Top positive review
3 people found this helpful
DON'T BUY THIS! YET.
on February 10, 2014
I don't know how many people could be more stoked about this 50th Anniversary Special than me. But then, I'm betting every review makes the same claim. I'm not going to get too much into the story, since by now you already know what it is, or I'm going to spoil it for you. So I'll get to the pros at cons.
1. If you do not yet have a 3D player and 3D TV, this still comes with a 2D version. So if you ever upgrade, you don't have to buy this again. And for those that have the ability to see this in 3D at home, you will not be disappointed.
2. The two prequels are included
3. The making of special is also included, which was aired in the theatres. It's called "Behind the Lens", is voiced over by Colin Baker, and is roughly 15 mins long.
1. No commentary. SERIOUSLY?!? How could there NOT be one of these on this monumental achievement in Doctor Who history? I think that they are holding out on this, and will include it in a later release to get people to buy this again.
2. Extra excerpts that were in the theater were not included, such as the 10th and 11th Doctors explaining 3D, and Stark explaining theater etiquette. Again, possibly another hold out?
Personally, I really enjoyed the story. It has the sometimes over complicated Steven Moffatt bits and pieces, but that's to be expected. But if you have been a fan of the new series, this simply is a MUST HAVE.
I know this review is brief compared to my other Doctor Who reviews. And while I could have made this a huge read through by adding spoilers, highlighting the good and not so good parts, but again, I think most people already know the story.
2-19-14 UPDATE: Yup. Just as I expected, a Collector's Edition is scheduled to be released, date yet unknown. The 2 extra features there were in the theater will be included, and a deleted scene. I would not be surprised if a commentary is added as well.
I originally titled this review as a MUST HAVE, but now I say to wait, since a better version with more extras is on its way. I'm REALLY PISSED, and want my money back.