- Get a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically
- Earn 5% cash back in rotating categories each quarter like Amazon.com, restaurants, ground transportation and more, up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate.
- Good Grades Rewards: $20 cash back each school year your GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next 5 years.
- New! Free Social Security number alerts, we'll monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up*
- No annual fee. No late fee on first late payment. No APR change for paying late.
- Get 100% U.S. based customer service & FICO® Credit Score for free on monthly statements, on mobile and online.
- Freeze It® on/off switch for your account that prevents new purchases, cash advances & balance transfers in seconds.
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 6 months, then the standard variable purchase APR of 13.99% - 22.99%.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Cashback MatchTM details & other information.
The information shown on this page is provided by the financial institution and is believed to be accurate at the time of posting (September 05, 2017). Please click "Apply Now" above to see the most up to date terms and conditions.
Annual Percentage Rate
|Purchase APR||13.99% - 22.99% (Variable)*|
|Balance Transfer APR||13.99% - 22.99% (Variable)*|
|Cash Advance APR||25.99% (Variable)*|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3% of the amount of each transfer|
|Cash Advance Fee||Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||None|
|Late Payment Fee||None the first time you pay late. After that, up to $37|
|Return Payment Fee||Up to $37|
|Rewards Type||Cash back|
|Application Eligibility||To be eligible for the Discover Student Credit Card you must be a college student.|
|Minimum Credit Quality (What's This)||Fair|
Additional Details & Restrictions
* Intro purchase APR is 0% for 6 months from the date of account opening; then the standard purchase APR applies. Intro Balance Transfer APR is 10.99% for 6 months from date of first transfer, for transfers under this offer that post to your account by 12/10/2017; then the standard purchase APR applies. Standard purchase APR: from 13.99% variable to 22.99% variable depending on your creditworthiness. Cash APR: 25.99% variable. Variable APRs will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate. Minimum interest charge: $.50. Cash advance fee: 5%, min. $10. Balance transfer fee: 3% Annual Fee: $0. Rates as of 8/31/2017. When we evaluate creditworthiness, we consider your credit report, all the information you provide and other information. Customers with the best credit profiles receive the lowest rate. Other customers receive higher rates and may be offered an account with different rates or terms, including no introductory rates or rewards incentives. We will apply payments at our discretion, including in a manner most favorable or convenient for us. Each billing period, we will generally apply amounts you pay that exceed the Minimum Payment Due to balances with higher APRs before balances with lower APRs as of the date we credit your payment.
* REWARDS: We will send full terms and conditions with your card. Each quarterly 5% program has a cap on category purchases and you must sign up for each program. The amount of the cap may change. 5% category purchases over the quarterly cap, and all other purchases, earn 1% cash back. Rewards have no expiration. We will credit your Account with your Cashback Bonus balance if your Account is closed or if you have not used it within 18 months. Redemption may not be available for approximately 24-48 hours if your card is reported lost or stolen. Call 1-800-347-3085 for more details.
*Amazon is not a sponsor of this promotion. Amazon, the Amazon.com logo and the smile logo are trademarks of Amazon or its affiliates.
*Good Grade Reward only available to new cardmembers on or after 7/23/2015 who indicate on their application that they are currently enrolled in college, and whose accounts are current and remain open when the Good Grade Reward is requested. Students with a Discover it(R) or Discover it(R) chrome card who have a GPA of 3.0 or higher(or equivalent) during a School Year (September - August) may apply at Discover.com for a $20 Cashback Bonus ("Good Grade Reward"). One Good Grade Reward per School Year, per account, up to a maximum of five (5) consecutive years from the date your account is opened. Terms of Good Grade Offer are subject to change.
*Discover(R) Identity Alerts are offered by Discover Bank at no cost, only available online, and currently include the following services: (a) daily monitoring of your Experian(R) credit report and an alert when a new account is listed on your report; (b) daily monitoring of thousands of risky websites known for revealing personal information and an alert if your Social Security Number on is found on such a website. This information is intended for, and only provided to, Primary credit cardmembers whose accounts are open, in good standing and have an email address on file. The Primary cardmember must agree online to receive identity alerts. Identity alert services are based on Experian information and data which may differ from information and data at other credit bureaus. Monitoring your credit report does not impact your credit score. This benefit may change or end in the future. Discover Bank is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. To learn more, visit Discover.com/FreeAlerts.
