Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 56 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 313 reviews
on July 17, 2014
What an amazing album! I own the LP and CD because its so worth it an d sounds fabulous on my SRS System. We start of with the awesome dance track "Feedback" and have great slow groovy jams like "Rock With U" and then gets upbeat again with "The 1" featuring Missy Elliot. The album is sexy, fun and Awesom!! Buy
on March 14, 2008
She said it, not me. I've read the excellent review by Terry Mesnard here, and he hit every point I was going to hit, so I'll be brief. I, too, have been listening to Janet (Ms. Jackson if you're nasty) since "Control", which I consider to be one of her finest efforts. I would also add "Rhythm Nation" and "The Velvet Rope" as her other two fine efforts. Yet, ever since "Rhythm Nation" I have felt, with each release, Janet has become weaker and weaker as an artist.

The problems are clear. No one would say that Janet is a fantastic singer. She's a package deal (performance, looks, hooks, attitude). She's Michael's younger sister, and it's not lost on me that in 1993, after Michael's growing unpopularity for child molestation charges, that she dropped her surname for good. That's also when her music began to drop in quality as well. 1993's "Janet" was uneven and 1997's "The Velvet Rope" equally as uneven. Then, in 2001, she changed her sound for the second time, and every album since "All For You" has been about the same in sound.

I thought dropping Jimmy and Terry would offer a new sound. I thought dropping her old record label and moving over to Island would contribute to a new sound, but this is not the case. In fact, someone like Janet is only as good as her material. She has other people writing her songs for her, and this isn't good. On "Discipline" her songs are primarily written by four men who clearly have their minds in their pants. Excuse me, but isn't Janet 41 years old? I don't know any 41 year olds that would talk about, let alone sing about, their sexual practices. Janet should be maturing and singing about more important matters than, "seven inches".

So what about the arrangements/melodies? Well, I figure there are seven good songs and six weak songs. The best of the best are "Feedback", "Rock With U", "2Nite", "Never Letchu Go", "Greatest X", "So Much Betta" and "The 1". Funny that Janet utilizes the brilliant Missy Elliott when she's in direct competition with her. Also, Janet's music, in general, seems to be aping Missy's style rather than coming up with something original and having Missy rap over it.

The obvious weak tracks are "Luv" (generic), "Rollercoaster" (repetitive), "Can't B Good" (boring), "What's Ur Name" (asinine), "Discipline" (how old are you Janet?) and "Curtains" (snoozefest). What's with the dumbing down of the song titles? Janet's gotten older and she can't spell anymore? If she's trying to be hip and cool, the one thing we know about someone getting old and trying to be hip and cool is that it looks pitiful and painful. It's okay to NOT pander to the teens, Janet. Life isn't all disco balls, sex and ecstasy--you can talk about more adult subjects.

Here's what I say to Janet--why not write your own songs and produce the album yourself? That would be different. In addition, why not go your own way and not sound like all banal hip hop that's already jamming our ears with garbage? I believe in the talent Janet has, but it seems that too many people are telling her what to do. She should just stick to what she knows best.
on March 3, 2008
Discipline is the newest of studio albums (the big 10) from international mega-superstar and R& B talent, Janet Jackson. It's classic Janet, chock full of hardhitting beats to move and groove to (on the dance floor and... other places), addictively infectious (I have yet to make it from my car to the house without it in tow), but with a twist. The new sound is euro-like, dance rhythms with synthesizers and beat machines penetrating every track. Janet's usually safe vocals as an alto sound stronger as she reaches with tracks like "This Can't B Good", a great effort that makes you yearn for the days of "Let's Wait a While". Huge plus there for her taking the risk.
The downer: While it gives us back Janet the dancer, it lacks the creativity and depth of Janet's ability as a songwriter (remember the ballad, Again, from janet. or the poignancy of album Rhythm Nation 1814 which explored social ills-- all written by Janet and longtime producers Jimmy and Terry Lewis, also absent from the album)... and thus the album can expect to receive further reviews on its perceived incompleteness. But as Janet stated in 20 Y.O., she's covered every topic (AIDS, school shootings, spousal abuse, depression, etc.); now "it's time to be light."
Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins and R& B sensation, Ne-Yo, are the saving grace in the production, with the addictive tracks, "Luv", "Rollercoaster", "Discipline", and others. (I wasn't too impressed by J.D.'s work on this album, like I was with 20 Y.O., but I'm willing to overlook it because I love them as a couple.)
If you're looking for a grown and sexy track, the title track (reminiscent of past Velvet Rope's "Ropeburn", w/ stronger S&M references) delivers with lines like, "I need some discipline tonight, I've been very bad/ Make me cry/ Daddy don't hold back...Take out your frustrations on me..." or the last and my personal favorite of all, "Curtains," which takes the listener into the dream of all male concert audience members (and great entertainment for all) when one is pulled onstage, personally serenaded and danced for by Miss Jackson.
All in all, this is a must-have for any Janet fan and for all clubheads. Relax and enjoy this for what it is: a good time. Janet's in a good place right now and she's letting us into her happy bubble.
P.S. The fans will have to go for the Deluxe Edition. I am definitely satisfied with the behind-the-scenes action. It'll have you looking forward to the upcoming concert; I know I'll be one fo the first in line.

Fav. tracks:

Avoid:
Greatest Ex Ever
What's Ur Name
on September 2, 2017
It's a great cd of Janet Jackson and I loved it!!
on April 4, 2017
great
on March 6, 2017
I love the album
on March 1, 2008
My five star rating of this is not because I love Janet as much as I do. I think this is one of her best. Every song is a winner. I can't say that much for All For You or Damita Jo. What surprises me about this is that Janet had nothing to do with the song writing. Even though she worked with a variety of different producers, this is a very cohesive sounding CD. A lot of people have a problem with the nature of the title track, but that's just Janet being Janet. When she refers to "daddy' she doesn't mean her father, she means her partner, they are role playing, with her being the submissive one. Kinky? Yes. Sexy? Hell, yeah! Incestuous? No. 2night and Rock With U are the disco songs here, and they rank up there with Together Again. What I miss though is the lack of song with some hard rock guitars like in What About, Trust A Try (from All For You) and If, among others. Small complaint though, with songs like Luv and Rollercoaster. Check this one out, it's her best since The Velvet Rope.
on March 17, 2016
I am a long time fan of Janet. She is one of the best R&B Artist's of my time. The Discipline album takes it up a notch with new up tempo beats, yet it's all Janet on this great album. Slow, smooth, sexy and total Discipline from Ms. Janet. I would recommend this album if you favor this sort of music. Enjoy! ☺
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2012
In my humble opinion, there are very few singers nowadays, that I would consider have a natural talent for singing. Janet Jackson is one of these singers. I am a great fan of hers and love the majority of songs she sings. This CD is no exception. Janet Jackson sings songs that empower and uplift women. She is not degrading, demeaning or belittling women, unlike some male rap artists. Janet Jackson is an artist I would feel comfortable letting my 74 year old mother listen to. Also, young girls could learn a valuable message, on how to be a real woman, from Janet.
on January 31, 2017
This is a must-have to have on vinyl. This Janet album is underrated - 20 Y.O. & Damita Jo too!