Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 7,171 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8,141 reviews
on October 12, 2014
This set includes the trilogy, along with the extra book titled, "Four". I actually recommend reading Four first. It's the comets set. My 13 year old triplet boys started reading this series in school. They couldn't stop talking about it, so I bought this series for them, and I even read it myself. It's very, very good. The movie is pretty good too; although, the books are a lot more detailed. I highly recommend this series. I would caution for younger readers as the two main characters have some heated moments. Nothing that heavy, but on the line. I wouldn't want my 8 year old reading something like that. I hope this review has been helpful for the parents out there. All in all.. Definitely a great series! A Must Read!
22 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2014
People almost universally love the first two books and I agree so I'll leave it at that. Many people hate the 3rd book for two reasons: the ending, and lack of differentiation of the two main characters. I disagree concerning the ending. It was quite complex, very human and a real commentary on war, conflict, human society and healing. I just wasn't Hollywood. I slightly agree about the two main characters not being differentiated. The narrators voice is quite similar to Tris, so when we are in Tris's head, it feels quite natural and you get lost in the character. When the narrator moves into Tobias's head, the voice doesn't shift enough, isn't distinct enough. This made it difficult to feel that you were experiencing a different character. However, this error was mitigated by the fact that the 3rd story was just as engaging, just as complex as the first two. For this reason, I remained engrossed in the story though I recognized that there was a problem with the differentiation. It just wasn't a big enough problem to separate me from the experience of the story.
on March 31, 2014
Some spoilers ahead!

I'm torn. There were some things I liked about this book, but it also felt kind of anticlimactic. I was at least expecting a big epic battle to overthrow the whole system and government, especially after being disappointed when there was no epic factionless uprising. I mean, why aren't people more upset and generally PISSED OFF that their whole existence was monitored, that their whole lives and society were basically fake? Instead they just accept it. Other reviews mention several plot holes and factual errors concerning the genetics and I do agree with osme of them. Roth definitively should have done some more research in this area. As a result, there is a sort of unfinished and rushed feeling to the book.

One thing I did enjoy though, was the romance between Tris and Tobias. I was really rooting for them and so I was even more devastated when Tris died (I kept fearing for Tobias to die) and they never got to explore their relationship further in a (at least more) peaceful setting. Reading about Tobias' reaction and what followed was just heartbreaking.

That being said, to some extent I understand why she felt like she had to sacrifice herself. At the core of herself, all Tris really wanted in life was to make her parents proud of her and in the end she did. But it was also SO STUPID!!! There would have been plenty things she could have done in honour of her parents were she alive! More even. And also: never ever EVER DROP YOUR WEAPON IN THAT KIND OF SITUATION!! I mean, come on! Seriously!!

Then again, I guess it's more realistic and (this word comes difficultly, bitterly) better if the ending is not 100 % perfect with everyone surviving, being happy and generally deciding that even though they endured gut-wrenching, heartbreaking and mentally straining duress it was a good day all in all.

As a whole: I have mixed feelings.
on April 9, 2017
I had never heard of these books and accidentally watched Insurgent the movie one day and thought it was kind of weird and confusing. Later I learned that it was actually a trilogy and I had watched the second one first and had no background/basis for any of the story. I am one who likes the books 99.9% of the time so I decided to go ahead and buy this series so I could read it and I did in 2 days (all 3 books plus the Four mini books).

Divergent - Like many others, I really enjoyed this book and loved the world that Roth created with all the character background. I feel like I need to go into a ton of detail since I'm late to the party and a lot of people already have. I totally bought into the romance between Tris and Tobias/Four (enigmatic, strong, but broken young man attempting to be courageous and try to save others, including those who hurt him).

Four - I really liked this addition, it's probably my second favorite of the 4 'books'. Since I am a girl, I don't know how men think inside their heads, but I really enjoyed the prequel and additional explanation of the world - faction, initiation, why Eric and Four didn't get a long and their initiation class, etc.

Insurgent - The book was interesting, but I still liked Divergent best. It did hold my interest and I continued to read it even though I did get annoyed with some of the characters. I liked learning that there were more divergents and that there were brave people attempting to infiltrate the Erudites/rebel-Dauntless and fight for 'freedom' or order in their world. Tris was a guilt-ridden teenager who kept it in instead of talking about it with others which is what I would have done, but I supposed she has learned to be more introverted from her upbringing.

