Spring Deals Automotive Magazine Deals New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 11, 2013
I'm glad I only wasted $30 on this crappy game.

There's absolutely NO reason, in this day and age, we shouldn't be able to invert BOTH Y and X axes. ESPECIALLY in a game that requires quick reactions and has combat. Because of this terrible oversight, both combat and movement are terrible. The opening game "tutorial" is awful and lacking. I would say I wish I'd gotten this on PC, but honestly I just wish I'd not bought it at all.
1010 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 15, 2012
Gamers will recognize structural elements from Bioshock, which, to my mind, is a very good thing. Here, however, the stealth mechanics work flawlessly, and your magical abilities aren't simply various weapons. Rather, the mechanics allow you to teleport short distances, see through walls (a la Batman, Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed, etc) and inhabit animals and other humans. Not only are these mechanics just cool, they allow you to attack objectives in a multiplicity of ways. DISHONORED is thus a game that can sustain at least a few play throughs.

Get Dark Vision Immediately.
Then Upgrade Blink to level 2.
Then upgrade Agility to 1, as your ability to jump higher will enable higher blinks. Agility 2 is useless.
Then get Bend time. Then STOP time. Stop time costs 8 runes, and it's worth it--especially when you want to kill Tall Boys.

My only gripe would be that the game seems to punish you for being what you are--an assassin-- as killing just a moderate amount of people (in video game reality, obviously) leads to the "dark" ending. To that I ask, who hired the Church Lady as a designer on this thing? I did my best to spare non-combatants, yet the game still seems to take a dim view of killing. And I won't give anything away, but the "dark" ending is not satisfying. I was hoping for at least something bittersweet, like the end of The Searchers.

There's also no barometer to give you real-time data on how much "chaos" you're creating. However, you do get your stats at the end of a mission. So if you're going for the no-kill play through, you ca re-do that mission if you accidentally killed someone. (Unlike Deus Ex, which kept you guessing until the end--Lame.)

It would be good to have some "chaos" gradations in this game. Therefore, you could have a play through with

1. a normal ending (you killed a lot of guys because you're a badasss and they got in your way) but spared civilians, knocked out people when you could and weren't a complete psycho),
2. an ending where you were one of the Super Friends (you killed very few people).
3. a REALLY twisted ending where you played through as a complete homicidal maniac--killing everyone and their pets without compunction and without mercy and often without reason except because there's something wrong with you.

However, I simply played how I wanted--with a fairly strict scorched Earth policy--and watched the "happy" ending on YouTube. Maybe I'll do a no-kill play through at some later point.

But this is pretty nit-picky. Playing the game is really fun. I'm just a little irritated by the end (if you didn't get that).

In conclusion, if you dig first person stealth action games with broad (though not strictly open) worlds, buy this game. It's great.
1010 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 9, 2012
This game is definitely one of the most engaging and creative games that I have EVER come across. If you are a fan of Assassin's Creed and Skyrim, this game should DEFINITELY be on your shelf!

Pros: The game has a fantastic open-ended story line with great visuals. You can decide on how you want to play the game although how you play strongly affects the ending of the game. You could go about the entire game without killing a single person, or you could unleash a bloodbath. That is entirely up to you!

Con: Just wish the game was a little longer. They will probably come out with an expansion for this game.

I would suggest playing this game MULTIPLE times just so you can play differently each time. I tried playing "peacefully" for one round, but I intend to play like a barbarian kick-arse assassin next time!
77 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 25, 2012
Let me first say that I am an older gamer... I like the Uncharted Series, Assassin's Creed Series, and Infamous 1 and 2... I thought this game would be along the lines of those, mixed with Metal Gear...

I have now tried to play this game on two occasions... I played it for about a week. Hated it. I just played it again after about a month layoff... STILL HATE IT!!!

It's so repetitive... over and over and over again the same thing... Sure there are some cool super natural powers, but even they get old. Don't waste your money... Buy something else...
99 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 11, 2012
On the game itself:

* The art is excellent
* The sound merges well to create an immersive feel
* The camera doesn't wobble around making you miss jumps, but does get knocked off center when you take a hit. That, to me, is a good thing. You're playing a man, getting smacked around, not the bloody terminator.
* The story seems deep at first, but peters out to be more than a bit formulaic. The empress, and her daughter, are very likable, but the former isn't around long enough to matter and the latter gets far too little screen time. Pendelton is grating and obnoxious. The admiral seems stamped out to be a generic military character and only seemed to be more than a quest giver when he was talking to the girl (side chatter that has nothing to do with the game) about sea battles.
* No crashing or stutter as with some other games people seem to worry about this being a repeat of.

