- File Size: 2612 KB
- Print Length: 594 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Books; Reprint edition (February 8, 2011)
- Publication Date: February 8, 2011
- Sold by: Penguin Group (USA) LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B004DI7HZ6
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #6,122 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$17.00|
Save $6.01 (35%)
Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price set by seller.
A Discovery of Witches: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy, Book 1) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 594 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $11.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
- Book 1 of 3 in All Souls Trilogy (3 Book Series)
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The issue isn't that Harkness uses these tropes over again--they are tried and true for a reason--it's that it's her first novel and you can tell. Her foreshadowing lacks subtlety. Last-minute contrivances fix issues. Too much time is spent on the minutiae of eating/traveling/clothing. Expository conversations are used to forward the plot. And the plot itself is bogged down with irrelevant information. You know, the kinds of things any writer's workshop would explain are problems because they affect flow and readability.
But do these problems ruin the story?
For most urban fantasy readers, those are issues that won't impede their enjoyment of the love story. However, while I enjoyed Harkness' blending of ideas and the magic, even if they aren't exactly groundbreaking, the execution made it hard for me to enjoy it on a level that would make me give an unhesitating endorsement.
The story starts off with a problem: why does everyone want Ashmole 782? Diana is a Ph.D.Read more ›
"Oh, Matthew de Clairmont! You must remember that I'm an independent and strong 35-year-old, tenured, Oxford professor! I don't need your help just because you are a thousand-year-old vampire who looks like a 30-something and smells of spices and has long elegant fingers and a chiseled jaw and broad shoulders and mesmerizing eyes and such masculine energy and impeccable taste in wine and cheese and mushrooms and ...... *swoons*....oh, all that MONEY!"
"I know, Diana, my love, my goddess. You are the strongest witch I've ever known! You row and run every day and your body is just...SCHUH-WING! You are so much stronger than I am! I tried so hard not to love you, but I am drawn to your power and your light! NO! Wait! I mustn't! I am so ....dangerous...so dark...! I can't bear the thought of accidentally attacking you."
"Oh Matthew, you know I will love you no matter what. I know I can handle your wild beastliness!"
"No, Diana, I am telling you I could kill you if I lose control! I am so broooooody and daaaaaark!"
"Oh, you silly! I know you love me! We've known each other almost 3 weeks now and I just KNOW you could never, ever give me the hurtsies and booboos! And will you please show me how to use my magic that I have always known was there but just couldn't awaken without you? *simper* NO! No, WAIT! I don't WANT to be a witch! I've always known I have such power and I'm the most special witch that ever was, but I'm just too afraid to use my vast powers!Read more ›
Diana Bishop's famous ancestor was executed for being a witch. As a heart-rending consequence of Diana's parents' mysterious deaths, Diana has vowed she will live totally as a human, denying her identity as a witch with both usual and unusual powers. Dedicating her life to logic and ordinary living, she is now a history scholar doing research on alchemy texts in the Bodleian library at Oxford. Upon receiving a requested text called Ashmole 782, she realizes either the book is spellbound or there is something about this book that connects with her hidden witch powers. Add to that the reactions of suddenly appearing witches, vampires, and daemons whose animosity and threatening looks and words make Diana's wish for normalcy an illusion she can no longer ignore.
Into the midst of this reality arrives a handsome, extremely intelligent and old vampire, Matthew Clairmont, who is supposedly pursuing his own research as a geneticist. Initially disliking and avoiding his presence, Diana finally begins to realize he is protecting her from direct attack by the hordes of persons appearing daily in the library who are insisting she recall the text they are desperate to obtain. Then he begins to appear during her running and rowing exercises which seem to be the only way she can stop her natural abilities from emerging with perilous effects on herself as well as others.
Why is Matthew so attracted to Diana and what is behind the interest so many have in this mysterious text lost for centuries which has appeared and again disappeared after Diana's innocent unbinding of its pages?Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Such a good love story. Loved the magic and didn't know all the things a witch could do. The story ties together very well. Quite different than one expects.Published 5 hours ago by Dale sha
Interesting story. It kept me guessing. I really like the main characters Diana and Matthew. It is an unusual fictional world that the author has created and I can hardly wait to... Read morePublished 1 day ago by TReeve
good so far, have not finished it yet. I am finding out that both characters are infatuated with one another.Published 1 day ago by Sarah Schroeder
I really liked this book, even though it was far too romantic genre based for me. The love affair between the two main characters was a little too sappy for me, however I am... Read morePublished 1 day ago by Debra Greenwood
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Occult
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Historical
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Supernatural > Ghosts
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Supernatural > Vampires
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Supernatural > Witches & Wizards
- Books > Romance
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Epic
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Romantic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Occult
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Suspense > Paranormal > Vampires
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Occult > Alchemy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Epic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban