Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 7,157 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8,124 reviews
on October 12, 2014
This set includes the trilogy, along with the extra book titled, "Four". I actually recommend reading Four first. It's the comets set. My 13 year old triplet boys started reading this series in school. They couldn't stop talking about it, so I bought this series for them, and I even read it myself. It's very, very good. The movie is pretty good too; although, the books are a lot more detailed. I highly recommend this series. I would caution for younger readers as the two main characters have some heated moments. Nothing that heavy, but on the line. I wouldn't want my 8 year old reading something like that. I hope this review has been helpful for the parents out there. All in all.. Definitely a great series! A Must Read!
22 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2014
People almost universally love the first two books and I agree so I'll leave it at that. Many people hate the 3rd book for two reasons: the ending, and lack of differentiation of the two main characters. I disagree concerning the ending. It was quite complex, very human and a real commentary on war, conflict, human society and healing. I just wasn't Hollywood. I slightly agree about the two main characters not being differentiated. The narrators voice is quite similar to Tris, so when we are in Tris's head, it feels quite natural and you get lost in the character. When the narrator moves into Tobias's head, the voice doesn't shift enough, isn't distinct enough. This made it difficult to feel that you were experiencing a different character. However, this error was mitigated by the fact that the 3rd story was just as engaging, just as complex as the first two. For this reason, I remained engrossed in the story though I recognized that there was a problem with the differentiation. It just wasn't a big enough problem to separate me from the experience of the story.
on July 3, 2015
I'm only about three quarters thru the fist book, but have to admit I'm enjoying it much more than I had expected. As with most books that were adapted to film, the movie cut out some interesting stuff - Saw the first move before reading the book. I'm the kind of person who normally doesn't like to read...unless it is like 2am, then I can't stop reading. The pacing of the story is good, easy read (doesn't jump around, doesn't have clunky "stop and go" feel). Only issue I'm having with it is trying to differentiate between what I've read vs. what I saw in the film... throwing off the timeline.
The set is nicely sized (just fits height-wise on the shelf). The slip covers have nice artwork, but the'll have to be removed during reading, they are very loose fitting on the book and the books fall out rather easily.

Edit* I'd give it 4 1/2 if it was an option, but it isn't so the stars stay at 5... for now.
Okay, so now I'm just about 115 pages into the 3rd book - really enjoyed the 1st and 2nd books...but, I'm not fully enjoying the shift in writing style for the third one (the story is still good), but the author has decided to switch the POV between Tris and Four, basically gives one a chapter, switches to the other for a chapter, back and forth. It makes the flow a little murky at times - if I put the book down for a while before reading again I have to go back and see who's POV it is. Wish Roth would have just stuck with the same style as she did in the previous books. Sure it is nice to "see" what is going on with him as Tris is off doing her thing, but it doesn't have the expected flow and it kinda has a stop and go feel to it.
on October 1, 2014
I liked the first and second books and would respectively give a four and a three. That then leaves you wondering why the one star for this review. The Third book my friend it is like a lead weight that drags the omnibus down and drowns it. Toward the end of book two the trilogy begins to falter. The beginning of book three the plot clearly is limping along on a broken leg but you muddle through to the half way point where you think maybe it should be just shot to put it out of its misery. You keep going because you are almost to the end and book one and two were good right? No because the last half of book three and especially the last few chapters of book three taint your view of the entire series. Meaningless death abounds, absolutely stupid moments where people suddenly stop and go ok kinda shrug and things are resolved. I am serious one major moment is "I won't do it!" and the resolve isn't him doing something that would have been true to his character for the entire series till this very moment. No the resolve is someone tells this character "yes you will or else!" and he shrugs and says ok. That is the resolve to a major plot point!

The entire trilogy resolve is mostly summed up in the idea. "Something cool is about to happen! Ohh wait I am bored with this series so everything is over now. Then a two years later segment of, I don't really care what happened to them but my editor said I needed to add something to make the end more complete. THE END" That is the entire third book right there.

As I said the ending kills the entire series and taints it.
on March 31, 2014
Some spoilers ahead!

I'm torn. There were some things I liked about this book, but it also felt kind of anticlimactic. I was at least expecting a big epic battle to overthrow the whole system and government, especially after being disappointed when there was no epic factionless uprising. I mean, why aren't people more upset and generally PISSED OFF that their whole existence was monitored, that their whole lives and society were basically fake? Instead they just accept it. Other reviews mention several plot holes and factual errors concerning the genetics and I do agree with osme of them. Roth definitively should have done some more research in this area. As a result, there is a sort of unfinished and rushed feeling to the book.

One thing I did enjoy though, was the romance between Tris and Tobias. I was really rooting for them and so I was even more devastated when Tris died (I kept fearing for Tobias to die) and they never got to explore their relationship further in a (at least more) peaceful setting. Reading about Tobias' reaction and what followed was just heartbreaking.

