Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 170 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 259 reviews
on December 8, 2016
I read DISCOUNT ARMAGEDDON over four and a half years ago when it was first released, and all I can say in regards to why I'm only just now getting back to it is . . . It was a casualty of Mt. TBR.

And I am ashamed.

B/c seriously, guys, this book screams, "JESSICA! I AM HERE FOR YOUUUUU!"

No, really. It does.

We all know that Fae are my favorite, and that Native American folklore is #2, but what doesn't come up very often is any random creature fest. This is b/c most random creatures fall under the "Fae" umbrella, but on the rare occasion that they don't, they fall under the cryptozoology umbrella.

You: Cryptozoology? What's that?

Me: Cryptozoology is a pseudoscience with the goal of identifying and describing beings from the folklore and the fossil record, which cryptozoologists refer to as cryptids. These include creatures that are otherwise considered extinct or beings from folklore, such as Bigfoot and chupacabras.

You: Ooohhh.

Me: EXACTLY.

Sanctuary was one of dumbest shows Syfy ever produced, but I watched every episode of every season, b/c CREATURES.

But that's just the beginning.

Meet Verity Price.

Verity is the eldest daughter in the most recent batch of Prices, a family that split from the Covenant (an organization of monster hunters), b/c DAMN THE MAN.

Okay, so it's more complicated than that.

The Covenant indoctrinates its followers that all non-human creatures are evil and must be eradicated, and the Prices started to question that philosophy. Then when Mr. Price discovered that the latest (and worst) outbreak of cholera was the direct result of killing the last local unicorn (who purify the water in their habitat), they said, DAMN THE MAN, and headed to 'MERICA.

Verity takes the familial attitude one step further and augments her monster killing/wrangling skills with . . . wait for it . . . ballroom dancing. B/c DANCE, she loves it. And dammit, she's determined to find a way to do both. At least while she's young.

ALSO, she throws sass like a pro.

So we've got a monster-wrangling, sass-throwing, ballroom-dancing heroine with a problem with authority . . . And really, do you need anything else?

I don't.

But if you're contrary, there's also a Covenant noob who gets schooled on reality, (adorable) technicolor mice who can (and will) turn anything into a religious celebration, the best pre-chapter quotes I've ever read, and a variety of cryptids who make awesome requests like, "Mayhem now, please."

So yeah. Highly recommended.
on June 10, 2014
I'm torn as to how to rate this...it held my attention reasonably well, I actually laughed out loud a coupla times, there were some original bits....but basically it really was deeply, aggressively, profoundly cornballish fluff. It's fairly fun fluff, but still. There were some cute bits --I love the Aeslin mice, who are deeply religious in that they have incredible memories for trivia & create high holy day celebrations to commemorate such things as "The Renewd Consciousness of the Arboreal Princess" (our heroine waking up), to things like "Okay Dad, I'll take out the garbage" (btw, I'm deeply disappointed in the Kindle "X-ray" function: it had entries for every major & minor character plus such terms as New York & Ace bandage, fa cryin' out loud, but not the mice).

There were quite a few clever & fun things, a few surprises, and a lot of totally predictable things (gee, what'll happen when The Covenant hottie shows up.....).

This book sorta reminds me of Laurell K Hamilton (back when she wrote books with plots, & things happened other than minutely detailed, squishy sex), if Laurell had sucked down wine coolers (or chain-toked joints) & worn a nitrous oxide mask while she wrote.

If you're in the mood for corny, goofy, sometimes original, fluffy brain candy, you could do worse. However, my budget's tight enough that I'll only spring for the sequels if they go down to 2 bucks, or I get a windfall. Or I find an NO cylinder lying around.
on March 21, 2016
This started out a little slow. In fact I didn't think I was going to like it and I was cursing at myself for wasting 7 bucks buying it. After about the first third It started to grow on me and by the last quarter of the book I was thoroughly engrossed.

I understand that the author had to build the world that the characters live in. Its a complicated world , full of creatures that Id never heard of but according to Wikipedia do exist in folklore. It got annoying sometimes I constantly had to hit the Wikipedia button to see what these "monsters" were. ( I did discover at the end of reading there was a little glossary of cryptids with descriptions...very helpful)

Basically in a nutshell, the main character is Very Price. Her and her family used to work for the Covenant. The covenant basically hunts and kills monsters (anything that is not "normal) Along the way the Price family broke with them and went into hiding. They continue to train and are basically there to protect the monsters (or Cryptids as they are also known as) but also to police them.

Very wants to be a ballroom dancer and lives in New York. There she patrols, works at a not quite human strip bar and goes on auditions.. The tone is light hearted and fun even when dealing with death and action scenes. She has to team up with a hottie from the covenant and it goes without saying that there is some attraction there..

I grew to like this book a lot and am anxious to read another book in the series. Also the book did NOT end on a cliffhanger, that is so refreshing!
on April 22, 2012
The author has a vivid imagination. Almost every page has interesting side comments regarding either the weird supernatural life that our heroine is guarding, or an equally pithy aside regarding her family's uniquely engrossing history. The plot is good. "Cryptid" girls are vanishing. Cryptids are other races, some intelligent, some not, some resembling humanity, some being completely alien, which inhabit the Earth in secret. Verity Price, the guardian of New York, has to get to the bottom of the mystery. It turns out that there is a dragon (a very large Cryptid, supposedly extinct) sleeping under New York and a "snake cult" is trying to wake the dragon up by sacrificing virgins.

So far, so good. My only problem with this book is the male lead. Dominick de Luca is a member of the Covenant, a fanatical, racist organization dedicated to the preservation of humanity, which it tries to do by by wiping out Cryptids, most of whom merely want to be left in peace. Verity's family had left the Covenant generations before. Dominick is in New York to find out if the city deserves a "purge." Dominick is young, from an old Covenant family. Every time he opens his mouth, I wince. His speech is pompous, self-important and strangely anachronistic. He uses terms like "monstrous deceits" and "infuriating woman." He sounds like a stereotypical nobleman from a Regency romance, or maybe the rogue highwayman who kidnaps the noble woman and is reformed by her charms. In any case, he seems a bit more open minded than we might expect and his relationship with Verity moves much too quickly to romance, sex, the inevitable disappointment and the equally inevitable reconciliation. The book would have been far better without Dominick, or it would have been far better if Dominick had seemed like a real, 21st Century male on his first mission and the romance had been left to simmer on the back burner, where it belonged.

In the end, I'm giving this book 3 stars, only because the love interest was so pro-forma and basically unbelievable. It would have been a solid 4 if the author had only left Dominick on the shelf.
VINE VOICEon August 25, 2013
I really enjoyed this series of urban fantasy adventure books. I read the first book in one setting over a week-end, and when I was finished ordered the second and read it.

I first became aware of this series, a few weeks ago after discovering the Kindle Serial "Indexing" by Seanan McGuire. After reading the six episodes of that serial, I couldn't wait to read more - so I went looking to see what else this author had written. This Incryptid series looked interesting, so I bought the first book in the series.

Book one is based in New York, and set more or less in present day. The main character is a young woman named Verity Price. She is part of a family of people who have taken on the responsibility of studying and protecting the cryptids living hidden among the human population. And she wants to be a professional ballroom dancer. Who wouldn't find that an interesting premise for a story?

This first story has a lot of action and is pretty fast paced. You quickly get introduced to most of the main characters and there is an element of a mystery that must be solved. My favorite figures in the series are the colony of Aeslin mice.

Can't wait till the third book comes out.

Discount Armageddon: An Incryptid Novel, by Seanan McGuire
Published 2012 - Kindle edition.
on December 9, 2016
That moment when you find a new Urban Fantasy Series that you love!!!

With all the new Urban Fantasies that are seeming to pop up everywhere it is sometime hard to pick out the gems from the garbage. I’m so excited that I found something with so much potential that I have to *squee* in excitement.

In a world of urban fantasy that mostly focuses on shifters and vampires this one decides to move out of that box and into the world of Cryptids.

Cryptid, noun:

1. Any creature whose existence has been suggested but not proven scientifically. Term officially coined by cryptozoologist John E. Wall in 1983.
2. That thing that’s getting ready to eat your head.
3. See also monster

This includes but is not limited to Unicorns, basalisks, boogey men, manticores, talking mice, tooth fairies, the Easter bunny (do not joke about the Easter bunny), Dragon Princesses, boob fairy and about a bazillion others that I can’t mention here. But let’s just say there are a lot and they are so awesome.

Verity Price comes from a long line of cryptozoologists. Her childhood was not like ours, it included a lot of the games you would have played as a child but with very different rules.

*** “What was the point of hide-and-seek if you weren’t allowed to dig pit traps or attack your opponents from behind?

“Growing up in my family meant ambushes on your birthday, crossbows for Christmas, and games of dodge ball where the balls were occasionally rigged to explode. It also meant learning how to work your way out of a wide variety of death traps. Failure to get loose on your own could lead to missing dinner, or worse, being forced to admit that you missed dinner because your baby sister had tied you to the couch.
Again.” ****

But since her family is in hiding everything growing up served the purpose to teach her how to stay alive in the face of danger just in case she is ambushed by Cryprids or worse a member of the Covenant

Verity is actually on a journey to find herself. Currently she is in New York on her own her family has given her a year to decide if she wants to follow in the family business and be a cryptozoologist or follow her other dream of being a professional dancer. But since she is in the city she might as well join in on the local Cryptid scene and learn some stuff right.

