Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Now, Discover Your Strengths
Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 29, 2014
The followup book to "First, Break All the Rules", this book takes those theories and helps the reader discover what it is that they as an individual are talented in.

"Now, Discover Your Strengths" corrects the lie many of us were told as children that "anyone can be anything they want to be", and while that may be unsettling at first for some of us to hear, it's remarkably freeing. Rather than pursue vocations that we have no hope for being successful at or find joy in doing, this book teaches that if we pursue those things we're wired to do not only will we be happier, we'll be successful.

When your child comes home with 4 A's, a B a D and an F, are you spending all of your time and energy all over them for the low grades, or praising them for what they excel in? Are you trying them to fix weaknesses they have no desire (and perhaps no ability) to fix? Or are you encouraging them to work on their strengths? To take those things for which they show interest and talent and desire and grow those?

This book may very well change the way you've been thinking.

Each copy comes with a code that will let you take the online quiz to find out what your top five themes, or strengths, are.

Well written and thought provoking, make sure you get a new copy so you don't run the risk of getting one that has had the code for the online test already used.

Stick with this original. Strengths Finder 2.0 lacks substance, IMHO.
on September 5, 2002
This book quite simply can change your life. Since I took the StrengthsFinder test, I have dramatically increased my effectiveness in my current job.
Donald Clifton has spent twenty years monitoring and discovering patterns of strength in the best of the best. This testing and research shows in the accuracy and precision of this test.
Whether you have achiever, context, futuristic, emphathy, restorative, or whatever, this book and test is going to dramatically change the way you look at the world. I currently work in the field of Leadership Identification and Development and this test time and time again shows students and young adults ages 18-30, a new way to approach life.
If there is a weakness in this book, it is that is does not go deeper. Clifton does a great job showing how he and others developed this process over years and years of study. Personally I want to be compared against the best, and this is what the book and test do. Have you ever wondered why you always size yourself up against everyone else and if you knew you could not win you did not even play? --Competition.
The beauty of this book is that your personal combination of strengths can put you as unique as 1 in millions, and the chances of meeting someone that is your exact double is next to impossible. How great is it that we are all so unique? Does not lend much credence to the theory that we are all here by some cosmic accident.
Our society, educational systems, businesses, and so many other institutions always try to build us up where we are weak. I worked at a company in Washington, DC and was utilized as an office manager and executive assistant, a job I was clearly not wired to do. With the the themes of competition, achiever, activator and significance, how could I ever handle ordering pens and pencils and organizing a contact database? I could not! I want to change the world, and now I know why-- I was wired to do it.
Do you know instantly how people are feeling when you walk in a room? I cannot, and I know my emphathy is low or non-existent. My dreams of becoming a counselor were misguided at best. This book, and the test will help you find out how you are wired and what a perfect job for you would be.
Can you wake up and say, I am doing what I was created to do and enjoying it? If not, I suggest you read this book and meditate over the information you receive back from it. Thanks to Donald Clifton for an excellent and cutting edge work.
on September 14, 2001
Buy the book! A code found on the book jacket that lets you take the StrengthsFinder insturment, and print out the results and supporting documentation is worth the price of the book.
As you read through the interpretation material, you will discover a bias in the research with which you may agree or disagree. I had both feelings simultaneously. The StrengthsFinder was incredibly accurate for me personally. However, being a professional survey, questionnaire, and inventory taker, I found that I could guess the answers that fit my self-perception.
I highly regard a complex way of considering human personality that allows for a deep level of individuality. This complex way looks at gifts, skills, and preferences. Therefore, I find that-like all instruments-the StrengthsFinder is inadequate alone for making holistic life decisions.
Even so, finding your strengths can mean finding lasting satistfaction in your field. So this book, the instrument, and the interpretation of each strength will help you focus yourself.
I also found helpful a section that talked about how to have a strengths-focused organization.
VINE VOICEon April 6, 2013
What if...knowing the strengths of your team members was central to knowing your customers? What if...at your staff meeting this week, you assured your people that their weaknesses were almost irrelevant?

"Find out what you don't like doing," says Marcus Buckingham, "and stop doing it!" Millions of people have discovered their strengths through Gallup's amazing series of strengths books--this being the first.

You're heard this stat a lot--only 17 percent of the workforce "play to their strengths" every day. That's tragic!

Years after this was first published, I'm still amazed at how many leaders and managers have not read this or any of the other books, like StrengthsFinder 2.0 or Strengths Based Leadership: Great Leaders, Teams, and Why People Follow.

The big idea: focus on enhancing your team members' strengths rather than eliminating their weaknesses. The book describes 34 positive personality themes such as Achiever, Developer, Learner and Maximizer.

You'll learn how to build a "strengths-based organization" by capitalizing on the fact that such traits are already present on your team. The book directs you to a web-based interactive questionnaire developed by the Gallup Organization and you'll instantly discover you own top five strengths.

My top five are Focus, Responsibility, Significance, Belief and Maximizer (in that order). Amazingly, the authors say that less than a dozen people in North America have the same top five in the same order.

At your next staff meeting, ask two questions:
#1. Recent polls reveal that less than two out of ten people - the actual figure is 17 percent - say they spend the majority of their day "playing to their strengths." Wow! Is that true in our organization?
#2. What would happen here if we turned that around--and all of us invested the majority of our day in "playing to our strengths?"
on July 18, 2015
Disappointed in this book, the author makes alot of assumptions and biasses in his text. It is simply put if this one trait applies to you this is who you are in all areas and goes into unrelated aspects. Leadership books are great; however,stay away from Marcus who just wants $$. Disappointed in how raved this book was. You can find all of this non-sense online for free anyways and the quality of the book was very thin paper with the old beige color look even from the first day of use.
on June 16, 2017
This is a great exercise for one self as well as for a Team of folks to identify their strengths and utilize them to the fullest.
on January 29, 2006
A very enlightening book (though I think the way the publisher forces each reader to buy a new book in order to use the very specialized online survey is somewhat annoying) that is surprisingly accurate (at least I found it so) at identifying the reader/participant's strengths. I felt quite elated after reading much of the book and taking the test, but I feel that the book fails in providing a substantial methodology that one can follow to take advantage of the strengths their online survey identifies. Probably would be a great book used in conjuntion with a workshop or seminar where a human facilitator could walk you through the steps of planning your follow-through.
on October 28, 2005
I liked this book. It will not solve all of your life's problems, or make you an instant success. But, it provides useful information derived from polls, interviews and a lot of refining that helps you to realize that if you are to succeed, you need to do what you do best and "manage" your weaknesses. This can be accomplished through a solid staff that complement one another with their strengths. If it's not good for anything else, it sheds light on other peoples' tendencies and their root causes. I gave the book four instead of five stars because a few more "how should you use this everyday" examples would have been helpful. But, again, if you expect to get anything from the book, you should plan to work.
on September 9, 2015
This book is being used for a class for my Master's. Its a new book. At the back of the book is a sealed envelop giving the buyer an Access code to take the Strengths test. I It didn't work. I like the book, it's easy to read, but now I have to deal with a code that doesn't work and the Strengths Test is a required process for class. The only problem with purchasing Amazon books is that there is little help to turn to when there is a problem like this. I love their prices and delivery, but now I'm struggling with how to resolve the issue of where to find help to access the code for the test.
on June 5, 2016
You get to a point in life where you discover you are doing work that you don't like or that you can't get a total grasp on. It looks like we are not supposed to master everything but rather build on the strengths that we have. But first you need to understand what your strengths are.

I read this book and after doing the provided strengths test I found myself seeing things that I did not thought I care for. Very useful for people trying to understand what they really like in life.