Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 195 reviews(1 star, Verified Purchases). See all 5,308 reviews
on July 16, 2017
Within two chapters, this book goes from strong female protagonist to spineless damsel-in-distress, following the orders of a creepy stalker.
on August 8, 2017
I really did not like this book. It just couldn't keep my interest and reading it felt like a chore.
on July 20, 2015
Was recommended by someone I thought had similar tastes.. And just wow. Had to force myself to finish this book. The characters were cliche stereotypes and there was little you did not see coming. Would alter core traits of characters to keep the storyline going the way the author wanted. Verses following the path these characters seemed to want to go. You cannot create a strong character then suddenly hVe them become passive to others like one would flip a light switch on n off in their home.
on February 15, 2014
I had to quit reading this, even though it started out very promising and there was a lot I liked about the story. If the author had just dialed back the cheesy TAKE ME AND MAKE ME YOURS love story several notches, I would've kept going. But after one too many scenes where Matthew goes way past protective and chivalrous and becomes insanely controlling and a straight up jerk, I had to stop.

It was just crazy. I understand that a strong, confident man is attractive, and I totally get the whole thing with a hot vampire being super protective and focused on you. But this just went too far. There are a bunch of other reviews that describe this very well. I just wanted to get a one star review on the books, because I'm so mad that I started this.
on September 15, 2011
First of all, I can't even remember what prompted me to buy this for the Kindle - after reading it, I couldn't imagine what prompted me to buy it at all. I should've gotten the sample, because I guarantee it wouldn't have taken me its whole length to decide against this book.

The only saving grace is the world of witches, vampires and demons. I like how they are categorized and given their unique talents/weaknesses - but then it ends for me.

I have always wanted to write a book - and at least this one makes me think I can, and get published. The prose is crap, the dialogue is stilted and cliche. We spend more time reading about what the main character (Diana) is eating than anything else. She makes these terrible discoveries about herself - that she's basically a vessel of enormous destructive power - but let's not talk about that - let's talk about her vampire love or the tea she drank that morning.

The plot has already been covered enough - I just wanted to be yet another voice of warning.

Don't buy this book.
on November 9, 2014
I have to remind myself when out of books to not buy a trilogy until I have read the first book. I tried as hard as I could to read this book, but I have to admit that I read for enjoyment and that I want to be entertained in a world I do not live in. This book bores me to tears. You can tell it is written by a history professor and not someone who enjoys telling a story. It is long winded in the descriptions of what a witch is and what a vampire is and if this is the first time I had ever heard of these two, I would never want to read about them ever again. This author needs to stick to lectures and leave the storytelling to those who know how to do it.
on October 20, 2012
I do not understand the popularity of this book. After forcing myself to read it, I am still confused. The plot is so thin, the characters unappealing, and the dialogue hum-drum. The story moves slowly, and I just can't read anymore than I have.
on August 17, 2017
I purchased this a little over two months ago as a gift for my daughter. She just started reading in and about 100 pages in the book was missing about 50 pages. Totally ruined the book. I would return it but it is past the time.
on January 10, 2015
Had to give up after a handful of pages. Unbearable - yes the Bodleian Library is in Oxford as painstakingly pointed out. No, I don't think Oxford has a "Fall" term. Yes, I might have forgiven if it had the last bit of local colour - even the name of a pub as opposed to "the pub across the road". Shoddy work.
on August 23, 2014
I read about half of this book then donated it to the library. I have never been so bored by such mindless drivel in all my life. I don't need 42 pages describing something that nothing to do with anything in the book. I wanted to like it, I really did. Save your money.