Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

44,507
Divergent / Insurgent / Allegiant
Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 12, 2014
This set includes the trilogy, along with the extra book titled, "Four". I actually recommend reading Four first. It's the comets set. My 13 year old triplet boys started reading this series in school. They couldn't stop talking about it, so I bought this series for them, and I even read it myself. It's very, very good. The movie is pretty good too; although, the books are a lot more detailed. I highly recommend this series. I would caution for younger readers as the two main characters have some heated moments. Nothing that heavy, but on the line. I wouldn't want my 8 year old reading something like that. I hope this review has been helpful for the parents out there. All in all.. Definitely a great series! A Must Read!
22 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2015
This book continues where Divergent ended, fortunately I bought this book as part of the three book trilogy so as soon as I finished the first, I could keep on reading this one. As unrest rises between the different factions, war seems inevitable. We find Tris trying to save those she cares for, trying to come to terms with herself, with being divergent, and what that actually means. We find out more about the factionless, who they are, how they have been surviving, where they came from. Tris is even reunited with former Dauntless indicate friends who were forced out, or left for one reason or another in book one.

Gradually some secrets come to light while others unravel before our very eyes, you will find yourself once again unable to stop reading until the very end, eager to start the next (and the last) book of this trilogy. I know I'm starting to be vague, but I try not to leave spoilers when I can help it by not disclosing anything more than the descriptions would have told you, with the exception of my thoughts regarding the book, I guess it's like a teaser since you have to read the book to know what I mean, sorry in advance for that. 😇.

Characters continue to grow and develop, some contrary to their normally established behavior from the first book, I'm exactly sure if that's because they were putting up a brave front in the first book or because the author forgot her original character blueprint when she created them. Unfortunately finding out will have to wait till the next book to know for sure. Great hook if it is one. While I would still recommend it to others, it wouldn't be as strongly as the first. Minus one star for various inconsistencies between this book and the first [Not related to character growth].

While most readers gave One - Four stars, the way I rate what I read is to Start with Five and deduct from there. I found this Book with only one of the usual reasons I deduct stars [as mentioned in my review below], to date, I've only given a total of Six 1 Star reviews, this won't be one of them, however it also won't be one of the many Five Stars either, I give it Four Stars.

NOTE: I purchased this book as part of the "The Divergent Series [Complete Collection] Bundle." It's the Perfect way to not only have the completed Trilogy in one place, but will save you money in the long run as well. A portion of this review is also at the Kindle Store's Complete Trilogy page as well.
on January 21, 2017
This book is the first in a popular dystopian young adult trilogy. Dystopian societies are not my favorite setting. I had read very little about the series, so for me it was interesting to gradually realize that the described crumbling world was Chicago. The story begins with our heroine at 16 making a momentous choice of her faction. It has elements of The Hunger Games with young people fighting to the death and malevolent political powers. The violence is unrelenting. The picture of humanity is repellant with our heroes and heroines hard to admire. Obviously, no one would want to live in this world. The dominant character trait of each faction (truthfulness, fearless bravery, selflessness, studiousness, etc.) is carried to extremes. At those extremes, the traits become perverted, cruel, and unbalanced. The society certainly seems beyond redemption. Our divergent heroes are not much more balanced than the faction members since they have been so damaged by the society in which they were raised. There is some romance among the teenagers, but it is of a chaste and innocent variety. They are more timid with sex than with brutality. Katness Everdeen is a more interesting and more sympathetic character than Beatrice. Because the bulk of this book was so violent with little in the way of strategic thinking, grace, or kindness, I am less inclined to read on in the series. Nevertheless, congratulations are due to Ms. Roth for writing such a successful book at such a young age. I am not her target audience so perhaps it is not surprising that the book did not capture me.
on September 23, 2015
Insurgent

The novel picks up where the last novel, Divergent, leaves off, but as another reviewer pointed it, it's as if you've discovered an entirely different person as Tris was portrayed in the first novel!

The Tris in Divergent is a girl on the cusp of womanhood, growing up in an Amish-type group called Abnegation and they have very severe laws of behavior.

Through a rite that looks suspiciously like Harry Potter's Sorting Hat ceremony, she goes to Dauntless, the military-style faction in post-Apocalypse Chicago.

Anyway, Insurgent does not stand on its own. You have to read the first before reading the second. The second does little to catch the reader up so if you're new to the series you're about as screwed as Will was under simulation – but I digress!

