Customer Reviews: Disaster Preparedness for EMP Attacks and Solar Storms
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 20, 2012
I've read a number of EMP books over the last couple of years. This is easily the most useful.

Other than a financial collapse, I believe an EMP attack is the man-made disaster most likely to befall the United States in the near future. It's a relatively lost-cost, low-tech method of eliminating the United States as a world power. A nuclear-tipped missile launched from a cargo ship in the Atlantic and exploded a couple of hundred miles over Kansas would knock out the power grid and destroy most of the electronics throughout North America.

An EMP attack would be a TEOTWAWKI event. It would be prudent for every family to try to preserve some basic electronics that would be useful in the aftermath -- short wave radios, walkie-talkies, ham radios, LED flashlights and lanterns, battery chargers, solar panels, etc.

There are many books on the effects of EMP. The theory is well understood. Unfortunately, there's very little solid data on protecting from EMP.

Dr. Bradley's book explains how, and why, a Faraday cage works. He provides a clear understanding of why grounding is generally unnecessary. He tests the effectiveness of various makeshift Faraday cages. He even provides references for surge protectors and UPS equipment that may offer reasonable protection against EMP surges introduced through the power lines.

This is a very practical guide for individuals to protect critical electronics from an EMP attack. It also deals with the effects of solar storms and provides guidelines for general preparedness. I've already used the information provided here for my own preparations. I would highly recommend this book.
22 comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2012
This is a good ultimate source book for the topic of EMP. I've read many pieces and parts of the topic in many magazine articles, columns, and other books dedicating a brief chapter to the subject. If you are looking for an effective, comprehensive, one stop source, this book by Bradley is the one.
on September 12, 2012
Once again Dr. Arthur Bradley has been able to simplify a subject that can sometimes be confusing and overwhelming. In 100 pages, Dr. Bradley not only explains in layman's terms the potential impact complexities of electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attacks and solar storms, he provides well-researched, excellent advice on basic steps to prepare for these and other potential TEOTWAWKI events. (For more detailed, step-by-step instructions on preparing for natural and man-made disasters, I recommend Dr. Bradley's Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family or the Prepper's Instruction Manual: 50 Steps to Prepare for any Disaster.)

This book is especially valuable for anyone who may have limited knowledge of EMP as a weapon and the widespread (and potentially devastating) effect that a high-altitude EMP (HEMP) attack would have on the continental United States. The author explains the effect of both an EMP attack and solar flares on the various national infrastructures such as the power grid and personal electronics, water supply, transportation, telecommunications, government and others. As an extra bonus, Dr. Bradley provides an excellent section on building a protective Faraday cage to shield personal electronic equipment - items that would be both valuable and useful after an event - from the effect of an EMP. He provides tested data to show the shielding effectiveness of the various types of Faraday cages. I highly recommend adding this book to your disaster preparedness library and getting a second copy for a friend or family member who may be ignoring these potential catastrophes.
on June 20, 2013
When I was very young my Dad took me through the plant he worked at. On that tour he showed me a Faraday cage. It was a room made of copper screen. I was like a cat with a new box; they could not get me out of it. Later I became an Amateur radio operator; I have been a shelter communicator in Florida. I have seen the government, even the National Guard relying on Hams to communicate because their equipment did not function or function well. It happened during recovery in Hurricane Andrew. The ARRL Radio operators Manual talks about EMP and what to do. They wanted us to fire up our old tube radios as they would most likely work. I was more concerned about my hair falling out, as they made it sound like it was the usual emergency. While reading the few paragraphs I remembered the Faraday Cage at Dad's Work. Every now and then I looked for information on the Faraday Cage to protect my radio equipment, worry about the hair latter. I could find very little much of it conflicting, some just plain nonsense. Lately I was looking again for this information. There is a lot of talk about EMP (it is the most logical first strike) from a lot of people, most really don't know what they are talking about. Some information is akin to the CBer myth that you can protect your self from lighting hitting your antennae by putting the end of the Coax in a glass Mayonnaise jar.... yea right.
So who do you ask? The Survivalist or the NASA engineer (PhD no less) who's job it is to research EMP? Personally I'd ask the Engineer for NASA, I'd look to the survivalist to show me how to snare a rabbit with my shoe string. This book is to help your electronics survive 2 possibly devastating events. It touches on what the event would mean to us all, it is a small book not meant to instruct how to fill you cupboards, etc. It is about preserving your communications equipment, newer flashlights, your IPod. It try's to give you the facts as they are known about the event and what to do about it. It shows you what you can do to mitigate some of the personal impact of the EMP event. For everything else you need to look elsewhere such as Dr. Bradley's other 2 excellent books on family prepping. This book fills in the details of EMP events so talked about in the Prepping world; it does so with real facts from someone one who actually knows. Dr. Bradley also has two excellent video on the Faraday cage that is shown in the book. On EMP On Faraday Cages
on November 14, 2014
I wanted more information about getting set up. What kind of costs are involved concerning solar panels, possible well drilling, etc. What cars would be able to run, etc. The book has a lot of basic info, I was hoping for more specific things. That's why I gave it 3 stars.
on November 20, 2014
If all you are looking for is a brief description of what EMP is and what effect it would have on if a nuclear device were detonated high above the US, this book would be OK. Personally, I did not learn anything I did not already know. I was looking for detailed information about preventing damage to electronic equipment from EMP. Although this was covered, there was not much detail. He discussed building a Faraday cage using aluminum foil. I was expecting detailed construction techniques for more permanent and rugged Faraday cages. Also, this is more of a large pamphlet than a book - I read the whole thing cover to cover in around an hour. At over $13.00, way over priced.
on July 31, 2016
Great prepper book. It is good to see a credentialed person with a lab doing tests to confirm their information. I give this book a 5 star rating because of the thoroughness of the testing. . .and the common sense approach to EMPs and solar storms. As a side note. . . Mr. Bradley answered all of the questions and comments on his blog with straight forward comments and helpful suggestions. A number of people asked questions out of incorrect conceptions of pending problems. The answers were, indeed, quite refreshing.
on June 17, 2016
If you want to understand EMP and CME's and the big difference, this is an excellent reference. The author packs a chart of how he tested various combinations to achieve EMP protection. That alone is worth the price because most of what people advise to do is useless, giving a false sense of security.
on May 17, 2013
In down-to-Earth text, this book discusses how EMP is produced and what it might affect (A great deal of modern conveniences). Depending on your survival scenario, it discusses how to produce a homemade Faraday cage, what it could be used to protect; leading me to consider the goals of anyone who might attack with an EMP weapon. Can I fight them, do I want to? That is a subject for each individual to answer for himself. As for the odds of a solar storm, it ranks below the danger of a big California earthquake.
on April 4, 2012
Arthur Bradley has produced another well-written and comprehensive book for Preppers. With a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Arthur has the credentials to take the mystery out of EMP attacks and solar storms. In my experience, EMP is one of the least-well understood issues for Preppers. Arthur's book explains how EMP is created, what kinds of damage it can and cannot do, and how to mitigate it. Unique among EMP discussions, Arthur's book presents the results of tests he's done to evaluate the effectiveness of various homemade EMP shields. This information is worth the price of the book by itself. Using these test results any reader who is so inclined can produce low cost but effective shielding enclosures without relying on the voodoo science that permeates so many Internet preparedness forums. Arthur's book also discusses the threat posed by solar storms, which could become a serious concern as we approach the most active phase of the current solar cycle. I highly recommend this book.