Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Dmitri Korotkevitch
Dmitri regularly speaks at various Microsoft and SQL PASS events, and he provides SQL Server consulting services and training to the clients around the world.
He blogs at: http://aboutsqlserver.com, and he can be reached at email@example.com.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Improve your ability to develop, manage, and troubleshoot SQL Server solutions by learning how different components work “under the hood,” and how they communicate with each other. The detailed knowledge helps in implementing and maintaining high-throughput databases critical to your business and its customers. You’ll learn how to identify the root cause of each problem and understand how different design and implementation decisions affect performance of your systems.
New in this second edition is coverage of SQL Server 2016 Internals, including In-Memory OLTP, columnstore enhancements, Operational Analytics support, Query Store, JSON, temporal tables, stretch databases, security features, and other improvements in the new SQL Server version. The knowledge also can be applied to Microsoft Azure SQL Databases that share the same code with SQL Server 2016.
Pro SQL Server Internals is a book for developers and database administrators, and it covers multiple SQL Server versions starting with SQL Server 2005 and going all the way up to the recently released SQL Server 2016. The book provides a solid road map for understanding the depth and power of the SQL Server database server and teaches how to get the most from the platform and keep your databases running at the level needed to support your business. The book:
• Provides detailed knowledge of new SQL Server 2016 features and enhancements
• Includes revamped coverage of columnstore indexes and In-Memory OLTP
• Covers indexing and transaction strategies
• Shows how various database objects and technologies are implemented internally, and when they should or should not be used
• Demonstrates how SQL Server executes queries and works with data and transaction log
What You Will Learn
- Design and develop database solutions with SQL Server.
- Troubleshoot design, concurrency, and performance issues.
- Choose the right database objects and technologies for the job.
- Reduce costs and improve availability and manageability.
- Design disaster recovery and high-availability strategies.
- Improve performance of OLTP and data warehouse systems through in-memory OLTP and Columnstore indexes.
Who This Book Is For
Developers and database administrators who want to design, develop, and maintain systems in a way that gets the most from SQL Server. This book is an excellent choice for people who prefer to understand and fix the root cause of a problem rather than applying a 'band aid' to it.
SQL Server’s Concurrency Model is one of the least understood parts of the SQL Server Database Engine. Almost every SQL Server system experiences hard-to-explain concurrency and blocking issues, and it can be extremely confusing to solve those issues without a base of knowledge in the internals of the Engine. While confusing from the outside, the SQL Server Concurrency Model is based on several well-defined principles that are covered in this book.
Understanding the internals surrounding SQL Server’s Concurrency Model helps you build high-throughput systems in multi-user environments. This book guides you through the Concurrency Model and elaborates how SQL Server supports transactional consistency in the databases. The book covers all versions of SQL Server, including Microsoft Azure SQL Database, and it includes coverage of new technologies such as In-Memory OLTP and Columnstore Indexes.
What You'll Learn
- Know how transaction isolation levels affect locking behavior and concurrency
- Troubleshoot and address blocking issues and deadlocks
- Provide required data consistency while minimizing concurrency issues
- Design efficient transaction strategies that lead to scalable code
- Reduce concurrency problems through good schema design
- Understand concurrency models for In-Memory OLTP and Columnstore Indexes
- Reduce blocking during index maintenance, batch data load, and similar tasks
Who This Book Is For
SQL Server developers, database administrators, and application architects who are developing highly-concurrent applications. The book is for anyone interested in the technical aspects of creating and troubleshooting high-throughput systems that respond swiftly to user requests.
Pro SQL Server Internals explains how different SQL Server components work "under the hood" and how they communicate with each other. This is the practical book with a large number of examples that will show you how various design and implementation decisions affect the behavior and performance of your systems.
Pro SQL Server Internals covers a multiple SQL Server versions starting with SQL Server 2005 all the way up to the recently released SQL Server 2014. You’ll learn about new SQL Server 2014 features including the new Cardinality Estimator, In-Memory OLTP Engine (codename Hekaton), and Clustered Columnstore Indexes. With Pro SQL Server Internals, you have a solid roadmap for understanding the depth and power of the SQL Server database backend, regardless of the version and edition of SQL Server you use.
Pro SQL Server Internals does the following:
- Explains how to design efficient database schema, indexing, and transaction strategies.
- Shows how various database objects and technologies are implemented internally and when they should or should not be used.
- Demonstrates how SQL Server executes queries and works with data and transaction logs.
Learn the architecture and the internals of In-Memory OLTP in order to recognize when technology can make a difference. Recognize opportunities for In-Memory OLTP in new development and understand how to benefit from it in existing systems. Don’t be without Dmitri Korotkevitch and the deep expertise he imparts in Expert SQL Server In-Memory OLTP, 2nd Edition as you move forward in using SQL Server’s In-Memory OLTP technology.
Dmitri Korotkevitch is the five-star author of Pro SQL Server Internals, and brings the same combination of clear thinking and deep expertise to help you in this second edition. The book:
- Explains In-Memory OLTP internals, architecture and programmability, including data storage, indexing, multi-version concurrency control, transaction logging and recovery, and native compilation
- Covers SQL Server 2016 technology enhancements, including columnstore indexes and off-row storage
- Grasp how SQL Server stores and works with data in memory-optimized tables
- Properly design and index memory-optimized tables
- Plan successful deployments, including the required memory size and I/O configuration
- Accelerate T-SQL processing through the creation of natively compiled modules
- Monitor and report on the benefits and performance of your In-Memory OLTP solutions
- Benefit from the technology in existing systems and in the systems with the mixed workload
Application developers and database administrators who create and manage online transaction processing (OLTP) systems; in particular, those wanting to take advantage of SQL Server’s new offering of in-memory OLTP to dramatically improve performance and throughput of their systems
- Covers In-Memory OLTP internals and architecture, including data storage, indexing, multi-version concurrency control, transaction logging, and recovery
- Illustrates In-Memory OLTP programmability and the process of native compilation
- Guides in using In-Memory OLTP in new development and existing systems.