There's a lot of potential there, and I hope it gets some DLC to fully realize that, but it seems lacking to me as it stands at launch.

On my impression of the game:

I rented Dishonored from RedBox and didn't even need to put in a second day. I admit it was my day off, so I spent a lot of time (7 hours on terminator style executioner play, four more on stealth before sending it back to the kiosk) playing it, but I still shouldn't have been able to blast through a $60 game that fast.

After finishing the game there's really no reason to play again. They say there's variance in the endings depending on your Chaos level, but it's not the open type of game where you want to experience things all over again from a different perspective.

After starting a new game and playing through to the bridge without noticing any major differences I ended up just pulling the other ending up on YouTube and watching it, no need for a second play through or another day's rental. Maybe there will be more to come with DLC, and this is an excellent game while it lasts, but it has definitely moved down from the wishlist to the if I see it for $20 list. There's just not enough there to justify paying out full retail.
77 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 21, 2013
I wasn't going to review the game at all, because at first I thought the problem was that I simply didn't care for stealth games. But there's more to it than that.

I recognize that gamers with more patience than I will figure out how to avoid the bad guys, but it drove me bananas. Ducking behind cover should have hid me, and it didn't. Hiding around a corner after teleporting away from attackers should have protected me, but it didn't. For a "non-linear" game, it seemed like there were only two options: plowing through people or watching the load screen over and over and over and over and over until I could finally figure out through sheer repetition what I was "supposed" to do.

That left me getting caught a lot, and then I was left with a rather unsatisfying combat mode. And even if I won combat, I lost, because the game penalized you for racking up a body count of soldiers just doing their jobs.

I guess that when I see Bethesda, I remember the 100+ hours I spent on Fallout 3 and forget how dry and disappointed I was with Oblivion and New Vegas. I keep wanting a game from them to grab me like Fallout 3 did, and I think I'm finally getting it through my thick head that Fallout 3 was the exception and not the rule.

It's a very pretty game, but it simply wasn't fun to play.
66 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 12, 2016
Before the review: the disc itself was sold as a "Like New" condition. It should've been "Very Good" because the disc has some very light chips along the edges a bit, but it didn't affect the game being played. A helpful tip: turn down the "head-bob" level in the settings since it may get you dizzy when you play this for awhile. Onto brass tacks.

I may be late to the party, but better late than never. Dishonored is a quality Stealth, FPS/Action-Adventure game with even some slight RPG elements. It's basic storyline is this: You are Corvo Attano, the royal bodyguard for the Empress and her young daughter in the fictional city of Dunwall (inspired by England during the 19th century). Tragic events occur and you are framed for a crime you didn't commit and promptly arrested and set to be executed. You then undertake a story of revenge and try to clear your name, all while gaining new sorcerous powers and getting the option to either pacify your enemies non-lethally or to brutally indulge your blood-thirst by massacring everyone who stands in your way. This might be more fun, however, it adds to the "chaos" surrounding you and effectively changes the game's ending and setting, due to your bloodlust. An interesting tidbit is that Bethesda intended on having players go through 2 playthroughs where you could try both methods of gameplay, pacifistic and straight-up assassin.

A critique I would have is that it's almost forces you to play the game with having as low chaos as possible to get a good outcome/ending in the storyline, which isn't very easy to do all the time. For starters, if an enemy does spot you, there's no way to dispatch him non-lethally without either running away or shooting him with a sleep dart. It isn't always possible to do either of those in some situations, so sometimes you have no choice but to kill him. It is also incredibly tedious to go through the game by trying to be as stealthy as possible, choke an enemy out, sneak, rinse and repeat. I've tried doing that and my kills are usually so minimal that they are in the single digits in almost every mission and still wound up with having high chaos on almost every mission. Like I said, the game encourages less killing but it definitely isn't as much fun and you barely utilize your powers if you go through doing a non-lethal, stealth playthrough the entire time.

Another aspect I really enjoy is leveling up your character's powers. Each of your powers can be upgraded twice to reach its max level which enables you to either move faster/jump higher, see through walls, summon rats to eat your enemies, etc. There are certain upgrades you'll want to purchase in direct correlation to your playing style. If you're going for stealth, go for things that can help you observe your enemies, slow time, etc. If you want to really have a good time and completely dominate your opponents, go for the offensive powers, which there are actually quite a good selection of them.

So in all, Dishonored has a storyline that's sort of cliché, but the overall gameplay, unique art design, and versatility in gameplay style (despite its limitations and sometimes frustration), gives it a solid score and I believe that you'll really enjoy playing through it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 14, 2013
It took me a while before I finally decided to get this game. When Dishonored was originally released I was mildly interested in it, but not enough to jump on it right away. But as time went by and I found out more about the game, I got more and more intrigued, and now that it's at a very reasonable price, I took a chance and bought the game. It was a chance I'm glad I took. It's quite difficult to classify the type of game that Dishonored is because the gameplay is basically a combination of several different genres. It has first-person shooter elements, yet it's not a first-person shooter. It has stealth elements, yet it's not purely a stealth game. It even has some free-roaming elements with multiple routes you can take to reach your goal, yet (you guessed it) it's not a free-roaming game. All these elements were basically put into a blender and mixed together to form what is truly a unique gaming experience. You play as Corvo Attano, the Royal Protector of an empress who rules over the city of Dunwall which resembles a mid-1800s England. In Dunwall, whaling is a national past-time and the oil extracted from the whales is used as a power source for things such as vehicles, weaponry, and utilities, making for a booming industrial age for the city and the surrounding lands. Unfortunately, a deadly rat plague is decimating the city and causing lots of civil unrest.

After returning from a special assignment to seek aid against the plague from neighboring countries, Corvo meets with his empress, but their reunion is short-lived when the empress is assassinated by mysterious assailants as a result of a plot concocted by members of her own cabinet, and poor Corvo is framed for the murder and thrown in prison to be executed. An unknown party eventually offers a helping hand to Corvo and he is able to escape from the prison. Afterwards, his new benefactors recruit the former Royal Protector as their assassin and give him the task of doing away with those who framed him and murdered the empress, all in the hopes of putting the late empress's daughter on her rightful throne. While the story for Dishonored is a bit light from a narrative standpoint, it provides a very intriguing and attention grabbing tale through lots of notes, journals, and audiographs (audio recordings) that you find throughout missions, not to mention plenty of moments where you can listen in on conversations that not only provide mission clues, but also provide further insight on the in-game world and its lore. The most noticeable characteristic about this game is its emphasis on making choices. Pretty much everything you do or don't do in this game will have a measurable impact on how you succeed on your missions, on which missions you will or will not be able to undertake, and even how the story ends. For every action you take there WILL be some form of reaction.

Corvo has a nice collection of weapons and magic abilities that will aid him on his missions, which you can access through a weapon wheel or hot key them to the directional buttons. He always wields a blade in his right hand, and with his left hand he can use other projectile weapons such as a pistol, a crossbow (with standard, explosive, or sedative bolts), grenades, or a special mine that shoots out metal shards when an enemy makes contact with it. These weapons can be upgraded between missions at Corvo's hideout with a particular inventor named Piero, and bringing him special blueprints that can be found during missions provides Corvo with other upgrades (use the lenses on his mask to zoom in on distant enemies or points of interest, have his boots make less noise when he moves around, or increase the durability of his armor). More ammunition and restorative items can also be purchased from Piero, or found during missions in different locations or looted from downed enemies. Aside from his projectile weapons, Corvo can use his left hand to wield different magic abilities he gains from the mysterious, supernatural being known as the Outsider.

A couple of his most important abilities which let him sneak around much more easily are Blink, which lets him teleport to distant spots with pinpoint precision, and Dark Vision, which lets him see nearby enemies and special objects through walls and other obstructions. Other magic abilities he gains include being able to summon a swarm of rats to attack enemies, use possession to temporarily take control of animals or people, slow down/stop time to further assist in either stealth or combat, use a windblast to push back or kill enemies, and have the bodies of slain enemies disintegrate into ash to avoid having them discovered by other enemies. You don't automatically gain these powers or their respective upgrades as the story goes on though, instead you have to buy them by collecting runes which are scattered throughout the levels. Bone charms can also be found in each level and equipping them offers little bonuses such as being able to move more quickly while sneaking, swinging your sword more quickly, gaining more health when using a health potion, etc. The exact locations of runes and bone charms can be pointed out to you with the item known as the Heart, but actually getting to them can be tricky at times, especially when they're surrounded by many enemies or locked in safes. Even though collecting these things are optional, it's normally worth the time to get a hold of as many of them as you can, especially the runes.

