Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Disconnect: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry HasDone to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on September 30, 2010
This is THE best book on this vital topic. Davis can really write, and she's been talking with many of the key scientists. Prof. Om Gandhi used to work with Motorola but has been an independent professor for decades. His work on how microwaves penetrate deeply into a child's brain raised many eyebrows, but what he says here is just devastating. Similar info from Prof. Adelkopfer in Europe, plus a great intro into the work of Dr. Sam Milham.

Anyone can understand this book, but scientists will be most surprised by how much they learn about the mechanisms of damage (still not completely worked out, but the smoking guns are plain to see).

The weakest part is the appendix on how to protect yourself. Too much emphasis on using a headset. That does reduce the intensity of the microwaves, which should protect you from the diseases Prof. Olle Johansson has studied, but not nearly enough to protect from the nerve damage and blood-brain barrier penetration seen by Prof. Salford; in fact, it could make that worse. Even those making only 2 calls per day must consider themselves to be at risk based on the behavior changes seen in the study led by Prof. Kheifets.

I'm a scientist and I have read these papers, so I wasn't shocked. I already knew cellphones were deadly and already canceled mine years ago. But I did learn some important things and was pleased to get the inside story from these researchers. I'm sure this book will be condemned by the same old people (Prof. Bob Park, Ken Foster, etc. Note they will all have military backgrounds if you read their resumes). But to attack this book they're going to have to dismiss some of the strongest researchers in the field, many who were formerly funded by industry, plus the former head of the WHO...
1111 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2010
I recently started giving a lot more consideration to the things around me: electric and magnetic fields, soaps, cleaning chemicals and, yes, microwaves like ovens and those emitted from phones. I have a doctorate degree in science and have written papers myself. It is no mystery at all that a lot of research in every field is distorted by politics, money and industries. The author spends an inordinate amount of time detailing the history of cell phone research and how it wasn't really valid or how it was manipulated by the cell phone industry. OK, I get that. Thanks.

So why a 2 star review? First of all, it was very boring to read chapter after chapter about cell phone research - I thought a portion of the book would be about that, not close to 80% of it. Second of all, it didn't really answer many of the nagging questions which it claimed to answer. The book says right in the title, "...and how to protect your family." For having that right in the title, I was amazed that her advice was limited to a few pages in the very last chapter. By the end of this book, I thought I would know a lot more about the technical issues of microwave exposure and how to minimize it. She mentions that you should not keep a phone on your hip but doesn't really say why or how important that is. I have to carry a phone with me for work emergencies, for example. I can't turn it off...ever. What should I do?

Here are examples of what I wanted answered: I was hoping to find out how much radiation a phone in standby transmits, how this might affect me and how far my kids should be from a phone on standby. I also wanted to know more about those huge cell towers you see around the neighborhood. How bad are those? What if I can see one from my house, is that a problem? Also, I heard that if you connect a wired headset to a cell phone it actually transmits radiation right to your head through the wire. Maybe that's an urban legend, but I thought she would explain how much safer that may or may not be. How about the Bluetooth headsets? How much energy do they transmit? These are the real questions for those of us who use and are exposed to cell phones. I have many more questions that were left unanswered. Knowing about how the cell phone industry is corrupt is all very interesting, but I need some practical advice here! So if you are looking for that too, look elsewhere.

I will also mention that her writing style was not what I expected based on her past books and credentials. It seemed rushed, poorly thought-out and poorly organized. She would talk about some scientist or research and then talk about it again like it was the first time 3 chapters later. She would jump chronologically from things that happened in the 60s-70s when Motorola was developing cell technology and then jump into something in 2005, only to jump right back to something before Motorola...none of which made sense or kept me on a logical timeline. This made the chapters just drone on and on and I found myself just skimming a lot midway through the book. At some point I felt like the publishing company was rushing her to wrap it up, so it ended up being unrefined and way too wordy for the information she was trying to get across. This book could have had half the words and it would not have lost anything.