Allegiant - Honestly, I was not a huge fan. I thought it was a let down experience after this world was created and built up only to have it be a complete fabrication and something that could be 'reset'. It would have been cool for them to go outside the wall and had the fringe people come back and fight with them or something of that sort, but just having this all powerful government in the ORD airport was really weird. I just couldn't get into it. Also, knowing there were other cities that weren't 'experiments' allowing them to just do these huge experiments on thousands of people didn't sound plausible. Even though Four got all weird and kind of pathetic in the middle of the book, I still hated him hurting so badly at the end. I did like that Roth added some parts about love, that Tris realized she chose him and chose to love him no matter what and they chose each other through the good and bad times. I did not understand why Tobias would ask for Tris' opinion and then not even care what she said, but also, she should have worked on her explanations and been more open with him also - perhaps I'm expecting too much of 2 teenagers that have been traumatized and probably have PTSD.

Overall, I just got them a week ago and I read all of them in the first 2 days (hard to do working full time and having 2 babies but I hate not knowing what happens... then after Allegiant I was like meh... I guess I kept hoping that it would get better but then it was over and I felt kind of empty/unsatisfied with the ending/how their world was utterly destroyed and made into something fictional even in it's own book. Since I finished I read Roth's blog on why she ended it the way she did and I understand why she had Tris' part the way it was, but I still think their world could have been built up more instead of suddenly becoming an 'experiment' and being confusing. I feel like it was like the Truman Show but nobody was flipping out other than Four about it (and his lack of real divergence which was weird too) and if my whole world was a hoax, I think I would have had needed some serious time to figure out how I felt about it all.

After I read other's reviews, watched the movies in order, I re-read Divergent and Four and I still like them, but I would probably not read Allegiant again since it kind of ruins the whole experience for me as it tears their whole world apart and doesn't really feel 'finished' when the book is over. Something would have happened to the people running the experiment, they couldn't have been the only ones who were concerned about pure/damaged genes since someone obviously was funding the project. Confusing and inconclusive but I'll probably re-read Divergent and Four again... possibly Insurgent but avoid Allegiant.

I liked Allegiant the movie better than the book, Four still was manly and determined to save everyone. I did like the Divergent book better than the movie. I can't really decide which version of Insurgent I like better, but I felt like the movie was kind of confusing, especially if you had no background from the first movie/had not read the books.

They should definitely make a Four movie though featuring Theo James, he was a great Four character.
on August 20, 2014
(SPOILER FREE, as much as possible) Where to begin …

I really enjoyed the first book, liked the second well enough, but the series fell flat in the third installment.

DIVERGENT (5 STARS) The first book is interesting and the character development strong. I enjoyed all of the characters, even the more despicable ones, as the author did a great job of making dynamic primary and secondary characters. The world she built is interesting, and felt real and alive. I loved seeing the growth of the characters as the new experiences broadened their horizons. The ending was fast paced and poignant. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it, but…

INSURGENT (4 STARS) I enjoyed the second book, but not as much as the first. We are introduced to more of the factions and begin to get a stronger feel for the strengths and weaknesses of each faction, as well as the faction system itself. Seeing more of this broken world was fascinating. I became frustrated with the Tris and Four, but still enjoyed their journey. The end, though good, left me feeling like "haven't we done this before?". The world crumbles, where to go next. I enjoyed the second book, but …

ALLEGIANT (2 STARS) I agree with every review regarding the POV. I have read a number of books in which the point of view switches in order to get a broader picture of the conflicts and situations at hand. Most succeed. Roth did not. Tris and Four sound so similar that it was difficult to remember which was narrating. The plot itself was ok, but I expected more … well, just more. The plot becomes ridiculously complex, while at the same time under-explored. And the introduction of so many new characters, settings, etc. distract greatly from the development of our now robotic main characters. Whatever growth of character we found in the first book and, to a lesser degree, in the second, is completely absent in the third installment. The strong characters we know and love have been replaced by shadows of their former selves. We see an abundance of weaknesses, with very little growth. I was disappointed in the ending. It left me feeling flat. It drags what could have been a memorable series into the realm of mediocrity. I had read reviews warning me not to read the third installment, and I wish that I had heeded those warnings.
on June 11, 2014
I liked Divergent. It had potential. It was interesting, suspenseful, sappy. A good start to a good series. I knew it wouldn't be like my favorite series but I felt I would miss the world and characters when it was over.