Comments:

I like the world Veronica Roth built, but not how she wrote it. She dives so much into the teenage angst of Tris, and what she thinks about certain things, her fear of being a liar, deceiving all her friends and having a major guilt trip during the first 300 pages of the novel.

When I finally reached (struggled is more the term) near the end with the confrontation with Jeanine, the conversion of Peter (a religious angle? Nah!) and a convoluted ending, well let's just say I was not rewarded by what I read.

Book to Movie: This is not a review of the movie, but I did like the movie better than the book. That's like saying I liked spinach better than liver.

The movie cuts to the chase and leaves out all the teenage angst nonsense, and brings the ending to a fast conclusion (changing Roth's plot liberally). But with speed it loses its interest, and so it too is not really worth the time.

Conclusion:

Divergent is a novel that is very derivative of other Young Adult novels of a similar genre. The author must have read Hunger Games and Harry Potter and morphed them into a dystopian novel of sorts.

I could have worked regardless. Unfortunately the Tris character being changed from a tough as nails warrior to a whiny, suicidal teenager was too much to bear.

Not recommended!
on October 10, 2014
Originally posted on my blog: Tangled Up In Books

Insurgent picks up exactly where we leave off in Divergent and from there the roller coaster ride begins. Friends become enemies, enemies become allies. Lines are drawn, lines are crossed. The major thing I've discovered now that I'm two books in and sitting here nervously eyeing Allegiant is if you ever feel like you know what's going to happen next or whether that character sitting there smiling sweetly at you is for sure friend or foe, 3/4 of the time you're most likely wrong. Well at least that was the case for me. This one was packed full of surprises. The number of times I stared at the page wondering, sometimes aloud, just what in the hell is going on I couldn't count on one hand. The heart pounding intensity was just as strong in this one as it was for me in Divergent. I think the only difference would be that there was a darker tone here. One thing was for sure, there is no case of the sophomore slump here.

In the first book I came out of it feeling like up to that point I really only had a strong grasp on two of the factions and a partial on a third, though by the end of this one I feel like I have a better grasp on all five. Each one of the factions absolutely fascinates me. I love learning new things about them and seeing how they operate. I also started to see that it is true what's been said before that not one faction itself is bad. There's going to be good and evil within each one. Though I still feel like some of them have the scales tilted just a bit more towards evil than the others...

It's quite easy to become attached to most of these characters. I only say most because there are quite a few I would gladly put a bullet in their head with no remorse whatsoever. They are all so full of depth and they're part of what intrigues me so much about the different factions. Each person really embodies the personality of their chosen faction. It's so hard when characters are so likable, especially in a book such as this one. People are going to die. People are going to betray one another. Some of those deaths and betrayals hit me really hard. One in particularly I am steel reeling over.

Tris had me in a big spiral of emotions through basically the entirety of this book. Actions taken at the end of Divergent completely flipped her world upside down. It was hard to read and watch her go through the guilt and blame taking on top of all the other heartache she was going through and slowly sink inside of herself. It was frustrating and hurt to watch her go from this total ass kicking girl from book one to a shell of what she once was with a nonexistent self worth, yet still being able to see small sparks of her old self trying to break through.

If going from book one to book two is any indication of what I have in store for me next I am both excited and nervous to see what comes next and ends the series. The ratings are all over the place from one star to five and that honestly terrifies me. I fell in love with Divergent and Insurgent just deepened it for me. I don't have the best track record for being happy with series enders but I'm hoping and praying that it won't let me down. Please...please...please... *Crosses self* I'm going in...
on February 12, 2017
The premise and world-building are flimsy, the plot has got some pretty glaring holes in it, and while the characters themselves are somewhat run-of-the-mill, it's the character arc that really captured my attention and made it an enjoyable read. I find a lot of main characters, particularly females, are encouraged to find compassion and forgiveness even for their hateful enemies. (Think of all the times you read some version of "I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy" and couldn't quite relate to that sentiment). I think authors are afraid not giving them those qualities would make them less likeable and be openly criticized for their lack of compassion. But Tris's arc is the opposite. She was born into a world of humility and selflessness but doesn't feel like she can live up to that, so she chooses instead a world of bravery, recklessness, and physicality. Sometimes she feels annoyed by weakness and so enraged by bullies that she wants to physically lash out, and in her new faction, she's allowed to feel that way, even encouraged to. She pushes her limits and learns a different perspective. She tries to purge some of the self-deprecating values in favor of confidence and self-esteem but learns it's not that easy to change everything you ever knew. Ultimately she realizes she doesn't naturally fit in to her new faction either. And, as usual, what makes her different saves the world... or in this case the lives in her old faction and the psyches of those in her new one.
on March 28, 2014
The Divergent Series appears to be new mythology in the making, an important dilemma rising to consciousness . . . how to fit into the modern world if you can't just do what your parents did - which has been the human way for thousands perhaps millions of years. Now days careers may last less time than required to pay back student loans!

