shown that a powerful and vibrant vocabulary has a high correlation with success in school, business, the professions, AND standardized tests, including the PSAT, SAT, SSAT, and AP exams. Direct Hits Core Vocabulary of the SAT offers a different approach.
Direct Hits' Core Vocabulary focuses on the level 3 and 4 words a student needs to know to achieve a Critical Reading score above a 500. This book includes the following features:
- Selective vocabulary found on recent SATs and PSATs used in context. No more memorizing the definitions of long lists of seemingly random words in a vacuum
- Relevant, vivid, and memorable examples from literature, historic events, contemporary issues, and pop culture
- A Fast Review for each chapter, with quick definitions
- A Final Review with sentence completion questions just like real SATs and PSATs, including complete solution explanations
The book is organized into six easy-to-tackle chapters as follows:
- Chapters One and Two are devoted to 100 core words that have repeatedly appeared on the SAT and PSAT
- Chapter Three introduces 30 words about interesting types of people, defined through examples from pop culture icons to make the words relevant and understandable to any teen
- Chapter Four uses historic figures and events to explain each vocabulary word
- Chapter Five focuses on the most frequently used prefixes on the SAT
- Chapter Six highlights tone words that are commonly tested in sentence completion and critical reading sections
Formatted as a 6" by 9" paperback book with 162 pages, teens are comfortable carrying the Direct Hits Core Vocabulary book with them to study another word or two when time permits. Building on the success of previous four editions, the authors of Direct Hits Core Vocabulary of the SAT - 5th Edition consulted secondary school teachers, tutors, parents, and students from around the world to ensure that these words and illustrations are on target to prepare you for success on the SAT. You will find that the process is effective, worthwhile, and even fun!