Insurgent was a disaster for me. A ruined series at this point. Tris was annoying as heck and she stressed me out cause she was stupid and I got really bored of the constant action. It got mundane and repetitive. Hated insurgent. I read it as fast as I could to get it over and done with. The characters didn't get developed as well as I thought they could have and story line was weak list in a billion other side plots. And it got to the point I was trying to remember who everyone was and what everything stood for that I couldn't pay attention anyways to the story or lack there of. It was a book needed to link the 3rd book to divergent but totally could have linked them in 10 chapters.

I actually really like Allegient. The ending surprised me and I was actually upset what happened to Tris. It wasn't suppose to end that way. Yet when all was said and done it ended good. I couldn't picture Tris and Tobias settling down with a normal life and heading up the rebuilding of Chicago. I was upset they didn't get to be together but I really liked the Epilogue.

I gave this trilogy a three stars because I give 1 and a half stars to Divergent and 1 and a half stars to Allegent but none to Insurgent. If I could give a half star to Insurgent I might just cause of the connection but I hated that book. I won't be reading the series again just to avoid that book but I will see the movies. Just for curiosity and that I like the two books. Not that I usually read series again anyways. Three and a half stars is my final answer.
on June 18, 2015
These books were amazing! I just could not get enough of them. I also purchased the book, Four (purchased separately and highly recommend to add to this collection), to continue this amazing journey with these characters. The pace of the story was perfect. I didn't feel like I was dragging through any parts of the books.
I purchased the hardbound, boxed set of this trilogy. My only negative comment about this purchase has to do with how the books arrived. The top of the outer box came with some damage that was very disappointing to me. I take great care of my books and this was a major bummer. Other than that, I think that many people will enjoy this series. You won't want to put these books down.
review image
on September 13, 2016
I read that the author originally started writing this from Fours point of view. But then decided she wanted a female lead. When I saw the first movie i of course rushed out and bought this set. I tend to do that.

The books almost always give so much more than the movies and these are true to that. I do have to saw the visuala in the movies are very good. And the books did not ruin the movies!

I woukd suggest read Divergent, then Four before continuing on to Insurgent. Four gives you so much more to the Divergent and doesnt go past its time line. I think it would have turned out well being from Fours perspective but the author was probably right in deciding to create it from Triss's. I usually read series I love more than once. This one I have only read once because it really got to me at the end. I do get invested into the characters when I read, but the end of this series really got to me. I highly recommend this set!
review image
on April 22, 2017
The books and story are pretty good. I definitely didn't expect to end the way it did, but it's good that it wasn't typical.

*Slight spoiler* One thing I did not like about this series is the over dramaticness of Tris and Four's relationship. I get it, all couples fight, but I feel that some of their behavior was a bit petty. Many of their fights could havr been avoided if they were more straight forward and open about things. This is just my opinion/taste in books.
on June 26, 2015
I can honestly say this this is one of my favorite series!! The mix of enthusiasm, unexpected actions, twists, turns, and love come together to create a story SO worth reading! As an8th grade teacher, MANY of my young female students walked around reading this book this year. I was drawn in by the movie and decided to read the books before the movies continued further. I am happy that I read them as the female protagonist offers readers a heroine worth emulating.

SPOILERS AHEAD..................

I am saddened by the outcome of Allegiant. Although it is Roth's prerogative what to do with her characters, my heart aches for the loss of Tris - especially as Tobis had just accepted and vocalized to Johanna that he had found something in this new world of his worth living for. After days of mulling it over, I understand that Tris's existence in the books changed many of the characters in a positive way. Similarly, her character is one that readers can embrace and, even though she dies, ultimately learn from in the end. I can't say that I am as in love with his outcome as I would have been if Tris had lived, but I understand Roth's motivation to create a character that has a lasting impact.

Also, I appreciate the Four collection of novellas! Loved hearing the story from his perspective! It was nice to return to him after my sadness with Allegiant.

I wish I didn't read them so fast! Not sure if I will ever go back to them, as I have books in the past; these are worth reading!