Each mission you go on will put you in a rather expansive level where the goal is normally to get into a well guarded building or hideout, eliminate a target, and then make your way out in one piece. The environments themselves aren't all that different from each other (normally lots of buildings, mansions, and occasionally some sewers), but they're very well laid out and give you lots of options with regards to completing your missions. While you're pretty much always going from point A to point B and your goal is pointed out to you by an on-screen cursor, there are normally multiple routes you can take to get to where you need to go. For example, if you need to get past a security gate with an electrical field that will incinerate anyone but a city guard, you can do one of several things: cut the power to the electrical field and stroll right through the gate, go around the gate by using a nearby alley or a rooftop, possess a city guard and walk through the electrical field, etc. Or if you need to get into a well defended building you can teleport and jump your way up to get in through a second floor window or possess a rat and get in the building through a ventilation duct. You normally have many routes to take to your goal, it's just up to you to find them. Another aspect in which you have options is in dealing with your enemies. When sneaking up behind an enemy or other characters you can choose to kill them with a quick stab in the neck or grab them in a chokehold to knock them out, after which you can move the body and hide it somewhere so it doesn't get discovered. If you don't want to take out the enemy and simply need a key they're carrying to get past a locked door, you can pickpocket them and then leave the enemy alone.

Choosing whether or not to kill someone does more than just affect the way you play the game, it also affects how civilians and friendly NPCs view you, which in the long run dictates whether you get the more favorable ending or the darker ending. In this regard, the game's Chaos system works very much like a more realistic rendition of your classic video game karma system. Dealing with your enemies in a non-lethal manner and helping other characters keeps Chaos at a low level, whereas ruthlessly slaying all those in front of you will raise your Chaos level. Even if you only kill enemies and spare innocents, being too bloodthirsty has an impact on your overall image; society tends to look down on ruthless killers in spite of how righteous their goals may be. That's not to say that you can't kill anyone if you want the good ending. Killing a handful of enemies or targets here and there won't affect the Chaos level all that much, but a high body count (about 10 or more per mission) will create some negative vibes and raise the Chaos levels. A high Chaos level will result in the presence of more enemies and dangers to stand in your way. As I assume most gamers did when they played this game, I rarely killed enemies, no more than 5 per mission, and beat the game with a low Chaos level. It's actually possible to beat this game without taking a single life; even your main assassination targets can be dealt with through non-lethal (and very clever) means, although in several cases they normally involve going off the beaten path and completing optional side missions for other characters.

Speaking of enemies, there's not a huge variety to them, but they do keep things interesting. The city guards, thugs, and assassins of Dunwall can all be dealt with in the same manner whether it's through stealth or direct combat, and while most use guns and swords, others have special weapons or abilities of their own like using whiskey bottles to blow fire breath at you or their own teleportation abilities. Weepers are somewhat different; they're people who have succumbed to the later stages of the rat plague with blood "weeping" from their eyes (and they vomit out a lot of blood too). Similarly to zombies, they shamble around aimlessly and automatically attack anyone else within reach by biting them, but they can be incapacitated or killed just as easily as any regular human enemy. The most unique enemies are the Tallboys, which are heavily armored city guards on mechanical stilts armed with explosive arrow launchers. Not only are they the most physically imposing enemies, but they cannot be knocked unconscious (under normal circumstances), so if you're going for a no-kill playthrough, then they basically have to be avoided completely.

Other enemies include swarms of rats, guard dogs, large water mollusks that spit acid, and even hostile fish who will attack you if you swim too close to them (killing these enemies has no impact on your Chaos level). I have only one complaint with Dishonored: the combat isn't the best. While it is fun to cut into your enemies with your blade, shoot them with your weapons, or fling them away with a blast of wind, the first-person perspective doesn't make physical combat all that graceful, although I will say that the way Corvo kills certain important targets is quite awesome. One other thing I should mention is that it's very easy to make a mistake in this game that will cause you to fail a mission. One very memorable screw up was when I knocked out a group of thugs while sneaking into their hideout, then when I returned later to talk to their leader, he attacked me and the mission failed because he found the knocked out thugs in his hideout (I was unaware that I didn't actually have to knock out the thugs when I first entered their hideout).

Thankfully, the game has one of the best save systems I've ever encountered, so if you happen to do something stupid like unintentionally kill someone you didn't mean to kill, then you can easily load a previous save and undo the mistake. The game autosaves pretty regularly and you can manually save your game at any time when outside of combat. Each time the game saves, instead of overwriting previous saves, it stores it in the game's save file so you can have multiple saves even in one mission. You can even replay completed missions from the main menu, but loading an older mission will have you lose your progress on later missions. In the end, Dishonored is more of a thinking man's (or woman's) game and rewards the patient gamer who takes the time to explore and think his way past obstacles and challenges. I like how this game actually encourages you to plan everything out and makes you consider whether to take a life or to spare one. That being said, you still have the option to go in guns blazing and go for your standard video game "killfest", but again, this will result in more enemies to deal with and a less favorable ending (although I imagine some gamers won't care one way or the other). While Dishonored isn't everyone's cup of tea and doesn't have the best combat, it is definitely one of the most interesting of all the games I've played and it has lots of replay value for those who like to see all the different ways they can complete different tasks.

