Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on April 15, 2014
I was expecting a book of quitting my day job, starting my own business and living happily ever after... instead I was treated to a story of how a girl from a well off family went from Cornell, to summer internships at film studios, to a semester in London... which apparently all entrepreneurs do? Then it goes on to tell us how she was nervous of hosting a dinner brainstorm session... at an MTV Studios boardroom.... which she only did after shadowing a top level restaurateur of NYC. This book isn't motivational or feel good by any means. It makes you feel that unless you went to a well off college and have high end connections through school or family... you won't make it. Hoping to be able to return this as it won't be staying anywhere near my library.
60 people found this helpful
on August 21, 2013
This book, while admittedly having decent information in it, especially about how to get investors to the table for your business pitch, is written mainly for quirky hipster women. No investor in the world is going to lend tens of thousands of dollars to a guy pitching a business idea if he passes out pet rocks or asks investors to write a haiku, as he will likely come off looking mentally unstable or immature.

Both of these "ideas" are actually in the book.

In another passage, the author tells about her creepily staring at a potential investor from across the bar until he made eye contact. If a guy does that he'll likely be asked to leave the establishment.

It should also be noted that this book is similar to others of its kind, in that it is written by an Ivy League graduate in NYC who likely has more access to wealthy connections that the average person. Much of what I have read in this book simply did not apply to my situation. I have to imagine this sentiment will resound with many who read this book and don't have the access to capital that she does.

I would have appreciated some sort of disclaimer, in the description, that the book primarily focuses on non-traditional methods of developing your business and as is totally dependent on your current location. Having known that beforehand, I likely would have looked elsewhere for information.
219 people found this helpful
on April 11, 2018
I believe Miki knows exactly what she is talking about, it helped me think a lot of my current situation. I was recommended this book by another artist and I finished it before her so I tried not to spoil it. But the situations she describes are possible to any and everybody!
One person found this helpful
on April 6, 2018
There's a lot of useful information.
on February 26, 2016
While I can appreciate Miki's efforts, the writing style in this book is awful. I loved the concept when my friend told me about it but I couldn't get past the first 40 or so pages. When I shared my reaction with said friend, she said "oh yeah! I forgot to tell you it's pretty bad... I couldn't get through it either!" Would not recommend.
11 people found this helpful
on December 24, 2013
The air about this book is so trivial. The writing style of a tween. So peppy and bubbly but lacking in substance. The books last few chapters are about diet and exercise. Like I bought the start my business book to get diet advice? There are much better books by entrepreneurs out there skip this one.
37 people found this helpful
on September 10, 2014
Not what I expected. I was hoping for some inspiration but instead it was more like a how-to book on writing a business plan.
5 people found this helpful
on March 27, 2014
The exercise on removing friends who deplete you is straight out of Fiona Harrold's Be Your Own Life Coach. The exercises to help you find your passion are straight out of Martha Back, Finding Your Own North Star. If you want some life coaching or help working out the sort of life you want, I suggest either of these authors have a far superior offering. She dilutes and strips back the concepts so they're like bubble gum - completely lacking substance. Obviously not a deep thinker this one.

If she was a deep thinker, she might have thought twice about getting her twin sister (who is mentioned throughout the book) to write the first review of this book on Amazon, giving it 5 stars of course, without disclosing the conflict of interest.

She advises taking a cheese platter to a company when you're trying to win people over. She obviously thinks she is a lot cleverer than she actually is, and that most people are a lot more stupid than they actually are. This arrogance and a kind of breezing through life thinking no-one will notice her lapses in integrity (or probably more that they don't matter because it's her, and she's special), is common in people who have privileged backgrounds, as this author does.

The complete lack of appreciation of the fact that her wealthy background and parental support (they paid for her Ivy League college education) put her in a seriously advantageous position compared to most people is quite shocking. Totally lacking self awareness. Most people can't afford to be interns as they need to work to pay the rent and put food on the table. Most people pay for themselves to go to University so can't afford to have semesters doing optional internships overseas. Fair enough, not every one with her privilege does as well as she has, but she is seriously lacking EQ.

Do not buy this book. The last thing you want to do is give this woman more credibility. Choose a book written by someone with depth and integrity instead.
69 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 15, 2015
This was a great how-to book for people looking to start their own businesses. Although it seemed a tad unrealistic at times (she seems to know someone in every industry!) it was extremely insightful as far as how to get started on a budget with little knowledge and be resourceful.
on May 14, 2015
I wanted to crawl into the pages of the book and meet this woman! What a delightful writing style -- her personality came through in every sentence. And her ideas and methods for networking, brainstorming (in groups), and problem-solving were innovative and so proactive. She and her colleagues are integrity-driven, and her share-the-wealth and enrich-the-planet-and-its-people philosophy/motivation are refreshing. Not your usual business mogul at all, and she deserves all the success she has.
One person found this helpful