BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

44,557
Divergent / Insurgent / Allegiant
Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 12, 2014
This set includes the trilogy, along with the extra book titled, "Four". I actually recommend reading Four first. It's the comets set. My 13 year old triplet boys started reading this series in school. They couldn't stop talking about it, so I bought this series for them, and I even read it myself. It's very, very good. The movie is pretty good too; although, the books are a lot more detailed. I highly recommend this series. I would caution for younger readers as the two main characters have some heated moments. Nothing that heavy, but on the line. I wouldn't want my 8 year old reading something like that. I hope this review has been helpful for the parents out there. All in all.. Definitely a great series! A Must Read!
22 comments| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2015
I got finished this book. Kaboom, that was a mind blowing ending. For those of you that didn’t enjoy Insurgent as much as the first, I get you. Those of you that stuck it out know exactly what I am talking about. I must start the sequel immediately! I just wanted to write this review, while I am still reeling from this.

This book starts off right where Divergent left us, with Tris and Tobias being joined by the rest of Abnegation. They are all wanted now, so they must find a safe place. They first go to Amity faction to find shelter, and hopefully allies. Half of Dauntless joins them there. Tempers don’t fare so well in peace loving Amity communities, so they move on to Candor. I can’t reveal too much else, just know that there is a lot of scene changing in this book. Simulations stick out in my mind, Tris and Four aren’t always perfectly matched and there is some angst there, bad guy(s) from the first book reemerge, and the secrets revealed really make this book worth reading.

I struggled with parts of this story. Like, second book syndrome reared it’s ugly head. I found a part around chapter 28ish where I thought the book should be wrapping up, and then it didn’t. In my narrow thinking, I imagined that was the climax. I was thinking, how many lives does Tris have, exactly? I was just telling my daughter this morning that I am so done with the whole series as soon as I finish the last two chapters. I can’t stomach Tris throwing herself into danger one. more. time. Then the biggest secret is revealed in those last two chapters, and now I just want to go back and read it again. I am sure I missed something there.

The author is some sort of mad genius for making us wait this whole book to reveal that. It was hinted at, sure, but I really didn’t guess where it was going to lead us. This book really paints the other factions and the underestimated Factionless so we can understand their roles and the way that they live. Tris’ testing results for three factions, (Erudite, Abnegation, and Dauntless) starts to make sense. Her relationship with Four is slowly building and she learns so much more about him and his relationship to his parents. The next book has a lot of loose ends to tie up. I can’t wait to get to it.

I have to take it down a bit because there was some dragging out in this book. The issues Tris and Four have with being honest with each other just bothered me. I don’t need this angst in the middle of all the other things going on in this story. I am hoping the movie will have better pacing. I would still recommend this to fans of the first book.
on May 25, 2014
seriously, get some new ideas. are there no writers out there anymore with original thoughts?
lets see - chapter one - children of a certain age are divided into 4 different groups...hmm, how ever did they manage to do this without a sorting hat? children then learn the art of combat and later turn out to be pawns in the political wars of corrupt leaders...I feel like I've read this before - but wasn't the corrupt leader named Snow?
Awful. had to force myself to finish. will not reader the rest of the series. gag.
on April 28, 2014
Setting the Scene – Insurgent starts with a bit of quiet after the storm that had Tobias aka Four and Tris running for their lives in the wake of the Erudite initiated, Dauntless executed massacre in the Abnegation district. Their hope for a little peace and quiet in with the Amity faction is short lived, forcing them to join forces with the FactionIess. Not going to spoil any of the good stuff here but suffice it to say they begin a trek to figure out who they really are and where they all came from. This book won’t really answer those questions – which I’ll talk about in a subsequent review.

A Few Thoughts – Like Divergent, Insurgent has a ton of action and some interesting young adult themes on loyalty and interpersonal relationships. Because I’m 42 the latter is a bit of a bore but younger readers might relate to some of the challenges people face in the midst of ethical dilemmas, and balancing loyalty with self-preservation or sacrifice. Not a stand-alone novel at all but one you should read if you liked Divergent because Roth does a great job setting up Allegiant, the third and final book in the main story. Her writing is consistent with the first book and it kept me interested enough to move on to the finale – that’s good enough for 3.8 stars.

Tom Clementson (MotleyChronicles.com)

