Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 17, 2015
This is actually my second reading of Divine Temptation, and I enjoyed it even more this time! Ms. Elson has done a lovely job of creating a strong protagonist in Maggie. Though she is struggling in her personal life, Maggie does not present herself as a victim, nor does she spend much time dwelling on the faults of others. That is thoroughly refreshing! In a genre skews toward 'damaged' people, the characters in this book shine: they are neither perfect nor horrible, but simply human.

I appreciated Ms. Elson's careful, reasoned use of religion in this novel. Though it definitely reflects a Catholic world-view, it should be understandable to those of other religions (or no religion at all), and gives this book a hook that sets it apart from other angelic novels (which often choose to eschew problematic theology in favor of making angels a sort of... heavenly-and sexy!-superheroes). The divine/human relationship is treated with respect, which I appreciate.

There IS steamy sex, though I'll leave it up to the reader to find out how THAT happens, and some exciting action sequences that will get your heart racing.

My single criticism of Divine Temptation is that it really is mislabeled: this is NOT a romance novel, but a fully fleshed novel of the paranormal with a romantic aspect. I could easily see it marketed to a wider audience than a typical 'romance' engenders, because this is not stuff that will appeal just to women.

Divine Temptation is an exciting, thought-provoking novel of the supernatural, with strong characters and a good story. It deserves to be savored (though I couldn't do that--read it in one day, both times).
on May 8, 2013
Maggie Brock has been through a lot, but she's holding it together. She divorced recently because her husband was unfaithful. Now they're sharing custody of their two children, she works part-time in the office of her Catholic church, and she has an angel named Evan in her bedroom.

Yes. You read that correctly. An angel.

Evan isn't sure why he's been sent to Maggie, but he knows she needs him. Maggie finds herself becoming more and more attracted to Evan as unknown evil forces threaten her.

I love this book. The characters are interesting (Nicki, how did you know exactly how I felt while I was going through my divorce?), the plot is exciting, and the book has all sorts of unexpected twists and turns.

Plus, Nicki is so very good at writing sex scenes that cause one to blush only a tiny bit.

This novel is Nicki's second. Her first was Three Daves. Three Daves represents Nicki's coming of age in the form of the novel and in her maturity as a writer. She was getting her feet wet with Three Daves, and it's a great first novel.

But now we have a mature writer in Nicki Elson. Divine Temptation is highly superior to Three Daves (though I certainly enjoyed Three Daves, and I encourage you to read it).
2 people found this helpful
on November 4, 2013
The first time divorced mom Maggie "wakes" to see a man standing in her bedroom, she thinks it's a dream. After all, she IS lonely, and he IS terribly easy on the eyes. A real hunka-hunka angel sent to her straight from heaven. But the dream theory gets blown to smithereens when he keeps reappearing, not only in her bedroom, but in fleeting glimpses out in public, as well. Turns out, he really IS an angel, an angel who's not only surprised that she can see him... and talk with him... and touch him... but who has no idea why he's been sent to watch over her. One thing he's sure of, though, is no matter how attracted they are to each other, that whole angel-human love affair stuff is seriously frowned upon by Upper Management.

Eison spins a fascinating tale that examines classic conflicts like good vs. evil and faith vs. doubt, and she does so in a fresh and thoroughly captivating manner. Her characters are real and believable, facing real-world difficulties regarding love, friendship, and forgiveness, as well as other-worldly difficulties with angels, demons, and evil possession.

I read this book when it was first released, and thought I'd written a review on it, but if I did, the review isn't here anymore. SO, I read the book again yesterday to refresh my memory, so I could write a new review today.

I'm glad I did. I enjoyed this book as much... if not more... the second time around as I did the first. First time, I was enthralled by the story. Second time, I still loved the story, but was better able to appreciate the writing itself. What can I say? This is a reeeeeally good book.
VINE VOICEon August 17, 2013
Maggie Brock is a divorced, single mom. Life is relatively normal until an angel shows up. At first he's just part of a dream. But then he's in real life. Others can see him, too. The angel, Evan, is very attractive and Maggie finds herself drawn to him - hence "Divine temptation." Evan doesn't quite know why he's there, but soon sinister things start happening. It seems the devil has plans for Maggie. You'll have to read the book to find out exactly what they are.

Divine Temptation is a unique romance in that the romance itself is not the main focus of the story. It's secondary to a more compelling plot. I found this to be refreshing, as was the paranormal aspect of the book. Also commendable is that the characters have depth - strengths and weaknesses, and are not always predictable. Even the ending was not exactly what I expected. I would definitely recommend Divine Temptation to those who enjoy romance books.
on August 13, 2014
This was a unique read. I really enjoyed it and looked forward to reading it every night. There is an appealing vulnerability to Maggie, the main character, and Evan is an admirable character who is refreshing in his commitment to his "assignment." Even though I don't usually enjoy "angel" novels, and theologically there are some issues here, it's a page-turning read with a great ending!
on August 5, 2013
I'm normally not a reader of super-natural books, but knew I could not go wrong with Niki Elson. I was left wondering until the end who was on the side of good and who was evil. The author expertly and sensitively handled the role of faith and the Catholic Church without diluting the subject or causing scandal. I did not want to put it down! The ending left me satisfied for all involved, but I hear that she has some other material on her website. ;)
Looking forward to more!
on August 15, 2013
The title Divine Temptation describes this novel perfectly. If you enjoy it as much as I did, you'll find it an entertaining page turner. This is one read that you won't find duplicated. The uniqueness of the story will have you begging for more. It is one that you may want to read twice, just in case you missed something! I sure will.

Dani Burke, Author of Highway to Love
on July 24, 2013
A friend/colleague recommended this book, after I was intrigued by the cover. I was spellbound and couldn't put it down. The author had me guessing up until the big reveal by intricately weaving enough details to make me constantly question. I highly recommend this book!
on April 1, 2013
Another great novel from Nicki Elson. Read it cover to cover in one day. Perfect mix of romance and religion!
2 people found this helpful
on June 5, 2013
Horrible story dont waste your money
There is nothing, remotely that this is paranormal romance.
Of all the books I have read, and there are many, this is by far the worst ever
Hated it I wish I could delete from my kindle