Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,554 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,296 reviews
on February 19, 2017
For some reason (money, what else could it be) the finale to this season, "The End of Time" parts 1&2, are NOT included in this season... which is CRAZY. And disrespectful to the amazing tenure of David Tennant as The Doctor. You need to see the finale for everything to make sense, to see the regeneration to the new Doctor (Matt Smith) & to have closure with David's character. At the very least link "Doctor Who: The David Tennant Specials" in people's recommended items as soon as they finish this season! It was never recommended to me throughout watching 6 seasons of Doctor Who on amazon & I only discovered the missing episodes much later when I was watching Doctor Who clips on YouTube. Thanks YouTube! Needless to say, David Tennant is incredible as The Doctor & this is a great season.
on August 12, 2008
...for the occasional lows.

Doctor Who: Series Four was, in my opinion, superior to the previous three series'. Yes, there were low points, but each series has had those. For this series, the writers - as a collective whole - did a fantastic job of dropping clues here and there, and there was a sense of anticipation as the series went from one episode to the next; quite simply, the building up to the finale was masterfully done.

After a questionable start, Catherine Tate really kicked it into high-gear as the newest companion, Donna Noble, and she has become my favorite companion of the revived series. Donna brought a maturity, wisdom and warmth, as well as a sense of humor, that Rose and Martha simply could not deliver. She also wasn't trotting behind the Doctor, all pie-eyed like a puppy dog, completely infatuated with him, and that was a welcome change. To me, Donna was in it for the sheer joy and adventure, in the greatest tradition of the Doctor Who legacy, and I am reminded of one of her lines from 'Planet of the Ood:' "A rocket! A real proper rocket! It's like...you've got a blue box...he's got a Ferrari! Let's see where he's goin'!" Love that!

The stand-out episodes of the season are: 'The Fires of Pompeii,' 'Planet of the Ood,' and 'The Wasp and The Unicorn' - all very well written. The two episodes: 'Silence in the Library' and 'Forest of the Dead' were both penned by the new Who Chief, Steven Moffat, and definitely stand above the pack; 'Midnight' was especially creepy and delved into the unseemlier traits of human behavior and mini-mob mentality in an unknown situation, and the chilling synchronicity between the Doctor and Skye will send a shiver down your spine - guaranteed. The final three episodes were the best of the finales we've seen so far, filled with visceral imagery and more than snappy dialogue - most of which takes place between David Tennant and Catherine Tate, who are simply spot on - kudos to Russell T. Davies for some fabulous writing there.

Which now leaves the weaklings of the bunch: 'Partners in Crime,' 'The Sontaran Strategem' and 'The Poison Sky.' While the Sontaran episodes started off fairly strong, 'The Poison Sky' descended into a bit more camp for my taste. Then there's 'The Doctor's Daughter.' I was really hoping for more depth than the episode ultimately offered - it felt hurried and a bit desperate to create a new character for future story lines, and I think they missed a really good chance to delve into the character of the Doctor in some ways, but, oh well.

Overall, however, I simply cannot complain about this series (except for the way it ended for Donna...a most awful, tragic and unfair end to any companion's reign, in my book; but that's a personal beef, since I really loved the way Donna's character evolved over the course of the series), and in my mind it completely eclipses the previous three. I will say, the presence of Martha on and off was a bit of a needless addition and the return of Rose was incidental, with the final resolution for her character being a bit of a cop-out, but giving Rose fans what they wanted; and, Russell T. Davies DID do a nice job in tying up the loose ends from his era at the helm, while leaving plenty of red herrings out there for future writers to expound upon, should they choose to.

On the whole, this series was darker, edgier, more mature, with a sharper sense of humor, and the continuity was nearly flawless. David Tennant has laid claim to the role in a way that Christopher Eccleston did not and I feel a great amount of pity for the actor who ultimately follows in his footsteps. The word "impossible" comes to mind, or at least, "extremely difficult." It's going to be a challenge down the road, I'm sure.

On the upside, the series is moving into the more than capable, award winning hands of Steven Moffat, the writer of 'The Empty Child' and 'The Doctor Dances' from Series One, 'The Girl in the Fireplace' from Series Two, and 'Blink' from Series Three (for which he won a BAFTA), as well as the gems from this current series.

And while change is never easy for us life-long Whovians, I, for one, am more than excited to see where he takes it! He's a brilliant, fantastically imaginative writer and I think it's going to be ~ Molto Bene ~ Very good, indeed!