That being said, to some extent I understand why she felt like she had to sacrifice herself. At the core of herself, all Tris really wanted in life was to make her parents proud of her and in the end she did. But it was also SO STUPID!!! There would have been plenty things she could have done in honour of her parents were she alive! More even. And also: never ever EVER DROP YOUR WEAPON IN THAT KIND OF SITUATION!! I mean, come on! Seriously!!

Then again, I guess it's more realistic and (this word comes difficultly, bitterly) better if the ending is not 100 % perfect with everyone surviving, being happy and generally deciding that even though they endured gut-wrenching, heartbreaking and mentally straining duress it was a good day all in all.

As a whole: I have mixed feelings.
on November 24, 2014
I admit, I'm an adult- maybe that's the problem?

I loved the hunger games. Truly. I watched the 1st movie and thought "phh, this is dumb." Total boredom compelled me to watch #2 and it got me curious, so I read that series. Adored it.

The great thing about similar story lines is it satisfies that "I want more" craving after you finish a good book series. Thus I turned to the Divergent series.

I enjoyed story #1 alright. Story #2 I started to find some flaws. Story #3 I couldn't take it anymore. For me, there is nothing worse when female writers try to write a male character but end up sounding like another female character. Don't get me wrong, I imagine this a terribly difficult thing to overcome. But as a 1st person narrative of a male, I expect to find a lot of thought processes different than my own- similar to that of what my husband or male friends might speak or say. Nope, this was total chick fest. Thinking I was being overly critical, I turned to several colleagues - also adults- who joined me in reading this series. While it didn't bother them as much as it did me, they both agreed- the author failed to capture that "this is a guy thinking" vibe. I couldn't get back into the story after that. Skipped over 2-3rd's of the book to read the last chapter just to find out what I'd miss, and am glad I didn't read the middle.

Meh. Just Meh.
on December 24, 2014
I ask that because it is critical to your choice to read the Divergent trilogy.

We each have our reasons. When I finish a book I want to feel good. If I want to feel bad about something all I have to do is turn on the news and in 30 minutes I can experience all manner of negative emotions. In my free time I prefer not to feel bad. So I read with the hope of feeling entertained and uplifted. It is escapism pure and simple. If you are like me, I strongly recommend not reading the second and third books in this trilogy.

The author is very good, there is no denying that. The characters are compelling. The storyline is intriguing, and wether you want it to or not, it will suck you in. It will make you laugh. It will make you angry, and it will make you cry.

I gave the series three stars because anything less would not be an honest evaluation of the work from a purely structural standpoint. I only gave it three stars because of the way it made me feel when I finished it. I will most likely never read another of Ms. Roth's books. That is probably not fair, but I am human and make no apologies for the pettiness of lashing out at an author who makes me feel something I don't want to feel. A significant amount of time was invested into reading the collection, and my chief emotions at the end of it all are sorrow, and anger.

I cannot go into details without spoiling the story, and frankly I have probably said too much already.

As I stated above it goes back to your reason for reading. If you like "happily ever after"please do not begin reading.
on April 1, 2015
Okay. A lot of people are staying that they didn't understand the conflict or the reason that Roth had Tris die. It doesn't matter if you didn't understand. That it'd what happened in the story. Also, if you read this series, you are reading OUT of the comfort zone of most book reading. It is a given. Some people are saying that they didn't understand the point of view. Well, it is simple. One: how was she supposed to have Tris die aft the end if she was the only point of view in first person? That would have been the end if the series. Two: there are other books where the whole series is tottering between characters in each chapter. If your mind is too elementary to understand this switch, maybe you shouldn't have been reading in the first place!!! Three: done are saying that the romance got cheesy, but the reason for this is because we are in Tobias' mind half the time, and you expected him to be a rock-hard man with rock-hard thoughts. I respect how Roth made his thoughts realistic.
on April 9, 2017
I had never heard of these books and accidentally watched Insurgent the movie one day and thought it was kind of weird and confusing. Later I learned that it was actually a trilogy and I had watched the second one first and had no background/basis for any of the story. I am one who likes the books 99.9% of the time so I decided to go ahead and buy this series so I could read it and I did in 2 days (all 3 books plus the Four mini books).

Divergent - Like many others, I really enjoyed this book and loved the world that Roth created with all the character background. I feel like I need to go into a ton of detail since I'm late to the party and a lot of people already have. I totally bought into the romance between Tris and Tobias/Four (enigmatic, strong, but broken young man attempting to be courageous and try to save others, including those who hurt him).

