Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on December 2, 2017
I am old enough and been a believer long enough to know better. In a time saturated with self help guides and plans, and with so many books ABOUT God, there is still only one book inspired by God, the Bible. After Jesus died and rose again, He sent the Spirit to teach believers. The Spirit is God, and He lives in us! While commentaries may be useful at times, they never replace God's own words in His book.

This book encourages going to the source and reading enough of it every day to have a healthy diet, just like we cannot live on a snack of food now and then. Our spirit needs real food every day, and we dont need any interpreter but the Holy Spirit.

That said, Cordiero is not espousing a solitary journey but one with other believers. His simple approach of daily discipline with other people would revolutionize the Church. We each spend more time listening to God, writing down what we hear which sharpens our communication skills, and then sharing it with others again in a methodical manner.

I am praying that God will use these ideas not only in my own life but in our church to help us be His light in the world. This isn't a " in sixty minutes" or "for dummies" kind of plan but rather a lifestyle change for all time just like eating vegetables and exercising the physical body.
on August 9, 2017
Very useful, very helpful, it has actually got me moving into action, into reading the Bible, pausing to think about what is there, then reflect on it in a journal. I don't miss just a day or two but weeks and yet I am led to feel welcome to sit down again with the journal and scriptures to pause again. I find this method accessible, practicable, encouraging and some of the best use of my time and life. I wish I had read this before I had, perhaps I had to be ready for this but I hope more get to read this because it does work, it worked for me and it has great potential to work for you. It helps that Wayne is a successful pastor and communicator, he writes well not just for information but for transformation in Jesus. Highly Recommended.
on February 15, 2014
Mr. Cordeiro's book is life changing in that it encourages us to study the bible daily. OK, that sounds simplistic or trite. But it is the accessible manner in which the author weaves his own life experiences into the message that inspires one to listen carefully and take note - even hard heads like me...

I admit at first, I resisted Cordeiro's bible study plan (based on the "SOAP" acronym for Scripture / Observation / Application / Prayer). I always think that I know best. But upon reading this book a second time, I felt like the Holy Spirit directed me to consider the methodology. Maybe I don't always have the best approach to everything after all!

The daily Bible studies have enriched my life greatly. I confess to changing "SOAP" to "SMAP", subsituting "Meaning" for "Observation". "Meaning" is more appropriate for me as I greatly value the mining of scripture, diving deeply by referencing commentaries or parallel scriptures. Also, for now, I am going at my own place instead of following the author's recommended "Bible In A Year" schedule. However, if I begin a group study - which the author promotes - the more disciplined, calendar reading plan would be best.

Highly Recommended. One of those rare books that is excellent for both new Christians and "veterans".
on February 17, 2014
I became interested in The Divine Mentor from an opening statement, "My best friends are in the Bible." In the past I've also made this statement, so I wanted to compare my thoughts with Cordeiro's. He believes that in a world decrying the scarcity of good mentors, we need to find real, relevant, meaningful, encouraging, wisdom from life testimonies throughout the Bible. He writes, "men and women handpicked by God...will guide you and tutor you. No seminar, no conference, no leadership forum will outdo what you will learn from entering the Bible." He stresses our need for daily devotions, prayer, asking guidance from the Holy Spirit of God, and obedience to what we learn. He gives practical examples for living as Christians in a secular world. I enjoyed and was challenged by this book.
on October 18, 2012
This book was on my wishlist for a while and I finally ended up being able to buy it. I received it and started writing it right away. I had expected this to be a little more in depth about people in the Bible, but in reality it was a book on the importance of daily reading the Bible and really studying it to live by. I absolutely loved this book and today I loaned it to a friend because I just really feel that it is an important book for people to read, especially if you are wanting to get in to the Bible more and know it is important, but need that extra little push and encouragement. There is a Bible reading plan as well as examples of how to journal and make sure you really get what you should out of what you are reading. I would really recommend this to anyone anywhere in their walk with Jesus. Whether you are new believer, or wanting to get back to a more intimate relationship with Him, or just reaffirm your walk and get more encouragement.
One person found this helpful
on May 31, 2016
I have read the Bible many times, but never has it come to life as much as it has since I read the Divine Mentor. I love the way I am reading slowly this time, as though I am there. I want to try this new form of Bible study at a local coffee shop, as the author does. I am excited to be starting all over again fresh with the characters of the Bible. Great book!
One person found this helpful
on May 4, 2014
I really liked how this book provided an excellent guideline on how to become a better Christian. It requires reading the Bible and doing devotions. With these simple (and time-consuming) tasks, I am able to listen to what God has to say to me through reading the Bible and can write down thoughts I analyzed and comprehended through completing daily devotions. This book really opened my eyes on understanding why it seems that just attending church every Sunday was not enough to have a strong relationship with Jesus Christ.
on September 15, 2014
This book was recommended to me at a perfect time. I've been struggling to find a meaningful way to develop my quiet time and this book gave a perfect solution. I read my Bible passages, write out some observations, consider how it applies to my life and then close with a prayer. I've been writing this all out in my journal for about four weeks now and it's the first time I've truly craved reading my Bible. I look forward to my quiet time and am encouraged and instructed. Wonderful!
on May 2, 2014
We used this in our Sunday school class and all I can say is wow! It opened my eyes to see that devotion books are vine but God has divine mentors right there in the word ready to teach us and if we open our heart God will show us verses and words that he wants to show us for the day. The book uses what is called SOAP..scripture....observation...application...prayer....You learn how to do this and I promise you it will draw you closer to God...I still read devotion books but my main devotion is with God in his word...Fantastic!!! Highly recommend this book.
on February 10, 2016
If you're looking for a one-string guitar, this is it. I love what he's saying, don't get me wrong. But I think Mr. Cordeiro has figured out just about every way to tell someone that being in the Word everyday is important.