Be sure to take a moment and leave your feedback and comments about the book on Amazon and goodreads.
on December 22, 2013
Okay, I read Divergent this week and loved the quick read for it's character build, action and intrigue. It was clever and fun. This, this sequel, it was not clever, it was not fun, it was action for the sake of action. Everyone kept secrets for the sake of the book to move forward, when simply having a conversation with each other would have been much more efficient, logical, and likely create a much better plot and storyline. I found myself often bored, wanting to get through whatever I was reading in hopes the next part got better. I hated what became of the two lead characters -Tris and Tobias. The constant talk of 'I love you but you don't love me' was incredibly annoying and out of place. I felt like I was a kid playing you love me - you love me not with daisy petals. The fight, the makeup, the fight and doubting, the makeup. Ugh. Have a REAL conversation already and avoid all the fights! I would have rather they were a team rather than two lone rangers playing tough, independent, self-sacrificing idiots. Wasn't the original Dauntless about teamwork? Not to mention, the book muddled up timing. A bruise on someone's face disappears after a week, yet a month later the author notes the bruise is bright. You think a day has passed, but it's been a week you later learn. And why is it everyone else's gunshot wounds heal but Tris'? Peter's heals - that's how we know it's a month from the beginning of the book, he says so, but Tris' is still raw as ever? And when did she become the bionic woman, running 40 miles or some crazy distance and then ready for a fight and a repeat run the next day? I love the suspension of reality, it is a big reason I read, but it has to be suspended on the tenants of logic. This book, to me, was just so far reaching to the point of ridiculousness, the logic was missing. Plus the author managed to ruin the main characters in the process, and kills off so many of the supporting characters. Not saying she shouldn't have, it's war after all, but would have been nice to introduce us then to more characters so we stay vested; came across as any character introduction was also a death sentence. I am mixed on reading the final installment. I think perhaps this book is really targeted at teenagers and as a 40 yo educated woman, I simply should not have been reading it. Who knows. But must say, I am disappointed after having enjoyed the first book so much. Gave three stars vs. less as I did finish the book and in one day. As someone who has put books down without finishing them before, I did not feel this was one of those books. It was light and entertaining enough, just not to the caliber of the last book and I am not sure if it's to the caliber that keeps me reading the series.
on September 17, 2013
I don't get why people love this series. I thought the 1st book was good-ish. This book was just bad. Why does Tris keep lying to Tobias? Why does she think she needs to handle it all, when there are so many other people? It is quite arrogant to think one knows better than everyone else. She doesn't trust Tobias at all and lean on him or talk to him about anything. That is not love. Why would she work with someone who wronged the man she loved without evidence of his truth? I loved tris in book one this Tris is nothing like book 1 Tris. I was annoyed the whole time I was reading this book, but i kept with it till the end. The book would have been better if they didn't make unnecessary conflict between Tris and Tobias and concentrate on the plot. Which was good-ish. I really liked the idea of this series, but the story was way to annoying. The writing is good and the style is good,, but like I said.. I don't get why people love this series. I will not read book 3.
on May 5, 2012
Holy crow, Veronica Roth has blown my mind... again! My mind is still reeling!

Insurgent starts right where Divergent ends and immediately grabs you. I had a really hard time keeping myself from jumping ahead or skimming parts to find out something and then going back and reading it properly (I only did this twice, but still). I usually never want to do this... but I just had to KNOW; I couldn't help myself. I nearly inhaled Insurgent but I made myself slow down and savor it (OK, expect for the 2 times)... because I knew that I'd have to wait a year for the last book, the conclusion to the trilogy.

What I loved about Insurgent is that you really get to know the different factions and how they think and work, including the factionless. The factions divide their society by personality traits, but in Insurgent they are in pieces... it was great seeing how characters from different factions worked together using their strengths. I really enjoyed seeing inside each faction's headquarters, meeting their leaders, and understanding their views.

Tris and Four (I'm sticking with calling him Four) are such a fantastic literary couple! Their relationship is constantly tested, and yet they are loyal and steadfast. I was a little frustrated with the secrets they kept from each other at times (I'm all for open communication), but it made sense for their characters. Seriously, this diverse cast of characters is exceptional; each character has a purpose and they are all deliciously flawed with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Insurgent is fast paced, heart wrenching, action packed, and brilliantly executed. There are some seriously jaw-dropping moments, and plot/character twists that I never saw coming. There's danger, betrayal, romance, secrets, more betrayal, and the factions are in utter chaos. Divergent fans will not be disappointed. This series is amazing!
on September 24, 2014
It's an interesting phenomenon how YA fiction has become incredibly mainstream. This book, part of a trilogy (of course!, has already been made into a movie with more to come. As far as the premiere book of the Divergent series, this is a good book and anyone who likes the Hunger Games is bound to enjoy this tale. The story is well-written, with compelling characters and despite its' post-apocalyptic setting, it is similar to the Hunger Games where the hope for a brighter future lives in the teenagers that are the focus of the story. I also like that this book also is built around strong female characters, sometimes multi-generational, which is empowering for girls and young women. I haven't jumped to the other three books yet, but will at some point. I also saw the movie, which was very good and true to the novel.
on May 12, 2014
I must say I disagree with the choice the author made for the end of the third book. But I respect her choice and I can reluctantly live with it.

In the first book, we are introduced to a society that seems altruistic and not so dystopian at all were it not for the fate of those who don't make it through initiation into their chosen factions. Factionlessness is something to be avoided at all cost. All I can say is "Tris you are a true heroine!" It's not every day heroic characters like Tris and Four come along.

Without going into spoilers, the second book continues in much the same way with my appreciation for the heroism of Tris and Four increasing as they make difficult and selfless choices.

In the third book, when faced with selfless choices, again Tris and Four do not disappoint. The way things turned out, I found myself grieving but the trip was worth it. These books are good reads and are all page-turners.
on April 13, 2014
This book review is on Insurgent by Veronica Roth. It is the second book in the Divergent Series.

The story continues where the first book Divergent left off. Tris, Tobias, Marcus, Peter and Caleb are on the run. They must leave the city or be captured or killed by one of the five factions using mind control simulations. One faction wants to rule all the other factions no matter the cost and is led by a ruthless leader who plans to eliminate anyone caught who is Divergent.

The group with Tris finds temporary safety in one of the factions outside the city, but they are soon discovered and chased back into the city. People are choosing sides now and choosing the wrong side will probably get you killed. The factions will continue to war with each other until one side gains control. Tris must decide whether to give up to or fight on.

A little more background information is given in this book, which helps to explain why the five factions are fighting each other and why the Divergent are so important. The book ends with a bomb shell that will make you want to read the final book to see what happens.

I enjoyed this book almost as much as the first book and rate it with four stars. The story is interesting with good characters, strong plot and excellent writing in the first person. This is science fiction at its best and I look forward to reading the final book in the series.