Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 437 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,837 reviews
on May 1, 2017
What an incredible journey! Let me start off by saying this is not a genre I read typically. I am more of an intrigue, romance, fantasy gal.

Well, not anymore.

Wow! Just WOW!

This is a book about womanhood but at large about humanity. Every single character is so realistically flawed and yet understandable. I love books that teach me something or make me understand something I thought inconceivable. This book told me of friendship, of addiction, child abuse, racism, Louisiana, discrimination, the 50s. It made me laugh and it made me cry, often at the same time. I found myself moved page after page.

Oh, the FEELS!!! I missed a flight while reading this book, completely engrossed in its pages, reading at my gate. It was worth it ;P

If you follow my reviews, you know how critical I am. Well, the writing was flawless. The author goes seamlessly back and forth in time using different points of views. I was not confused once.

Reading this book I transformed into a child, a mother, a friend. I cried death and celebrated love. I smelled the flowers and foods of Louisiana, I swam in the bayou, I learned some Cajun.

The description of how people of color were treated is appalling but historically accurate (as far as I can tell). It made me uneasy, as I think it was supposed to. "White people" at the time were mentally used to discrimination and did not perceive it as wrong, though it made my skin crawl. I did not feel that the author was racist like some reviewers expressed (and I am a fanatic supporter of minorities!). It is good we do not forget how bad things could get. Also, I did not feel like other reviewers that the story was cheesy. Topics like abuse and addiction were treated non-judgmentally and the idea of women having children was treated in a very nonstereotypical way, which I appreciated.

Oh, please, just read it already.
Recovering from right foot surgery has given me the uninterrupted time to sip, savor, and belabor the Divine Sisters, their secrets and their healing dysfunction. Wells has created a visual, sensual and almost mystical landscape of mother daughter relationships, set in the heat, humidity, and heart of Louisiana with a Southern drawl. I loved the movie, grew up myself in the 50s and 60s with parents who were the ages of Shep and Vivi, and understand the turmoil of being an adult child of an alcoholic and being uncomfortable in one's own skin. And after all my name is Vivian, named after my maternal grandmother. Ya Ya!!!!!
on June 9, 2016
i saw the movie years ago when it came out and finally got around to reading the book. while parts were changed for a more dramatic and entertaining hollywood flow, overall, the mother-daughter feelings and complicated relationship were as raw and exposed as ever. it's a good book for all women - mothers and daughters - to read and bond. a great reminder all mothers started from girlhood to womanhood with their own unique experiences, including hardships and happiness.
on April 25, 2016
I read Little Altars Everywhere and really enjoyed it, so I ordered this one. I was disappointed in it because it seemed that the mother was portrayed in a more sympathetic light than in the first book. It was hard for me to see her as any kind of positive after she molested her son. Maybe Siddha didn't know about the molestation, but that was never mentioned in the Ya Ya book.
on March 19, 2017
Fabulous favorite of mine. A reminder of those wonderful carefree times... times that were packed full of fun and secrets along with those not so memorable moments that were dysfunctional. It's a touching and heart warming movie. Full of all kinds of emotions flying in every which direction. Enjoy!
on June 1, 2017
This movie helped me get though some tough times in 2002. A big loss. So 15 years later I wanted to experience the book. I was not ready for this literary jewel. Every character is a beautiful imperfect human being described in detail. I could almost smell them.
on September 27, 2016
This movie will always have a special place in my heart. Such a good chick flick. About a mother-daughter relationship seen through the daughters eyes. But when your a young girl you don't always understand what or why things are happening, so much I can relate to. It was beautifully acted, produced, and directed. YA-YA
on September 20, 2014
I don't know why I waited so long to read this book. It is delightful. It tells the story of a group of Louisiana friends from their childhoods, through WWII, on to adulthood, and grandmotherhood. These very southern ladies are the ya-yas. A name they gave their group as children. Their children are called the petite ya-yas. And their husbands, yep, the ya-ya husbands. I strongly suspect there is some truth in this story. The narrator, no, facilitator, of the story is the daughter of one of the ya-yas. She had a special childhood, and she knows it, but events in the past, inflicted on her by her ya-ya mother, have left her uncertain of how to love, or if she is worthy. She resolves her problems, and comes to a mature love and understanding of her mother, by reading her mother's scrapbook, entitled the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. The book will make you yearn for your own childhood under the swaying fronds of Spanish moss. It is as much about the narrator as it is about the Ya-Yas. One thing that comes through loud and clear is the power of friendship and love. The ya-yas pull each other through the worst of times, and celebrate the best of times together. Girl power to the 25th degree.
on October 23, 2016
Ms Wells writes a mother/daughter conflict saga that has southern done right!!! The word is ya'll not you all. There are these kind of examples all through the book.
The story is so engaging and a real page turner, but you will not finish this book overnight or even 2 nights. This is a great story that has many levels. The Ya Yas are so engaging and personable your heart laughs and giggles, then breaks in a thousand pieces.
Please read this book to make you see that generation with new insight. Southern are not stupid or are all red-necks. I say this is a southern women from Tyler, Texas.
on April 4, 2017
I found it about impossible to relate to any of these characters,
maybe partly because I come from a completely different background. Nevertheless a fun read, but I won't be reading any more of the series.