Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 58 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 313 reviews
on September 4, 2016
Initially this was released as a Prime series. I'd got about three quarters through it when it suddenly was switched to a by-episode purchase. At nearly $6 an episode, it just isn't worth it. Sorry, Amazon. Very good otherwise, it captured Doug Adams odd character extremely well, including the rampant chaos, the trampled emotions of innocent bystanders and a complete idiot protagonist. An excellent series. What a pity Amazon couldn't leave well enough alone.
on July 19, 2016
I finished watching season 1 of the BBC series Dirk Gently. Of course "Season 1" implies that there's a "Season 2" (which there isn't) and "Series" usually implies more than four episodes (which is not the case). Not quite as twisted as the Adams books, and requiring an occasional suspension of scientific outrage (a'la CSI), the shows were huge fun and I am genuinely saddened that I've watched them all. Recommended if you liked the books and enjoy BBC British mysteries and crime shows. Supposedly there is a reboot coming out in October, but now Stephen Mangan is carved into my brain as the title character so I don't know how that's going to go over.
on February 1, 2017
It's a totally different take from the other DG series, the Max Landis one — but this one is fun too. In details, it's much closer to the books, but I can see why it didn't take off and there's only 4 episodes. Dirk in this series is... well, he's a pretty genuinely unlikable guy. :-) They used a lot of elements from the books, but made up their own stories. Some of which contain some VERY Douglas-Adams-ish ideas in them. Especially the purpose of the computer program in the 3rd episode, holy cow.

If you like Douglas Adams, and can keep an open mind and remember that there's like 5 different versions of HHGTTG, I think you'll like it. And if you don't, don't worry — there's only 4 episodes anyway.
on July 16, 2016
Quirky, funny, sometimes stupid (which might be why it lasted just three episodes). Too bad it ended so soon. It had the potential to be a funny, yet unusual show... about a detective who eschewed facts in favor of waiting for, sometimes nudging events into line until the solution to the crime showed itself.
on May 5, 2016
This was VERY miscast. It's dry and makes me ask 'why am I not watching Sherlock?'...Maybe the new American version might bring something to this. I do love a good British show but it feels like they went for names as opposed to someone who could truly capture the quirkiness of this character and fun story
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2014
I like to think he would of. Of course they had to redo something's to make it work for tv. I read the books this show was based on, and I wasn't disappointed. My only disappointment is that they canceled it after only four episodes. I don't think it had anything to do with the acting or the writing. They were top notch. We'll a another great show down the drain. I hope someone does a New Hitchhikers show some time.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2016
Captures the feel of the books quite well even though something is missing without the heart of Douglas Adams behind it. Definitely a fun watch and well worth buying even though the Dirk of the TV series is fairly svelt and wears too few hats.
on September 13, 2016
It's hard, I imagine, to bring a Douglas Adams book to life, but this really does give you the feel of the Dirk Gently in the novels.
on July 26, 2016
I have always loved the books. I'm surprised that the actor playing Dirk Gently is exactly as I imagined him. I just love the series.
on April 27, 2016
Tried to watch but very boring. The characters and story was completely uninteresting from the beginning making it difficult to sit through.