* FICO(R) Credit Score Terms: Your FICO(R) Credit Score and key factors are based on data from TransUnion and may be different from other credit scores. This information is intended for and only provided to Primary cardmembers who have an available score. See Discover.com/FICO about the availability of your score. Your score is provided on the statement for individual accounts and on Discover.com with key factors for individual and joint accounts. You will see up to a year of recent scores online starting when you become a cardmember. Discover and other lenders may use different inputs, such as a FICO(R) Credit Score, other credit scores and more information in credit decisions. This benefit may change or end in the future. FICO is a registered trademark of the Fair Isaac Corporation in the United States and other countries. If you prefer not to receive your FICO(R) Credit Score just call us at 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683). Please give us two billing cycles to process your request. To learn more, visit Discover.com/FICO
* Cashback MatchTM:After the first 12 consecutive billing periods that your new account is open, we will match all of the cash back rewards you’ve earned and apply them to your account in the following one or two billing periods. If your account is closed or no longer in the cash back reward program at the time we calculate your potential award, your cash back will not be matched. You’ve earned cash back rewards when they have posted to your account by the end of the 12th consecutive billing period. This promotional offer may not be offered in the future. This exclusive offer is available only to new cardmembers.
* Freeze it(R): When you freeze your account, Discover will not authorize new purchases, cash advances or balance transfers. However, some activity will continue, including bills that merchants mark as recurring, as well as returns, credits, dispute adjustments, payments, Discover protection product fees, other account fees, interest, rewards redemptions and certain other exempted transactions.
Important Information from Amazon
Amazon will not assist you in obtaining a credit card and does not guarantee or represent that you will receive credit.
*Amazon.com Gift Cards: Amazon.com Gift Cards are issued by ACI Gift Cards, Inc., a Washington corporation. For complete terms and conditions, see http://www.amazon.com/gc-legal. No expiration or service fees.
Top customer reviews
First and foremost, I did a lot of research before I decided to apply for this card. Out of all of the contenders, the Discover it was far superior in rewards, perks, and customer service.
The rewards are perhaps the most enticing aspect of the Discover it card. As of right now, there are over 200 businesses that offer AT LEAST 5% back on purchases there (the rewards go all the way up to 20%). That's on top of the 5% quarterly bonuses on the things you we shop for most; right now, 5% back on all gasoline purchases. Next quarter will be holiday purchases (I don't know exactly what that will entail, but it sounds like something I'll use). And of course, there's the 50 dollar gift card from Amazon if you apply with them. Also, they have a great referral program with which you can earn up to 500 dollars per year.
Next, there are some great perks with the card. First noticed is the free FICO on every statement. I've found this to be more accurate than any of the free sites (compared with my actual FICO from myFICO.com) so that's a great way to keep track of my credit building progress. The payment system they have in place is very efficient for me. It allows me to add up to 8 accounts from which to pay my bill or if necessary transfer to. Another thing I find useful is their spending analyzer, it is incredibly useful for budgeting. And of course, you can consider all of the cashback rewards perks.
Finally, all of Discover's customer service is USA based, so it makes things faster and easier to take care of. You never have to wait long even during busy times and you always feel like your operator truly cares.
Everything together, I found this card to be the best overall card for students. It offers more rewards and useful tools than any other card, and who wouldn't rather an American operator?
That said, in addition to the 50 dollar gift card you could get when you are approved, if you email me, I can get you an additional $50 FOR FREE through my referral. And this cash will be usable for anything you want, not just on amazon.
Just shoot me a message at ddbrisbin @ gmail and I will give you the hook-up.
If you are worried about getting approved, take it from me, you absolutely can. In my approval package, they said my FICO was 523, so you're probably solid.
Discover just earned a new loyal customer
I always pay in time and in full. Never paid any fees. I was given a limit increase automatically after about 6 months or so.
You only get the $50 cashback through a referral, email me on firstname.lastname@example.org if you want me to send you referral link.
The card itself is really nice, I got the night time city design, I wish I would of gotten the tape tho. They give you some pretty nice choices for your card. Only thing I would tell you is to be safe with your card because all the information is on the back, the numbers and 3 digit security code. Basicly just watch where you pull it out and hold it because there are people out there who take advantage.
They also give you some really great deals and rewards. Yes, you do get the 5% back *If you opt in every quarter* but they also give you some online shopping deal that can go up to 20%. I think the first quarter of every year is gas, which is what alot of people would be using the most. For right now tho its on home improvement and whole food stores.
They gave me a pretty big credit line in comparison to my girlfriend who has the same no credit history (she has a different card company). I just got the card about 2 days ago so I havnt used it yet because you know I dont want to over spend and be in debt but I will update this review as time pass's. Including how cash back worked and the card itself.
All in all though I would definitely get this card if your a student who wants a good credit card to start you credit life.
Most recent customer reviews
- It's really easy to apply. I'm an international student who's been studying in the US for a year.Read more