Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Doctor Sleep: A Novel
Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 30, 2017
Doctor Sleep: Shining Book 2 (The Shining)
I bought this ebook when it came out and it waited for me on the Kindle till I was ready.
Written by a veteran Stephen King who told me a story instead of the latest fashion in present continuous, which I can't abide, about characters new and familiar. I loved the twist that appears in the last few chapters. Worth reading to find out!
Well written, compelling, dramatic and down to earth, convincing even with the unusual story line of ultra vampires, it gave me a good solid read. Classical Stephen King comes highly recommended.
on July 27, 2017
I waited and waited for King to release this book. What works here best is the continuation of the original story that began in The Shining. Admittedly, my interest in that book (it was the first by King that I read) probably colored my experience of this book. I can see how a reader would want to start with The Shining for context here.

In terms of scare factor, some of the images from this book will be with me for a long while to come. A must for King fans, but I recommend it for any reader.
on July 19, 2014
This was rather disappointing for a couple of reasons. First, it had little to do with The Shining other than the lead character being from that book, now grown up. There's little else that ties it in to the true star of the original--the Overlook Hotel. Perhaps another story set in the Overlook would have been a more fitting sequel. The second reason I was disappointed was the story itself. It's standard King fare, with the flawed hero (alcoholic, again--King has gone to that bottle one too many times); the baddies, who really aren't that scary; and an attempt at tension that lacks any tenseness. Without giving away the ending, let me know say that the story meanders to an ending that seems uninspired. I'm probably juding it harsher than usual because I loved The Shining as well as all of King's earlier works. I was so excited to finally read this book, and within about 100 pages, so disappointed. Not terrible, but certainly not in the same class as The Shining.
on June 4, 2014
I just finished Doctor Sleep and feel like I want to go back and read The Shining again and then Dr Sleep again after. But I didn't feel like it was necessary to the story. I just like to revisit old haunts to catch those little nuances that get forgotten with time.
Doc is all grown up now and fighting new villains and keeping the old ones at bay. He's not known as "Doc" in this novel, but we can still see him in the adult, but with adult problems. Problems that include the demon alcoholism that his own father fought and lost his life to. We are introduced to a new child heroine in this story. I'm not real sure I felt the same about her as I did the child that Doc was in the earlier story. Perhaps because she is so much stronger. Oops, was that a spoiler? No, not really. Hopefully, just a hook.
I almost feel like King is setting us up for another story. I hope so. I know I want to know where life and the Shining takes these characters.
on June 28, 2017
I really enjoyed this story. I am a big fan of Stephen King, and his novel 'The Shining' is the only book I ever read that actually spooked me while reading alone at night. This story is the follow up to the lead character in The Shining. It keeps to the supernatural theme, and at the same time ads in some disturbing forces that are new to the story. I give the novel two thumbs up.
on March 23, 2014
I'm not going to give a synopsis, you can find that in other reviews. I enjoyed the book and it was a quick read, but I liked it if was a stand alone story and not a sequel to The Shining. The Shining is one of my all time favorite King books and I found this book as a sequel extremely disappointing. You only get about two actual chapters that carry on the story from the first book. The rest is a bit kooky and not true horror like The Shining.
on October 19, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! The story was filled with extremely well written characters and absolutely terrifying villains. Although I do not possess any of the "shining" myself, I found myself looking over my shoulder a few times while walking my dog at night. My view of Winnebagos and RVs have also taken on a slightly sinister and tainted light in my eyes. I am sure I will be revisiting this novel again sometime down the road just like I revisit my favorite Stephen King novel "It" every year. For those of you who haven't read "The Shining" I would recommend reading (or rereading if you've read it awhile ago) before reading "Doctor Sleep". It will help make some connections during the story which you might not understand if you've never read "The Shining" or are going by the movie story alone.
on September 9, 2016
As a big Shinning fan I was eager to see what King did with a grown up Danny. It did a faithful job of picking up on the themes of the first book. It is essentially an alcoholic ghost story. You root for Danny and hope he doesn't slip up. This ends up becoming a point of suspense, almost more so than the supernatural elements. I think this is what King does better than any other writer in this, or any other genre. Also something that his son, Joe Hill has picked up as well. But even if you haven't read the Shining, this works as a stand alone piece. Great story, and scary as all get out!
on August 2, 2017
Lot better than The Shining, I love how Danny seems to be turning into his dad, no matter how much he fought against it. But certain things call to us, no matter how bad they are. Love the villains of the story and love how it all goes back to that horrible place from Danny's childhood. Couldn't put it down, it surpassed my expectations.
on October 16, 2015
A wonderful tale in its own right, this novel is even better for bringing back little Danny Torrance from "The Shining", as an adult, warts and all. Like all of Stephen King's protagonists, Dan Torrance is a flawed human being. Small wonder, given his genetics--which include alcoholism, a propensity to violence, and of course, his shining--and his formative childhood experiences, especially his exposure to the great evil of the Overlook Hotel chronicled in "The Shining". Just being able to learn how little Danny turned out is worth the price of admission when you open this book. But this story isn't a sequel to "The Shining"; it's a new story that just happens to bring in a character from another Stephen King novel.

As much as I liked "Doctor Sleep", I felt that it fell short of what it could have been. The author gave us a glimpse into the nature and makeup of the True Knot, but only a glimpse... it seems to me that there was (is?) a huge potential for development of a storyline on the topic of this evil group. (I wonder if the author plans yet another novel that deals with this group as its central core?... hmmm...). But in terms of THIS novel, I felt that the Knot was a bit too soft; I think that the author could have really ramped up the tension and the horror by making the death-sucking cabal just a little bit grittier, nastier, tougher... I mean, they've been around for thousands of years, right? They must have some pretty solid experience in defeating their enemies by now, one would expect?

But that's a minor criticism. This was a solid book, worthy of a full four stars.