IN CONCLUSION: A poorly organized book which is VERY heavy on what the industry has done to hide the truth about cell phones and almost NOTHING on how to actually protect your family from it.
1010 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2011
I am a Certified Dental Assistant II and studied Radiography in school. There are places we must get radiation from like dental x-rays which show the dentist if you have a cavity interproximally or below the gumline. Or an xray for a possible broken bone. Daily we're getting doses of radiation continually from our own cell phones and every cell phone around us: think of a movie theater where you're crammed in like sardines, or a night club. Every person having a cell phone on them turned on at all times is a relatively new thing. Once you read this book and realize the tests that say they're safe are based on ONE HOUR OF CELL PHONE USE A MONTH you'll naturally realize we're all using them much more than that. You have to ask yourself why other countries are puting more and more warnings on the dangers of radiation from cell phones. And in Israel where cell phones are used almost exclusively instead of land lines why does that country show an increase in brain tumors. You want to ask yourself: do companies like Verizon have anything to gain by keeping information about radiation from the public? If you study at all about health and how radiation affects cells (DNA) it doesn't take long to come to the realization that radiation from cell phones could be one thing that's injuring the DNA enough to cause them to start replicating in an unnatural way which is what cancer is. People say 'Well, everything causes cancer.' That's not true - just a lot of things we've come to accept as normal and have embraced as a nautral part of our everyday lives that may be the culprits. By accepting the way we currenly do things as normal we come to believe that everything causes cancer. (Just a side note: talk to someone who works in a plant applying teflon coating. If they sweat at all they have to go home. Teflon is attracted to moisture..... gee, like food?? The workers are tested often and if the level goes up they have to quit. The things we consider normal have not been around a long time... I use stainless steel and butter instead) This book makes you reconsider spending endless hours on a cell phone or cordless phone.
on September 29, 2010
The book is beyond amazing. Very well written, accessible for a broad readership, and very well researched and documented. It addresses a crucial issue with tremendous medical and public health implications worldwide: the increasing danger that humankind faces from the use of radiofrequency-emitting devices, such as cell phones, which is taking shape as the most important public health crisis of our time.

After reading this excellent book written by Devra Davis, you will learn a lot about published and well-known facts from the scientific literature, facts that have been known, sometimes for decades, but the telecommunication industry does not want you to know them. Some findings described in this book come from as long as 4-5 decades ago, and reveal that radiofrequency, the same type of radiation that is emitted by cell phones, causes serious harm to the human body. The book will reveal how both scientists and the industry have, for decades, known about the adverse effects that radiofrequency causes on the brain. It will tell you how radiofrequency is, in fact, being used in clinical medicine, to allow drugs to penetrate into the brain of cancer patients, where they kill tumor cells. If radiofrequency can be used in this way, to allow medication from the bloodstream to penetrate the brain and treat tumors, imagine what happens when the same radiofrequency allows all the chemicals and toxins from the blood, which are normally kept away from the nervous system, to enter the brain and cause disease!

This book will also tell you how SAR, which is used to measure the absorption of radiation emitted from cell phones, was developed for the adult male who is over 6 feet tall, weighs 200 pounds, and uses the phone for a 6 minute conversation. What happens to males who have a different body type, to women, or to children, is anyone's guess, but it is clear that the they absorb much more radiation than SAR values of the respective phones indicate.

This book is a pillar of public health, and should become an indispensable reference for anyone who is interested in the health and well-being of our generation and of generations to come. After you read it, you will realize that you will need to read it again, and then again. The wealth of information and the evidence that Devra Davis presents in her important book, are something that every human being should share with everyone they know. Buy this book, and recommend it to everyone you know and care about - the information that you will learn is empowering and it will allow you to make the best decisions for your health, and for the health of your family amd friends.
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2010
Devra Davis has launched a vicious one-woman attack on the cell phone industry....