Four - I really liked this addition, it's probably my second favorite of the 4 'books'. Since I am a girl, I don't know how men think inside their heads, but I really enjoyed the prequel and additional explanation of the world - faction, initiation, why Eric and Four didn't get a long and their initiation class, etc.

Insurgent - The book was interesting, but I still liked Divergent best. It did hold my interest and I continued to read it even though I did get annoyed with some of the characters. I liked learning that there were more divergents and that there were brave people attempting to infiltrate the Erudites/rebel-Dauntless and fight for 'freedom' or order in their world. Tris was a guilt-ridden teenager who kept it in instead of talking about it with others which is what I would have done, but I supposed she has learned to be more introverted from her upbringing.

Allegiant - Honestly, I was not a huge fan. I thought it was a let down experience after this world was created and built up only to have it be a complete fabrication and something that could be 'reset'. It would have been cool for them to go outside the wall and had the fringe people come back and fight with them or something of that sort, but just having this all powerful government in the ORD airport was really weird. I just couldn't get into it. Also, knowing there were other cities that weren't 'experiments' allowing them to just do these huge experiments on thousands of people didn't sound plausible. Even though Four got all weird and kind of pathetic in the middle of the book, I still hated him hurting so badly at the end. I did like that Roth added some parts about love, that Tris realized she chose him and chose to love him no matter what and they chose each other through the good and bad times. I did not understand why Tobias would ask for Tris' opinion and then not even care what she said, but also, she should have worked on her explanations and been more open with him also - perhaps I'm expecting too much of 2 teenagers that have been traumatized and probably have PTSD.

Overall, I just got them a week ago and I read all of them in the first 2 days (hard to do working full time and having 2 babies but I hate not knowing what happens... then after Allegiant I was like meh... I guess I kept hoping that it would get better but then it was over and I felt kind of empty/unsatisfied with the ending/how their world was utterly destroyed and made into something fictional even in it's own book. Since I finished I read Roth's blog on why she ended it the way she did and I understand why she had Tris' part the way it was, but I still think their world could have been built up more instead of suddenly becoming an 'experiment' and being confusing. I feel like it was like the Truman Show but nobody was flipping out other than Four about it (and his lack of real divergence which was weird too) and if my whole world was a hoax, I think I would have had needed some serious time to figure out how I felt about it all.

After I read other's reviews, watched the movies in order, I re-read Divergent and Four and I still like them, but I would probably not read Allegiant again since it kind of ruins the whole experience for me as it tears their whole world apart and doesn't really feel 'finished' when the book is over. Something would have happened to the people running the experiment, they couldn't have been the only ones who were concerned about pure/damaged genes since someone obviously was funding the project. Confusing and inconclusive but I'll probably re-read Divergent and Four again... possibly Insurgent but avoid Allegiant.

I liked Allegiant the movie better than the book, Four still was manly and determined to save everyone. I did like the Divergent book better than the movie. I can't really decide which version of Insurgent I like better, but I felt like the movie was kind of confusing, especially if you had no background from the first movie/had not read the books.

They should definitely make a Four movie though featuring Theo James, he was a great Four character.
on August 20, 2014
(SPOILER FREE, as much as possible) Where to begin …

I really enjoyed the first book, liked the second well enough, but the series fell flat in the third installment.

DIVERGENT (5 STARS) The first book is interesting and the character development strong. I enjoyed all of the characters, even the more despicable ones, as the author did a great job of making dynamic primary and secondary characters. The world she built is interesting, and felt real and alive. I loved seeing the growth of the characters as the new experiences broadened their horizons. The ending was fast paced and poignant. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it, but…

INSURGENT (4 STARS) I enjoyed the second book, but not as much as the first. We are introduced to more of the factions and begin to get a stronger feel for the strengths and weaknesses of each faction, as well as the faction system itself. Seeing more of this broken world was fascinating. I became frustrated with the Tris and Four, but still enjoyed their journey. The end, though good, left me feeling like "haven't we done this before?". The world crumbles, where to go next. I enjoyed the second book, but …

ALLEGIANT (2 STARS) I agree with every review regarding the POV. I have read a number of books in which the point of view switches in order to get a broader picture of the conflicts and situations at hand. Most succeed. Roth did not. Tris and Four sound so similar that it was difficult to remember which was narrating. The plot itself was ok, but I expected more … well, just more. The plot becomes ridiculously complex, while at the same time under-explored. And the introduction of so many new characters, settings, etc. distract greatly from the development of our now robotic main characters. Whatever growth of character we found in the first book and, to a lesser degree, in the second, is completely absent in the third installment. The strong characters we know and love have been replaced by shadows of their former selves. We see an abundance of weaknesses, with very little growth. I was disappointed in the ending. It left me feeling flat. It drags what could have been a memorable series into the realm of mediocrity. I had read reviews warning me not to read the third installment, and I wish that I had heeded those warnings.