- Paperback: 310 pages
- Publisher: Wiley; 1 edition (September 28, 1996)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 047114889X
- ISBN-13: 978-0471148890
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.8 x 9.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 15.4 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 2 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #601,538 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Do It Right the First Time: A Short Guide to Learning From Your Most Memorable Errors, Mistakes, and Blunders 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
See the Best Books of 2018 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
From the Publisher
Called "The Father of Negotiating Training" by Forbes, Nierenberg has written over 19 books about negotiation and improving interpersonal skills. In this book he raises people's awareness about the way errors are made and provides techniques for substantially decreasing them. How to achieve your potential, focusing your concentration, analysis of errors, learning from others' mistakes and boosting accuracy are among the topics discussed. Includes numerous examples on how to correct reading and memory errors.
From the Back Cover
The ultimate guide to identifying and reducing mishaps—both at work and in life
Your mistakes need not be a fact of life. We can all learn to make fewer of them. In Do It Right the First Time, world renowned personal improvement guru Gerard Nierenberg shows us just how we can reduce the number of errors we make—both in and out of life and the workplace. Nierenberg's Error Awareness System teaches us how to increase our sensitivity and cut down on the errors we make—and guard against those made by others that affect us. He shows us how to identify the causes of our errors, how to deal with them—and most importantly—how to prevent them from recurring. Packed with real-life examples, discussion questions, checklists, and helpful exercises, Do It Right the First Time covers:
- Ways to reduce errors in critical thinking and judgment
- Improving memory
- Recognizing patterns in error
- How managers and supervisors can reduce errors—awareness and action, effective feedback, quality control, with no shame, no blame
- Concentration and accuracy—focusing on the job at hand
- Clerical errors and what they cost—understanding transportation, omission, insertion, repetition, substitution
- How to turn mistakes into benefits
For all professionals, academics, and businesspeople, including managers, supervisors, and anyone who simply wants to reduce the number of errors in his or her life, this unique book is indispensable.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I have owned this book since the nineties. I consider it to be the best. More importantly, it's the only simple straight-shooting guidebook available on helping one to develop & enhance error awareness. In short, how to cut down your learning curve & to create better & exceptional quality when doing something for yourself or others.
I reckon most people have come across the following exhortations:
- Do it right the first time & every time!
- If you don't take the time to do it right the first time, when will you have the time to fix it?
& yet don't know how to go about it, this is the book to read.
By the way, the author's other books e.g. on creativity, negotiation, are worth pursuing too.
[Reviewed by Lee Say Keng, Knowledge Adventurer & Technology Explorer, Optimum Performance Technologies, May 2010;]