Dr. Devra Davis, the former head of the Center for Environmental Oncology at the University of Pittsburgh, now a visiting professor at Harvard, has pretty much launched a one woman attack on the cell phone industry. I should also say: it has been the most devastating attack that the industry has ever experienced. It has already changed the industry. I know the good people selling us our wireless world and particularly those little hot boxes called cell phones don't like her right now--but she is actually doing more for the cell phone industry than anybody else today. She is making them face the truth. She is making the nation face the truth. These miracles of freedom, which we love and value, are causing brain cancers, and the consumer is going to have to be given better information, and soon trial lawyers will have to be suing the companies, and then competition, real competition based on important needs such as staying healthy, will take place, and we're going to get safer cell phones. In the end, with her new book Disconnect, Dr. Davis has launched a devastating attack on the cell phone establishment--and its already causing them to go up in flames. But that's good. They need to burn on the truth for now. I would really like more and more intelligent people to read her book and become aware. This is an issue wherein coming aware will do a whole lot because it will change your habits. I didn't know I was doing bad things with my cell phone either but reading her book taught me I certainly was. We all owe her our thanks.
on December 12, 2011
This book written by Devra Davis gives credibility to what I have though caused my brain tumor. Being a Realtor for 25 years I spent most of my life with a cell phone to the right side of my head with excessive minutes 1,000 - 3,000 per month. People are waiting for the government to tell them that it isn't safe. I am living proof that it isn't. In other countries our children are not allowed to purchase cell phones until they are 18 years old. Although I do agree that the reading is challenging for the person who doesn't have a scientific mind or a personal story that resonates with the book. It would be beneficial for Devra to write a follow up book or guide answering the questions and elaborating on how to protect our families. If you are interested here is my story:

For 42 years I lived a very busy life always focused on the next goal and how to achieve it. Together with my husband we have made many beautiful things, most notably our two daughters. Prior to being diagnosed with my brain tumor my life seemed to be spinning out of control. My body had trouble keeping up with my racing mind. I was diagnosed with bells palsy while pregnant with my second child. I never felt the same. For several years I went to doctors and because I looked "healthy" they told me that it was just depression. Being a real estate broker and experiencing the most difficult times of my 25 year career it certainly was believable. However in my heart I knew that something was wrong. The week before I was diagnosed I went to a specialist. He ran numerous tests and we made an appointment for the following week. That Sunday at church I prayed and gave my life to Jesus Christ. I continued to race through each day struggling to understand my challenges. On Thursday morning I went to spin class at 6am and didn't feel quite well, I left early and went home to quickly get my 5 year old daughter ready for school. We jumped in the shower and that is the last thing that I remember. I'm told that I fell to the ground with several Grand Mal seizures. My husband was home and called 911. That was March 31, 2011, the day before our health insurance expired. There are no coincidences in life, God is in control. I have learned that the control that I thought that I had those 42 years of my life were an illusion. Please don't feel sorry for me as I believe that my tumor was a blessing in disguise. Our heavenly father found a way to get my attention. The purpose for sharing my story is to share the lessons that I have been taught. In todays world the focus seems to be on the prize when truly the greatest wealth that we have is our health. Listen to your body, if something doesn't feel right be persistent. My tumor is an Oligodendroglioma and was located in the right frontal lobe of my brain. On April 13, 2011 a very talented surgeon removed the majority of it. I have elected not to have the standard treatments recommended, which are chemotherapy and radiation. I believe that with lifestyle changes God made my body strong enough to heal itself. Brain tumors are chronic, this means that there is no cure they eventually grow back. When I ask what caused my tumor I am told dumb luck. This doesn't sit well with me. Being a real estate agent since I was 18 years old I have used a cell phone excessively. The World Health Organization has confirmed that there is a link between gliomas, Meningiomas and brain tumors. Other countries discourage their youth from cell phone use. I have seen over 12 doctors since my diagnosis and not once has anyone ever asked me about my cell phone use. If you don't ask the questions you will never draw the conclusions. Every three months I get a new MRI to see if my theory is correct. My deficits from my surgery are challenging but I am choosing not to focus on what I can't do any longer and accept my new normal. I don't know what tomorrow will bring but honestly none of us do. It could be a car accident that eventually kills me not brain cancer. So my message that I want you to take away is to start every day making a list of what you are grateful for rather than what you feel is missing in your life. Teach your children a love of life not technology. If you don't know God be certain that he knows you. In the brain tumor world it is important that we all recognize that there are 120 different types of tumors and all of our cases are different. No two people are alike so what works for me may not work for you. However a strong relationship with God will guide you in your path. Help me spread the word about Brain Tumor Awareness so others don't have to experience what I have. [...]
on December 29, 2010
Reading the negative comments posted about this book I couldn't help but wonder if those were written by cell industry folks who are antagonized by such literature or by people who own stocks in cell companies who fear the degradation of stock value once a regulation takes effect.

