Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 5,404 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,936 reviews
on November 14, 2016
I absolutely love this movie, not necessarily for the overall idea, but for all the details I like to see. I have autism, so details are far more important to me than concepts, and this movie does pretty much everything right. The soundtrack is flawless, the characters are consistent (which is HUGE for me), the acting is perfect, there's kissing but only at the right moments, and because of the setting, not everything is predictable. I also found the main character very easy to relate to because she is always trying to improve herself. I probably rank this in my top five favorite movies of all time, along with Fight Club, The Matrix, Home Alone, and Crank.
on March 14, 2017
This series was amazing. If you like sci-fi action movies this one is for you. Somewhat like the Hunger Games but has a better story and plot in my opinion. Also watch "Maze Runner" if you like these kinds of movies!
on May 26, 2017
This movie is okay, but like others have said, it's a Hunger Games wanna be that is slow and lacks credibility or character development. This is really a move for teenagers. I imagine the writer thinking this was making a profound statement about the world, but the movie misses the mark with too many cliches and a lack of true creativity. I'd put it in the same family as Twilight. Yawn.
on November 28, 2015
As many others have said, if you've seen the Hunger Games or any other YA dystopia sci-fi made in the last decade, this will be basically more of the same.
The story was presented too simply, with the only questions it leaves being due to its inability to properly set up its world, but acts like there's something deeper. The characters are hardly fleshed out, being sort of generic character types for most of the movie, until the screenwriters realized there needed to be character development and suddenly thrust tons of development into one or two scenes. The character relationships are not believable or even attempted to be. They're just suddenly in love one scene. The story attempts plot twists, but for anyone paying attention to any movie in the past decade will be able to figure all of it out before the movie wants you to. The villain comes out of nowhere, given two short scenes before she becomes the big bad, and has no development to lead to a believable villain. The final confrontation with the villain comes out of nowhere, suddenly the love interest tells main character of this thing happening, then they're all being mind controlled by a macguffin that comes out of nowhere, then they have to get guns and save the day.
There was nothing great in the movie, nothing wholly original or fantastic. There's one scene where Shailene Woodley acts, after seeing someone she cares about die. It was the one scene in the movie that anyone felt like they were acting, but she was really good in it, and made me realize that she is actually an actress and not just a cute young face. The fact that Loscil had some music in the movie was pretty great, too, since that dude is great and needs to be represented more.
There was also nothing offensive in the movie. Nothing in it was so bad I felt insulted, or so bad that I felt the story was trying to rip off better YA stories.
I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't tell people to avoid it. If I had paid any money for this (got it free with the Amazon Thanksgiving thing) I might care a bit more, but for now, Divergent is just kind of... there.
on March 27, 2017
This is the only Divergent series film really worth watching more than once. The other films in the series you will watch just to see what happends. But the original Divergent has some real meat to it.
on October 1, 2014
There's really no place where this movie excelled. I found the plot a little soft and obscure. There is a key concept to the movie, and how their society is arranged (I will not spoil). It gets brought up, seemingly every 10 minutes throughout the movie. I got it during the intro, thank you. Scenery and special effects are honestly a little below par for a movie these days. Acting was predictable, and probably disappointing to this well-appointed cast. I am given to understand this is the first of a trilogy. I hope they learn some lessons.
on April 6, 2015
This is one of those disks that forces viewers to watch a bunch of previews at the beginning which I suppose they all do nowadays. But I don't have to like it, and that's why I mention it. I mostly buy only digital content for this reason nowadays. I liked the movie. I had read the books, and I thought the movie did a pretty good job creating that world visually. The quality of the disk seems okay. I like that I can redeem the digital copy on iTunes and have it with me on my iPad while traveling (if I want). For the price, it could have had more and better extras, but I enjoyed all the behind-the-scenes and making-of video. I also enjoyed seeing and hearing Veronica Roth. I hadn't seen her before or known anything about her, so it was interesting to hear the things she had to say.
on March 29, 2016
Enjoying this particular movie depends on how much the viewer has in common with either of the two main characters- the more, the better (age, gender, body type, etc...). This production is built specifically for teenagers, and I say that as a fan of the Hunger Games. Here's the difference: the plot in The Hunger Games centers on correcting injustice far and succeeding in the face of loss and change. This movie, however, is more about about finding a place to fit in, how parents just don't understand, and how the young people are the only ones who really "get it." The teens (and maybe twenty-somethings) should love this movie, but beyond them, there's a bit of a disconnect. Sadly, this production got boring along the way, and I hope the next installments are better.
on September 10, 2015
I have to say this movie is a really good from start to finish. It starts off kind of slow but starts to pick up shortly after. It throws you for a loop a quiet a few times. At on point the movie jumps to nothing but excitement. This movie is action packed with a quite a few twisters. This movie is a really good at keeping my attention unlike most movies. This movie is a high pace movie.
on September 4, 2014
Good, but seems a bit close to Hunger Games. You will wonder where Donald Sutherland went. The genre (young folks fighting an evil government) is being reborn from the 60's and 70's pollution pics (Soylent Green, Silent Running, Them) where non conformers save the world. Only these few farsighted folks understand how to save the planet.

This is strictly an entertainment vehicle. There is not much thinking required. I have not read the trilogy, so I may be a bit hard on the first installment. Maybe it will develop in a sequel. And maybe that is why I had a problem with it. I have never enjoyed movies that had intentionally ambiguous endings. Either have the story stand on its own and make us want to see the next one because it is so good, rather than making us go see the next one because you want to find out what happened in the last one. Having a movie so there can be a sequel is unfair to movie goers and the industry as a whole.

While the acting was good, I think the main characters lacked depth. The development of the characters was fast and then very slow. You can probably guess where things are going (just the title should give you a clue).

The special effects are very good and integrate well in the story. I think teenagers today will identify with the leads, but overall, it seemed formula but I am happy we are finally getting strong female leads instead of the boy saving the world...