As important as that is, Roth's writing is unconscious as yet, and after a good beginning in the first novel, she loses focus, her energetic and competent heroine wishes it would all just go away, hiding every chance she gets, diving into physical romantic moments when she should be planning or running for her life, refusing to ever pick up a gun again, and getting her friends killed at such a rate that as one reviewer noted, one wonders if anyone will be left alive at the end. Roth's switch to an "experiment" instead of reality importantly reflects the difficulty of young people today (or anyone for that matter) perceiving reality in a world that changes as fast as the Erudite Sims. So the author gets lost in the problem she has uncovered, fooled by her own Sim, unable to emulate her heroine.

I believe this is immaturity. Roth is still very young, has a following, and might become a great author. Or a hack. Time will tell, and I wish her luck. I will not be reading the 3rd book. My low rating, though, is intended not only to warn readers but to provide needed feedback to the author in the heady sea of success she must be reveling in with a movie and all, not necessarily to discourage. Becoming an author is a good choice for anyone who cannot decide on a practical career (i.e. faction), and is somewhat like Dauntless or Erudite in that few people really succeed at it. So I suspect the story is personal. Maybe next we'll get a series about a heroine that enjoys unexpected heady success?
on December 24, 2014
I ask that because it is critical to your choice to read the Divergent trilogy.

We each have our reasons. When I finish a book I want to feel good. If I want to feel bad about something all I have to do is turn on the news and in 30 minutes I can experience all manner of negative emotions. In my free time I prefer not to feel bad. So I read with the hope of feeling entertained and uplifted. It is escapism pure and simple. If you are like me, I strongly recommend not reading the second and third books in this trilogy.

The author is very good, there is no denying that. The characters are compelling. The storyline is intriguing, and wether you want it to or not, it will suck you in. It will make you laugh. It will make you angry, and it will make you cry.

I gave the series three stars because anything less would not be an honest evaluation of the work from a purely structural standpoint. I only gave it three stars because of the way it made me feel when I finished it. I will most likely never read another of Ms. Roth's books. That is probably not fair, but I am human and make no apologies for the pettiness of lashing out at an author who makes me feel something I don't want to feel. A significant amount of time was invested into reading the collection, and my chief emotions at the end of it all are sorrow, and anger.

I cannot go into details without spoiling the story, and frankly I have probably said too much already.

As I stated above it goes back to your reason for reading. If you like "happily ever after"please do not begin reading.
on November 24, 2014
I admit, I'm an adult- maybe that's the problem?

I loved the hunger games. Truly. I watched the 1st movie and thought "phh, this is dumb." Total boredom compelled me to watch #2 and it got me curious, so I read that series. Adored it.

The great thing about similar story lines is it satisfies that "I want more" craving after you finish a good book series. Thus I turned to the Divergent series.

I enjoyed story #1 alright. Story #2 I started to find some flaws. Story #3 I couldn't take it anymore. For me, there is nothing worse when female writers try to write a male character but end up sounding like another female character. Don't get me wrong, I imagine this a terribly difficult thing to overcome. But as a 1st person narrative of a male, I expect to find a lot of thought processes different than my own- similar to that of what my husband or male friends might speak or say. Nope, this was total chick fest. Thinking I was being overly critical, I turned to several colleagues - also adults- who joined me in reading this series. While it didn't bother them as much as it did me, they both agreed- the author failed to capture that "this is a guy thinking" vibe. I couldn't get back into the story after that. Skipped over 2-3rd's of the book to read the last chapter just to find out what I'd miss, and am glad I didn't read the middle.

Meh. Just Meh.
on July 16, 2014
About half-way through this book, I just had to give it up. I love YA literature (especially Harry Potter and The Hunger Games), but I did not like this book at all. There was way too much senseless, pointless violence for my taste, and I couldn't bring myself to identify with or even like the narrator. (You know, there are narrators that you love to hate which is fine, but an unlikable narrator that the author intended to be likable is just miserable to read about.) I hate to give up on a book that so many people love, but I just couldn't bring myself to waste the time that it would take to finish this one. Bleh.