Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 60 reviews
on April 14, 2014
As a junior, I needed to be prepared for AP tests especially in English Language and for the SAT.
Direct Hits did not fail me. Thanks to their fun method of teaching vocab through relevant stories, it was a breeze learning the words.
And these words aren't only relevant for the SAT(which I scored a 680 on Critical Reading on my first try). I've read other nonfiction books such as Into the Wild and I was delighted seeing vocab I've learned from this book.
To anyone wanting to brush up their vocabulary for the SAT, AP test, or just anything in general, this book is a worthy purchase.
By the way, I want to include that I first read the CORE VOCABULARY Direct Hits. Don't forget to buy that one too!
on November 15, 2014
When my daughter was getting ready for the SAT her older brother and I had a blast taking two facing pages and adding our own notes to the entries. I'd prop it up by her lunch on the kitchen table and she read it while she ate breakfast. It was a fun few months and became a neat little joke/communication among us three.

Memorizing word lists isn't a terribly efficient way to prep, I don't think, the best thing to do is read often from a young age, IMO. But this was a good use of time and we made it fun.

FWIW she did better on the ACT which is less vocab-heavy.
on May 21, 2017
good book.
on September 12, 2016
Definitely better than flashcard options or memorizing definitions directly. My only issue is the excess of synonyms; it makes it hard to absorb any of the synonyms. Didn't make a huge impact on my SAT score, but a great option to review if vocabulary is your weakest option
on March 20, 2014
I love the way this series (including volume 1) is organized. By putting related-definition words together, it makes it way easier to learn the words that the typical list-based approach, plus you learn the sometimes minute usage differences between similar words. This makes it a much easier read, too, in the first place, and a great help for SAT. Highly recommended!
on July 22, 2013
Love the visual arrangement of words and sample sentences. But you have to look for more reference books to be fully equipped. Definitely recommended for those
1 don't have much time till the next sat
2 just wants to the core lists of words

Reference: I was a vocab idiot and after this book, 18/19 for the sentence completion questions of the critical reading
on December 31, 2011
This is a great book to buy when you're learning SAT vocabs. However, it should not be your only source for vocab study, you should seeks out other SAT vocab list too. Also, if you're thinking about buying "DH toughest vocab" NOT highly recommended. Sure vocab is important but there's no guarantee that ALL of DH vocab will be on the SAT (dont be fool by their website statistics) It's better if you can focus on 1 area either reading, writing, or math and get an extreme high score on it. GOOD LUCK!
on February 23, 2013
The 2 volumes of this book simply changed the way of learning vocabulary. I simply love this approach. Its better than any other resource available.
on November 29, 2014
This book is super awesome and an easy read. It makes studying for the SAT more fun and easy. Each vocab has a clear definition but also an awesome story to go along with the word to put the word into context. This book makes the SAT less painful and definitely a good way to study.
on December 14, 2014
When HS child was prepping for pre-2016 SATs, she thought this was a good book for better understanding of the more onerous SAT vocab words. Good, funny definitions and examples help.