Either way, the book is dead on with the disconnect. We've long been manipulated by pseudo-science and fake lab tests put forth by the cell industry.

We need an administration that has the backbone to stand up to all these lobby groups, and the one we have now ain't capable of doing it.

Kudos to the author.
on May 6, 2012
Why Does 'DISCONNECT' ignore EHS? - Disconnect is an excellent and extremely important book. Anyone should read it to learn how the truth about EMR is intentionally misrepresented to the public. I wish I knew all the facts presented in the book before I used this technology and got sick with Electromagnetic Intolerance (EHS) from it. I want to believe that if I had this book before I got sick I wouldn't have touched this technology. I did find the part about 'how to protect your family' lacking. There is no 'smart use'. This radiation is harmful near any part of the body, it is harmful to others exactly like second hand smoke, and requires antenna infrastructure that is extremely harmful to everyone. In addition, oddly, the book does not mention probably the most direct and widespread adverse health effect manifestation of this technology which is Electromagnetic Intolerance (EHS) already suffered by 3-8% of the population. Hopefully, the esteemed author would consider to include it in the next edition of the book to ensure the public is properly informed of ALL potential adverse effects.I also wrote a book review for this book in a scientific journal: 'World Medical & Health Policy'. The link: [...]
VINE VOICEon September 28, 2010
I am listening to Public Radio and the author makes a strong case for being very careful how we use our cell phones. She makes a point to warn that children should not be using cell phones without "ear buds" - to keep the radiation away from youngsters' developing brains. She also warns that keeping a cell phone in the pants pocket can damage your reproductive equipment. She states that tests show young men who keep their phones in a pants pocket have reduced sperm counts. Her arguments are clear and presented without fear mongering - she states she has and uses cell phones. However, she uses ear buds and recommends keeping it off or away from your body until you need to use it.

This is kind of a "pre-review" and will update this when I actually finish reading the book...
66 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2016
Since the mid-80s, when the cellphone began to explode in popularity, overall brain cancer incidence rates have been constant. In fact, survival rates for the various brain cancers have slightly improved.

At least four studies have been published since the 1980s for brain cancer by age group. None shows any significant increase, for any age or sex group, that can be linked to cell phones. Here are the studies in case you want to google them.

* Trends in brain cancer incidence and survival in the U.S.: Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program, 1973 to 2001, Deorah et al. Neurosurg Focus 20:1 (2006)
* Analysis of trends in incidence rate of brain tumors from 1992-2006 in U.S., Inskip et al. Neuro Oncol 12(11):1087 (2010)
* Cellular telephone use and time trends in brain tumour mortality in Switzerland from 1969 to 2002, Roosli et al. Eur J Cancer Prev. 16:77 (2007)
* Time Trends in Brain Tumor Incidence Rates in Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden, 19742003 J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009 Dec 16;101(24):1721-4.

This book doesn't provide any critique or opposing evidence to these studies. In fact, it declares emphatically that these studies do not exist - that no studies like them exist. Devra goes beyond that, and claims that studies proving a link to cancer DO exist and have been suppressed by the scientific community at the insistence of cellular service operators. Up is down, black is white, it's a conspiracy, and the sky is falling. Therefore you should donate to my "non-profit" from which I draw a paycheck, and invite me to speak as a self-proclaimed expert - for a small fee of course.

There are well over 4 billion cell phones in use worldwide. The absence of any change in the incidence of brain cancer is the simplest evidence against any connection with cell phones.