This part will cover the two DLCs for Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall and its sequel The Brigmore Witches. These two DLCs let you take up the blade of Daud, the assassin who murdered the empress and kick started Corvo's adventure in the main game. The story actually begins with the player experiencing the opening scene of the main game with the empress's murder from Daud's point of view. After the deed is done, Daud is contacted by the Outsider and is sent on his final mission before he meets his fated end. Controlling Daud is, as expected, very similar to controlling Corvo and he'll be making use of a lot of the same weapons and abilities, although there are a few differences with Daud's gameplay. Like Corvo, he wields a blade in his right hand and with his left hand he can use his ranged weapons and magic abilities. Starting with The Knife of Dunwall, Daud's weapons include a wristbow (that shoots the usual normal, explosive, and sedative bolts), a pistol, grenades, and new weapons such as arc mines (which vaporizes enemies), stun mines (which knocks out enemies), and choke dust (which momentarily disorients enemies so you can attack or escape from them).

In The Brigmore Witches, the choke dust can be upgraded to baffle dust, which will have disoriented enemies forget you are there and they will go back to their regular patrols. It actually would have been nice if these new weapons had been available for Corvo in the main game since they're all quite useful when using a stealthy approach. Daud has the same Bend Time and Shadow Kill abilities as Corvo, although he lacks the Rat Swarm and Windblast abilities. Fortunately, his other abilities are improvements over Corvo's. Daud's version of Blink allows him to teleport to distant spots, but with the added benefit of freezing time as long as the player doesn't move Daud with the left stick. This allows the player to aim and time teleportations with much greater precision, even in the middle of a jump. His Void Gaze works like a combination of Corvo's Dark Vision and Heart item: it lets him see enemies and important items through walls, and also points out the locations of runes and bone charms (although it lacks the range of the Heart). Daud can also summon one of his assassins to fight alongside him for a time. In The Brigmore Witches, Daud gains the Pull ability, which lets him telekinetically pull items and even enemies towards him. This ability can be very handy in pick pocketing enemies or grabbing other important items from a safe vantage point.

Between missions, Daud can buy more ammunition and recovery items, as well as upgrades to his weapons and gadgets. He can even purchase favors from his assassins and paid contacts that have certain effects on his missions. These favors include runes being left in easier to find locations, safe combinations being etched on walls, and alternate entry points being opened up. Another addition in The Brigmore Witches are corrupted bone charms, which offer both advantages and disadvantages to Daud's performance. One lets Daud do more damage to his enemies with his blade, but also has him swing his blade more slowly, and another one has Daud lose mana instead of health when suffering damage from enemy attacks, but it also keeps him from regenerating his mana. Just like in the main game, Chaos plays a role in changing up the gameplay and the story's ending, but to a somewhat lesser degree than the main game. The player can make Daud carve his way past all his enemies, knock them all out for a no-kill playthrough, or anything in between (although Daud going the fully non-lethal route doesn't make that much sense to me from a story perspective since, unlike the silent protagonist Corvo, Daud has already been established as a ruthless assassin in the main game).

Most of the enemies are basically the same as the ones in the main game, except for three new enemies: the tough butchers who wield powered buzz saws that can kill you quickly if you're not careful, witches with deadly supernatural powers, and gravehounds that relentlessly attack you until they're completely pulverized. The stories for the DLCs are also quite interesting and add a further layer of depth to the tale of Dishonored, all from a very interesting perspective. These DLCs are worth a purchase if you loved the main game of Dishonored and they add a hefty amount of extra gameplay for those who like to take their time and explore their surroundings. Aside from the great gameplay, just finding out about Daud's previously unknown role in the main game's story and seeing how his tale ties in with Corvo's makes getting these DLCs a worthy investment.
33 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 16, 2017
Took me a month to complete this game on easy since I'm not that great of a gamer. I really enjoyed​ the story and the amount of options there are to do certain missions. It's a good stealth game but I didn't really do everything stealthily which was more fun to me.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 31, 2013
I only play games when I'm away from my family, and usually play the same ones. Stumbled upon a review for Dishonored while perusing a magazine and said to my self that it sounds like a game that I would like. How wrong I was, I love it! First time through was just to see what it was all about. Playing it through again after 60 ish hours of game-play to try to complete the game without a single kill, NOT EASY! This game will definitely challenge your patience for stealth and I love every second of it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.