This book was so much fun. Verity is full of sass and quippy attitude

We don’t get much family interaction yet but you can already tell that they are going to be a riot. Not only are there quotes at the beginning at each chapter that are hilarious but the glimpses we get of Verity’s sister Antimony (see above quote about childhood and being tied up) and her Grandmother who apparently loves to visit hell.

“Answer’s ‘no,’ Dave. What would my grandmother say?”
Dave paused. “She out of Hell this week?” he asked warily.
“Not until Solstice, but still. She wouldn’t understand.”
He relaxed. “She’d understand that you needed to save your job.”
“I think it’s a little more likely she’d understand that you can kill a bogeyman in a lot of different ways, and come riding in to avenge my honor.”

I can’t wait to meet Grandma…she sounds awesome.

Verity also has a cryptid cousin Sarah. They aren’t related by blood since Sarah is more like a Giant Wasp who looks like a human. Sarah is also a Mathematician and a telepath who can do some wacky things with your mind. But no worried she got her morals from Battlestar Galactica so I’m sure everyone around her will be fine.

And did I mention the forbidden romance…Well I will mention it now then. A man from the Enemy a.k.a. the Covenant is in the city and Verity seems to have sparked his interest or vice versa. Dominic De Luca grew up an orphan in the Covenant and he was not expecting anything like Verity when he came to town.

I’m starting to think that they may have been understating things.”
“Oh?” I asked, interested despite myself. “What did they say?
” “That you were all insane.”
“Ah.” I sat up again, grinning at him. “That’s pretty much true. We’re all crazy. But crazy has its benefits.”
“What benefits are those?” he asked warily.
“Crazy gets all the knives.”

I liked that there is no instalove. It is all lusty and even though Verity knows she should maybe direct those lustful feelings anywhere than in Dominic’s direction he does have a great fighting form and who says a girl can’t take a walk on the wild side every once and awhile.

But there is also a plot involving a snake cult and singe women disappearing in the city. It was so much fun that I really didn’t want it to be over and then when it was I was ready to jump into the next book right away.

Did I say read this book? Because I don’t think my review did it justice and I’m pretty sure you should just READ THIS BOOK.
on April 7, 2015
I love this book - It is a great start to the series. It brings in characters that are full of life, there is action, comedy, tension and suspense throughout. The characters are quirky, but in a way that is believable and you find, very quickly that you develop an attachment to them. I really enjoy Seanan McGuire's writing style, it is fast paced and descriptive which I find really helps in a book in this genre. One of the things that I particularly like is the way that the characters continue to develop over the course of the story, there are a lot of books out there where the characters are not changed by what happens around them, but I am happy to say that this is not the case here.

A must read for a different kind of urban fantasy
on February 11, 2014
This novel was a funny urban fantasy. As a comedy, it is successful (although there were areas where the author was def trying too hard). The characters make several leaps in logic that were nonsensical and that really bothered me. My husband only noticed after I pointed it out to him. I'm giving it three stars since it was more of a comedy than a mystery or action book, where that would be unforgivable.

I can recommend this book to someone who is willing to overlook the flaws for the laughs. Would not recommend to someone looking for an airtight plot.
on March 27, 2017
The first book of any series can be a little tough to get through, forming new attachments to new characters and watching them form attachments to each other. The "rival/enemy-turned-lover" bit is a little overplayed for me, after seeing the same thing used (in a more slow-burn fashion) throughout the Toby Daye series, and it seems in this book to be a little too in-your-face, but that's just personal preference. I dig the cryptids, I dig the dancing, I dig the parkour, I dig the New York feel. Fun combo.
on February 28, 2016
There's a new hero in town: Verity Price. Verity is a young woman, a dancer (tango, tango, tango), and a cryptozoologist. What's a cryptozoologist? She's a zoologist who studies all the monsters that we think are part of our superstitions and nightmares. Verity is a member of the Price family who have been monster hunters/exponent. She studies and protects creatures such as bogeymen, waheela, therianthropes (lycanthropes) and a whole panoply of other strange and wonderful sapient beings (cryptids). She does this in Manhattan whilst dressed as a waitress in a strip club with a short skirt, high heels and a shedload of concealed weapons.
The story is relatively simple. A cult has found a dragon under Manhattan and is trying to revive it by sacrificing intelligent female cryptids. SInce Verity's job is to protect and study cryptids she takes it upon herself to save the cryptids, foil the cult and win a dance competition or two. Then her family's nemesis, an organisation called "The Covenant of St. George" turn up intent on purging New York and killing the dragon. This is a fast paced book filled with chases across rooftops, quick fire wit, fights, love and general mayhem. It's a great read. Even with all the cryptids about the real weirdos are the humans.
Seanan McGuire has created a great, funny female hero and has populated an alternative Manhattan that is more vibrant and alive than you ever thought it could be. So if you're bored with mundane heroes and want something that's fun, fast, and daring try Discount Armageddon as Verity Price is the new star on and above the block.