Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 96 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 126 reviews
on August 9, 2015
I ordered this book after hearing the author on an NPR talk show. It is a common sense approach to eating healthy foods in healthy quantities. What I like is that it gently steers the reader away from fad diets, something I think we should all do. As the author points out, you can lose weight on the so-called "Twinkie Diet" but it's not healthy. Also, fad diets are like drugs...as long as you stick with them...and purchase the products they promote and sometimes sell...you can lose weight, but you may be hooked. Any book that teaches you how to eat sensibly and in sensible, healthy proportions is worth reading. This one falls into that category.
on January 5, 2016
Common sense that is not so common. Eat right, exercise, don't put toxins in your body. This advice isn't sexy or cutting edge but maybe that's why it's the truth. There is power in simplicity and this book hammers home the age old advice but with scientific proof to validate the point that if we take care of ourselves on a daily basis, we greatly eliminate chances of developing chronic illness. It's also important (to me atleast) that the author emphasizes that the reader is not only responsible for their body and health but that of others including family members. I have three small kids and a wife and the information in this book provides a pathway to an overall healthier lifestyle for my family.
on October 25, 2013
There are countless books out there on the topic of getting healthy and fit, but this is the most complete and practical entry I have yet seen. Disease Proof is a step-by-step guide for overcoming the barriers that stand between us and a healthier, higher-quality and, quite probably, longer life. Its innovation is a detailed explanation of how to spark and sustain lifestyle change until it becomes the new normal. Dr. Katz makes his case by employing a newly minted word, "Skillpower", which refers to the specifics of change, and breaks down the process of remaking one's life into discrete skills to be learned and practiced, whether related to food, physical activity, motivation or even happiness.

Quick story. Some years ago, my wife, sons and I were daily drinkers of whole milk. We wanted to cut out that fat, so one day we decided to try skim milk. Well, of course it was dreadful. More like semi-gloss latex rinsewater than a dairy product. So we started instead with 2% lowfat milk. A little thin at first but, after a month or so, we no longer noticed. Then to 1%. Same process, same result. Then to .5% (hard to find anymore) and finally to skim. In six months we had permanently reprogrammed our taste buds to accept skim milk as whole milk. So I should not have been surprised to find this exact plan described in Disease Proof, along with other examples to rehab our tasters away from the sweet and salty flavors that, the author says, drive appetite. There are also eye-openers here on how best to eat on the run, decoding restaurant menus and the hidden spin food manufacturers put on those objective-looking product ingredient labels at the supermarket. (Note, the book contains a handy list of common food items and their nutritional grades from NuVal, a helpful 1 to 100 scoring system developed by the author and his colleagues at Yale.)

It is good to hear a doctor declare that doctors can't fix us, any more than our high school guidance counselors could have taken trigonometry for us. As Dr. Katz points out, the power to dramatically reduce our risk of chronic disease, and perhaps even recover from them, resides within us all. Like Dorothy with those ruby pumps. Quite a breath of fresh air amid the cultural headwinds that would have us all believe there is a pill for everything.

In sum, Disease Proof is a heavily researched and reassuring pep talk that breaks down the problem of fundamental change into manageable pieces. Science and logic strongly suggest that those who commit to this book's curriculum can reasonably expect a personal sea change, all the way down to the genetic level -- which just might be the hidden lead story here. Talk about motivation.
44 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2014
Circling the drain - wow I never thought of my lack of nutritional knowledge as a death spiral. Growing up we ate because we were hungry, a meal was served or just because. I never had a class in nutrition and started packing on the pounds. Well it doesn't have to be that way.
Food as medicine - a new concept for me.

Several years ago I read The China Study on the recommendation of a doctor friend. Now in my late 60's I take no meds, eat a mostly plant based diet and walk briskly at least 30 minutes daily. I soon lost over 25 pounds, feel much better and my annual check up proved I am on the right course.

Dr. Katz explains how to avoid disease in four simple steps that are easy to follow with lots of solid advice for staying on tract. Now I get it - eat well, exercise and avoid trips to the doctor's office. Good advice and it helped reinforce my motivation. Dr. Katz also helps turn off the media noise of this or that new diet with a simple but practical guide backed up by solid research.
on March 10, 2015
This is an amazing book. It brings together many facets of preventative health care and presents them in a unified way that makes incorporating life-style changes into one's daily routine an easy and sensible task. To me, this book is one of those one-in-a-million encounters. I will be referring to this book time and time again as I journey towards optimal health.
on October 24, 2014
This is a good read with a lot of useful information. I think he falls into the trap like a lot of these type of self-help books of making things too black and white and having a slogan or catchphrase. His catchphrase is "the 3 f's". Also I think he makes it sound too simple that if you just eat right (and exercise and don't smoke) then you will avoid all these nasty diseases and live for years longer. It don't think it is quite that simple but his advice certainly helps. I know people that are careful what they eat, don't smoke and exercise and still have health issues. And some people do all that and still die of cancer. Also it is not always clear what is good for you. One example is coconut oil/cream in food. That was supposed to be bad for you for years and now it is supposed to be a super food. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in between. Definitely worth a read though.
on July 3, 2014
This is a great book for anyone who is considering changing their eating and fitness habits but has no idea where to begin. It is also great for those who are already eating healthy to be more knowledgeable about what ingredients to lookout for in processed foods and when eating out. I loved reading it and will recommend it to all my friends. This is one of those books that every person in this planet should read. It is the basics for knowing how to nurture your body and stay healthy.
on November 6, 2013
Excellent information presented in a clear way. This book confirmed a lot of what I already knew, but it also provided explanations for a number of things I didn't know or didn't completely understand . The most important thing about the book is that it provides a number of actionable concepts that can and will help people lose weight and live better. In the current healthcare environment, we all have to start doing that.
on April 14, 2017
This is one of those books that should have been 15 pages long.
on July 11, 2014
Anyone who is serious about learning about how to become healthier through making informed eatting choices, should read and reread this book. I highly recommend Dr Katz's book to health practioners as well as any human consumers. It may become your favorite guide. My family loves this book. Get it.