Unfortunately, it's going to seem like a very long wait! May 2010 arrive sooner rather than later!
66 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2017
David Tennant's final full season as the Doctor features such episodes as "Voyage of the Damned" (guest starring Kylie Minogue), "Partners in Crime" (which reintroduces Donna Noble), "Fires of Pompeii" (guest starring Peter Capaldi before he was the Twelfth Doctor), "The Unicorn and the Wasp" (about Agatha Christie), "Silence in the Library" (first appearance of River Song), and the two-part conclusion "The Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End," which reunites all of the companions from the previous seasons and includes cameos from "Torchwood" and "The Sarah Jane Adventures." Russel T. Davies ends his final full season as showrunner on a high note that features some of the best writing and character development. After this season, check out the Complete Specials for the specials that bridged Season 4 to Season 5 and saw David Tennant off.
on November 6, 2016
The writing for this season is excellent. And David Tennant is arguably the world's favorite Doctor. And with good reason. However, he is the only Doctor of the, "New Who," era that I have disagreed with on a moral basis. For instance, when He and Harriet Jones have a falling out as it were early in the season: I actually was on her side. And then late in the season when the Daleks were threatening all of creation, he scolded someone, (spoilers) and accused him of genocide. In the real world, if you try to eradicate me and my species and I kill you first, that's called me winning the war, not genocide. But that's just me. There is indeed a reason David Tennant is everyone's favorite Doctor and if you don't watch this season, you'll never know why. Don't skip over this one in your Who viewing!
review image
Time is the Doctor's enemy in the Children in Need special "Time Crash" where the 10th Doctor (David Tennat) meets himself in his Fifth incarnation (Peter Davison)as the TARDIS from their respective eras collide. That's just the tip of the iceberg so to speak as we also get to voyage on the Titanic a spacecraft named after Earth's luxury liner (although the designers of the spacecraft clearly had no clue as to what really happened to the REAL Titanic)and the Doctor has to stop the ship from being destroyed in the 2007 Christmas Special featuring Kylie Minogue. The Doctor also gets a new companion is an old one--Donna (Catherine Tate) returns after her brief tenure with the Doctor from the previous year.

The 4th series of "Doctor Who" continued to introduce challenging stories such as the two part episode "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead" where the Doctor meets someone from HIS future that he hasn't met yet and while there were a few weak ones in the mix, the best episodes from the fourth series more than held up when compared to previous ones. While I like Russell T. Davies' scripts, I still find the best ones are usually penned by his successor as producer Stephen Moffat.

As with previous sets we get edited versions of "Doctor Who: Confidential", deleted scenes, commentary tracks with a variety of cast/crew on each episode. We also get two installments of "David Tennant's Video Diary" and a nice tribute to the late actor William Attfield who originally appeared as Donna's grandfather but passed away after the shooting of "Partners in Crime". His scenes were reshot with Bernard Crippins but we get Attfield's deleted scenes as a tribute to the actor. "The Journey So Far" allows cast and crew to comment on the fourth season and some of their favorite moments and we also get the episode teasers, teasers for "Torchwood: Series 2", "Priveal" and "The Sarah Jane Adventures". As with the previous seasons we get a booklet that gives us credits/extras for each episode. The show looks extremely good in its DVD presentation.

I personally thought this was a better seaosn than the third and thought Catherine Tate was a nice contrast to the previous performers on the show. I also applaud Davies for casting a full figured woman vs. a skinny model for the part of the companion during the fourth season. Highly recommended.
on May 6, 2016
Donna Noble is, by far, my favorite companion of all the nuWho companions simply because she wanted to see all of time and space with the Doctor, not make out or sleep with him. Catherine Tate, imo, captures a great range of emotion during her run; I think I laughed the most while Donna accompanied the Doctor. But she did grief and indignation very well too. My only complaint, though, is the way Donna is set up to be this all-important figure throughout the multiverse. As far as I know, this is the first time one of the companions is given such a role, and it sets an annoying precedent that is repeated with Clara Oswald. Why can't companions just be ordinary people banging around space and time with the Doctor? Why must they be pivotal to the survival of the universe or the survival of the Doctor? On the whole, I enjoyed the Doctor Donna, and I hope we see more companions like her in attitude in the future.
on March 23, 2017
Doctor Who is a science fiction masterpiece in the grand tradition of HG Wells' 1898 "War of the Worlds" which created quite a sensation when Orson Welles presented it as a "news bulletin" in the 1938 radio broadcast of that story.
on April 26, 2016
My favorite season with Donna Noble. If you look carefully, you will see a future companion and doctor in one of these episodes. Aside from Jack, Donna is my favorite companion. They're friends, and there is no awkward feelings that dripped in the earlier seasons with Rose and Martha.
on January 19, 2017
I have been watching this show since the 1980s. It never disappoints. The writing was always first-rate even when the special effects were atrocious, and that hasn't changed. Warning: this show is addictive.
on July 15, 2016
My favorite Doctors are 9 and 11, but 10 was fun and dangerous too. Season wise this one was good. Once or twice a year I binge all of the available seasons. Season 4 is no better or worse than the others.