Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 81 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 102 reviews
on July 23, 2017
This is a really cute and fun to read cookbook. Not just recipes, but a lot of experience and helpful cooking techniques. Plus, I feel like I know the author and the staff at Dirt Candy personally after reading their stories, I will have to visit NY sometime.
on December 3, 2012
I rarely write cookbook reviews, but this book is so awesome that I felt compelled to write one. I had seen the author on an episode of "Easy Chinese," so I was familiar with the Dirt Candy restaurant. When I first saw the cookbook, I was unsure about whether or not I would like it - a graphic novel? Was that just a novelty approach that would provide little content? Absolutely not! In fact, the illustrations are my favorite part of the book. They explain the recipes and techniques in such a fun way. I actually read this entire cookbook the day I got it.

The recipes might be more advanced, but they are presented in such a way as to not be intimidating. Yes, you might spend all day Saturday making one of the recipes, but you'll have fun doing it!

So far I have made the carrot buns and the radish ravioli, both of which were amazing (but especially the ravioli)!

Also, while this book is vegetarian, almost all of the recipes can be made vegan (some already are). Kudos for that!
on July 10, 2015
Great book that was fun to read. Recipies are complicated but that is why it is a cookbook telling you how to do them. I couldn't put the book down though and everything I have made is great!
on June 7, 2014
OK, I read a lot of cookbooks, and buy vegan ones...this book is fun! I've made the little cauliflower bits, and next time...and there will be a next time, I will do it with a LOT less oil. I don't think this is a resource cookbook exactly, but most of the recipes are do-able without a professional kitchen and supplies.
I appreciate the information about how expensive it is to run a restaurant, it now feels fine to spend $20 on a salad.
Fun read, and a definitely "gift-able" book for a foodie friend!
on October 10, 2012
While comic book style appears unorthodox approach to talk about food, I found it effective. Through the graphics, her technics on how to bring the best out of vegetables. I tried the carrots buns, and everyone even children loved them, and we are not vegetarians. True, the recipes are time consuming but they can be done in steps. Filing can be done and kept in the fridge for fe days, and the dough can be done anytime and take very little time from beginning to end. I will be trying the Kimchi.
on May 29, 2014
This should be called a cartoon book because that's what most of it is. If I had ordered a cartoon book and got recipes in addition, that would be a bonus. As it is, this is a cookbook with mostly cartoons and some recipes mixed in. I won't be using it.
on August 25, 2012
Fun, informative, down to earth love letter to vegetables and a love/hate letter to the business of running a restaurant.

The illustrations work really well and the recipes are broken down into components so they don't overwhelm.

A manifesto that proudly proclaims "vegetables can be awesome and full of flavor". Full of fresh ideas, interesting flavor combinations and brutal honesty about what it's like to run a restaurant.
on February 19, 2014
As the mother of a vegan (for five years now) and a vegetarian (for 15 years), I am always looking for inspiration and recipes to serve when they are home. This adorable graphic cookbook is full of personality, as are the recipes therein. Saw the author on "Simply Ming" and fell in love with her buoyant personality and deep affection for the Earth's bounty. Only wish I lived close enough to enjoy her restaurant on at least a weekly basis.
on June 19, 2016
I love this book. As a former caterer I appreciate the funny way Amanda deals with contractors, customers, and staff. The recipes are delicious and I learned new ways to prepare vegetables. Definitely a must have.
on August 17, 2016
This is not only a "comic book", but, it explains a LOT, is fun to read, and the recipes are clear, basic and delicious - this is a super buy even if you're a carnivore like me!!