- File Size: 4612 KB
- Print Length: 688 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0385504764
- Publisher: Image; Reprint edition (May 2, 2006)
- Publication Date: May 2, 2006
- Sold by: Random House LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B000GCFWDC
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #316,547 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$21.00|
Save $8.01 (38%)
Random House LLC
Price set by seller.
The Divine Hours (Volume One): Prayers for Summertime: A Manual for Prayer Kindle Edition
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
The volumes follow an abbreviated form of monastic prayer: prayers for morning, midday, evening and compline (last prayer of the day). There is a suggested "window" for each of these: example: 6 to 9 a.m., on the hour or half-hour for the morning "hour." And the "hour" certainly doesn't mean 60 minutes. Time varies, from maybe four minutes to--whatever you please.
Given the intention of having a definite and usable pattern of daily prayer for busy people, there is inevitably a sense of choppiness at times, with just one line from a Psalm, for instance, when some might be able to remember the whole of it. Well, maybe that's not a bad idea for those so inclined to recite the whole Psalm(mentally, or aloud--your call) Go ahead.
Some people might prefer longer prayers, full-length psalms, longer readings, but this one is so unintimidating you are likelier to come back to it over and over. I use it at least twice a day, not always morning and evening, sometimes midday and night.
I recommend this book very highly.
Let me add that I am 69 years old, and have been using different prayer books for 36 years. The one I liked best fell totally into pieces, and is out of print, so this comes as a lifesaver. Enjoy!
I have long wanted to find a way to keep the divine hours, and this book is a real treasure in helping make that a reality. Each office offers something new to engage me--a reading, a hymn, or a prayer. The Prayer Appointed for the Week, repeated three times a day for a full week, becomes more than just words addressed to God. It begins to take root in my soul, creating a theme for the week in my own relationship with God.
Thank you to Phyllis Tickle for the work you have done in creating this series!!
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Bible Study & Reference > Bible Study
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Worship & Devotion > Prayerbooks
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Worship & Devotion > Clergy
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Worship & Devotion > Devotionals
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Bible Study & Reference > Bible Study
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Worship & Devotion > Prayer Books
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality > Devotionals