Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 16 reviews
on March 27, 2014
Released on the relatively small and now probably defunct Antilles record label , Ms. Barber's superb late November of 1991 recorded debut certainly must be her best . A brilliant showcase for a core trio of modern creative jazz masters ; Wolfgang Muthspiel (guitar) , Marc Johnson (bass) and Adam Nussbaum (drums and various percussion) . A finer modern trio can , indeed , be equaled but this assemblage handles this material with such skill and dexterity , continuity of mood and understanding , why search elsewhere .
As to the singer/pianist herself ? Her singing and voice are a matter of taste (as indicated elsewhere here) and most true . I don't think one can really be critical of the marvelous , deft , varied and lovely keyboards of Ms. Barber . Some of these songs have lyrics . Some are wordlessly vocal and still others are all instrumental .The quartet leader gives ample and copious opportunity for the various musicians to express themselves in service of the songs . Many of the tunes either start with lengthy instrumental introductions or continue long after their "born on" date (when the singing portion of the song has halted) .
I must have spun this five or six times while on the road today . Blasting the whole recording while driving about . I truly do feel , had this been an ecm recording led by any number of various female vocalists culled from that label's roster , it would be regarded as essential . Hear what I mean .
on December 16, 2013
Ok, this has happened to you as well. You buy an album you listen, you don't really care for it. You listen again, same thing. Then later, you listen and somehow, it's not the same experience for you. I won't try to explain it. Tonight, as I listened to this album for maybe the forth time over a few weeks, I got it. I really got it. Not to say that every cut is my thing, but this time, more like 90%. The short list is that I don't care for cut 3 or 5. That's it, as the rest of them are keepers for me. I noticed a lot more, the harmonics and skill of the instruments. And Mo-Fi came up a step in recreating the space width and depth in my system. If I were a rich man, then a Hell of a lot more Mo-Fi stuff would be mine!FWIW, the following paragraph was of earlier impressions of this album.
As with many performer artists, Patricia Barber has made each album unique from the others before it. I appreciate this approach, since it can encourage freshness and inspiration. A Distortion of Love is just that for me. The music is like a turn from other albums for me. The down side is that it isn't what I might normally buy or expect from her. I should have found a track or two and listened first. I am only expressing my own taste and certainly not the talent/performance of the artist. And the recording as well is what you expect from Ms. Barber, a keeper. Always 'there' acoustically, and intimate, I have nothing but praise for every Barber album that I own. In this collection, there is a randomness or chaos to the spirit of the music that sets me on edge. It is the style, done perfectly, but I am not a fan, that's all. I have listened to the album a few times, and think that it still might grow on me. Wish it does, since it is done so well, and I love her voice so much.
on October 28, 2009
I'm a musician as well as someone who adores great music, regardless of genre. I'm always on the lookout for new artists and new styles of music. But rarely am I surprised. This CD is one such time. From the very first note, I knew that I was in for a VERY rare treat! Kind of like when you stumble upon a bottle of red that renders you speechless with its complexity and sensuality. You just want to savor every last sip! What happens now is that I try to come up with words that are adequate to describe or praise Patricia Barber enough. And truthfully... there are none. Her music paints pictures you've never seen before. It tastes like the finest five-star cuisine you have ever experienced. And it caresses you like the most exquisite, passionate lover imaginable. On one hand, I want to keep Ms. Barber all to myself for fear that when everyone else finds her the inevitable will happen... fame and the big SELL-OUT. On the other hand, I want her to bathe in the praise that is most certainly, most deservedly, earned. I want her to know the success that belongs to others far less accomplished. But most of all I want to hear her grow and expand and keep making the music that only she can. So like a very fine bottle of red I will share Ms. Barber with everyone who will dare experience perfection. "A Distortion of Love" is a meritage, a blend of Patricia, Marc Johnson, Adam Nussbaum and Wolfgang Muthspiel. Producer Brian Bacchus squeezed out every succulent drop from these players, any of which stands on their own. So enough talking. Get this amazing CD. And when you do, put it on, open up that bottle of red you've been holding back, light a candle, and prepare to be moved as never before.
on June 27, 2017
Excellent!
on October 24, 2012
I got this album thanks to an audiophile review, and the spaciousness of the sound recording does indeed help draw me in.

But what brings me back to it so often is the sheer creativity. Like some of the other commenters, I listen to it more than Cafe Blue.

And, yes, that first beat is a revelation.
on December 17, 2015
Excellent in every way. I am grabbing SACDs while they are still out there.
on September 30, 2013
Probably the best Patricia Barber album in SACD. Everything is right with this album; the song selections, the presentation and also the sonic quality. Five stars all the way.
on August 17, 2015