- Audio CD (July 19, 1999)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: Cast Recording, Import
- Label: Stell
- ASIN: B00002DFMR
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (18 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #217,343 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
Disney's Der Gloeckner Von Notre Dame (1999 German Stage Version) Cast Recording, Import
|New from||Used from|
Audio CD, Cast Recording, Import, July 19, 1999
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Now Disney's richest score has just got richer! Thanks to a 50 piece orchestra, the sound from this stage production is phenomenal! All of the old songs have been improved and added upon except for "Court of Miracles," the only song I DIDN'T like from the movie, which has been trashed - yippee!) and the new songs are all fitting as well. In particular, I love the "Hoch Uber Der Welt" song ("Top of the World") and the Act I finale, "Esmeralda."
Menken has done it again! If you even half enjoyed the music to the Hunchback movie, you must own this! Now we just have to wait for an English version so that we can understand what on Earth these people are singing! (It's not that bad, most of the time you can guess) As it is currently though, I'm learning quite a bit of German from it.
The whole tone of the show seems much darker than the movie. The gargoyles are more than just comic relief - in fact, I'm not sure if they're comic relief at all anymore.
And the ending! In the movie, where Esmeralda died, and... came back to life... followed by when Frollo... fell... off of the cathedral... the stage show has Esmeralda STAYING dead (the music is beautifully tragic) and Quasimodo going beserk and hurling Frollo from the tower, just like in the book! Thus, the stage show has a much darker, gloomier ending than the movie, which works wonders! It fits the tone of the story much better! I'm just stunned by this C.D.Read more ›
The Bells of Notre Dame(Die Glocken Notre Dames) *****
- This piece was amazing to begin with and, with the extended dialogue, still remains perfect. The choir is very powerful.
- An extended version of Frollo's part in Outhere. The lyrics are amazing and the melody is equally astounding (the gargoyles are a welcome addition, too) but there's a minor piece in the melody that oddly sounds 'happy' in contrast to the rest. Just a minor quip, though.
Out There(Draussen) *****
- Identical in every way to the original. Still excellent.
Rest And Recreation(Ein Bisschen Freude) ***
- Phoebus' theme now with sharp and witty lyrics! Fits perfectly for his character and fairly catchy, especially the end. Sadly, its a bit short.
Balancing Act(Tanz Auf Dem Seil) ****
- Intersting at first, but it grows on you. The intgration of Esmeralda's theme is seamsless and adds an amazing touch. Once again, the choral ending and the chorus is the highlight.
Topsy Turvy(Drunter Druber) ****
- The biggest improvement among the original songs! The addition of Quasimodod's 'Outhere' and the new ethnicized dance theme of Esmeralda are fantastic and the whole song now feels more upbeat and alive.
God Help The Outcasts(Helf Den Verstoss'nen) *****
- Minor additions, notably Quasimodo's duet with Esmeralda in the middle. Otherwise, identical to the original.
Top Of The World(Hoch Uber Der Welt) ****
- A great new song for Esmeralda and the Gargoyles.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
It's hard to think of anything not amazing about this listening experience. Menken's score for Hunchback was always one of the most wonderfully emotionally-complex, and its... Read morePublished 12 months ago by Sole
I saw this show twice in Berlin. It is wonderful. The music is phenomenal. I have made an extra copy, backed it up on two computers, and saved it in my cloud storage just so I... Read morePublished on May 31, 2014 by David Cederstrom
I couldn't believe I found this on here. I heard they did a production of it, did a quick internet search and viola! Amazon wins again. Read morePublished on May 8, 2013 by Jason
I purchased this CD back in December when it was being offered for 50.00 from a marketplace seller. And I do not regret paying for that price, seeing that the price has steadily... Read morePublished on July 12, 2009 by Ethernaut
If there's currently a copy being offered at a reasonable price on this product page, I'd take the opportunity and order it immediately. Read morePublished on July 7, 2009 by Leyan Sun
There's an excellent website about this show that details its history, development, and production, and it includes the lyrics in German and English and an English translation of... Read morePublished on March 30, 2007 by C. Erker
First, I'd like to dispute the notion that the cast's voices are lifeless. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Read morePublished on March 21, 2005 by Sally Wethers
There are no words to describe this fantastic musical experience. I'm listening to the CD as I write this. It's perfect. Read morePublished on July 13, 2004 by Paul Vintner