Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Doctor Who - Journal of Impossible Things - Mini Sonic Screwdriver Pen Included
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

on July 26, 2012
As long as you know what you're getting, you won't be disappointed. I've uploaded several closeup and comparison photos to help explain.

The Journal itself is slightly larger than a standard pocket Moleskin notebook, and as the packaging indicates, there are 78 printed pages and 21 blank pages. The pages are printed clearly enough where you can just make out the scribbling. Difficulty reading the writing is due to the style of the writing, rather than any printing deficiencies. And as another reviewer suggested, the blank pages would be great for getting autographs. As you can see in the photos, the only disappointing bit with the Journal is the printing on the inside of the fake leather cover on the right side. This could be remedied with a permanent marker.

I really bought this for the pen, however, and it turned out to be the best of three sonic screwdrivers I've purchased. (I also purchased the "full size" sonic screwdriver toy with sliding bits and the sonic screwdriver torch.) The pen is about an inch longer than a DVD or CD, and has much deeper crackling detail along its barrel. And unlike the torch, its blue line along the barrel is actually cut out with a blue translucent insert. Since it doesn't have a sliding mechanism, there's simply a momentary button (you have to hold it down) for activating the light. Since it's primarily a pen, the LED at the end is quite dim compared to the torch. This pen has a very translucent light to medium blue dome, and (I'm guessing) a white LED beneath it. As you'll see in the photos, this blue dome is not as nicely dark as in the full size sonic toy, but preferable to the clear dome on the torch (which has a blue LED). I do wish the pen had the bright LED like the torch, but I noticed it uses smaller LR41 batteries, as opposed to the torch's larger LR44.

I really wanted this pen after purchasing the comically large full size sonic. Since this pen is actually more pen-sized, I can use it in meetings without looking like a total nerd, but still gladly convert the curious into Whovians. The other downfall of the full size sonic's pen capability is that its nibs don't seat firmly in the barrel, so they come loose as you try to hold the sonic in a pen grip. This pen, however, is very solid up and down the length of it. The black cap can be attached to the blue dome end of the pen while writing. The cap is made of somewhat pliable and thin plastic, and it doesn't attach securely to the dome end, and on either end, it can come loose if you pull the pen out of a pocket.

What's important to note is that Character Options, the company that made this, no longer makes this pen/Journal set, and their website doesn't offer replacement nibs, so you might want to buy a couple of these pens. I plan to disassemble the pen to see if the ink can be replaced...it appears that the length of the nib is the same as the one from the full size sonic.

I do highly recommend this product, however, and since it's no longer in production, you might want to get an extra for yourself, and maybe even another as a gift to a Whovian friend.
11 comment| 329 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2012
I don't know what all the bad reviews are about, this is brilliant! I was very impressed with the journal. The pages are authentic and very detailed, exactly as they appear in the show, and there's a lot of neat information in the writing. The sonic pen is great, too--the light is so bright it works well as a flashlight at night, hee. I was thrilled with this--had to buy one for myself and a friend as soon as I saw it. I give it a five star rating! :D
on June 7, 2015
I think this is a really excellent set, but you have to have the right expectations going in. It's a cute souvineer item meant for a bit of fun and a bit of a showpiece. It isn't that big and the journal doesn't have the secrets to the universe in it. It just has some cool pictures and cool handwriting.

I actually bought this for my niece who is heavily into doctor who and she loves it. She's 12 and she likes to carry it around and show it to her friends.

I accidentally bought 2, so I kept one for myself. I keep it in my office at work as a conversation piece on the remote chance people I work with don't realize my geek status. It's a fun conversation piece.

I personally think it looks cool and is a lot of fun, but I think some other reviewers expected more out if it then it is. These things are typically fun little keepsakes. Keep your expectations in line with that and I think you will enjoy it.
on April 21, 2012
I'm a huge Doctor Who fan, ever since I caught the Baker reruns as a kid. When I saw that they had released this, I got very excited.

Then it came in. I was much less excited. The product is smaller than I was expecting, thinner than I was expecting, and the pen is... Cute.

For the price I was very unimpressed. Saddened even. I was waiting for a fun filled book with little informational tidbits as seen in the episode Human Nature. Watch the episode, they flip through pages and pages! This book has about twenty, and I think that's being generous. I don't even really know anymore, as it's currently in storage.

Over all, like I said, very disappointing purchase. Sadness. The Doctor Who merchandise has for the most part left me feeling like a complete sucker.

I'll still continue to buy the merch though. Because I am a complete sucker.
1111 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2013
When I read the product description, I didn't realize the dimensions that were given were describing the package and not the actual product. The journal itself is very tiny-- 5.5 x 3.5 inches, and not worth the $25 + price tag. I feel like the description is misleading. I was so excited to order this product, and it turned out to be such a disappointment.
on April 8, 2015
Great for cosplay or for little Whovians as a toy! The pen lights up at the end, but doesn't make any noise. The book's writing is slightly difficult to read, but the drawings are gorgeous! It looks like real leather and it even has extra pages in the back for you to add your own adventures! Anyone who saw the episode that this book was in, will appreciate the consistency with the show and the little easter eggs hidden throughout the book.
on December 16, 2013
journal isn't what is pictured. What you see is something from the show, (or the prop book) and the entire journal is not only very small, but the information isn't readable. It looks like it has been copied too many times.

the book itself measures about 3&1/2 x5 and the sonic screwdriver about 5 inches in length. though, the add says " 2.2 x 10.2 x 5.9 inches ; 6.7 ounces " there is NO WAY this journal is 10.2 inches. The box that it came in? yes. Unless you are a kid, the box gets thrown away.

Not worth returning it. Really not worth ever purchasing something from this vender again.
on June 28, 2016
Much smaller than it looks. It is NOT bigger on the inside. It's okay for fans that must have all things Doctor Who and maybe for a younger person or a kid. I was hoping for a nice writing book/journal. This wasn't it. More of a novelty item.
on December 2, 2012
I bought this and am quite pleased with the product. The mini sonic/pen is awesome and fits nicely in a pocket when you don't require a full-sized sonic such as for a halloween costume. The light is awesome and it is well built. The pen isn't great but most will not be using it for writing. The journal is a nice touch for a costume prop for an aesthetic addition. On the other hand, this isn't a product if you want a true replica to add to your collection since the text inside isn't the best printing. The pictures are detailed enough to recognize your favorite characters from the David Tennant episodes but don't buy this if you actually wanted to read the journals contents.
on January 7, 2016
My son is just in a fickle stage right now. So I'm not quite sure if this was a hit or a miss. "I" liked it. The packaging was nice. He "says" he likes to journal in English. The Sonic Screwdriver is a pen. So we'll have to see.