Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 297 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 450 reviews
on July 16, 2013
I only discovered Doctor Who recently and it is so much more than I ever could have imagined. Some shows make you laugh, some make you tear up, some shows have you cheering or screaming at your television. Doctor Who manages to do all of those things. I'm not even a big fan of the sci-fi genre but Doctor Who isn't your typical sci-fi show.
Beware, the Tenth Doctor will break your heart a few times throughout his run. If you're fortunate enough to be able to afford these sets or catch them on sale, they are worth every cent. There are plenty of nice special features as well. Great season, great DVD, I couldn't be happier with it.
on December 28, 2016
David Tennant's first full season and the second with Rose. This is the one most fans of New Who either love or hate. Personally, I love the relationship between the Tenth Doctor and Rose. Unfortunately, the DVD set comes with a clear plastic slipcase and the stickers used to close it leave an ugly residue behind when you open it.
on January 29, 2015
Thus begins the true run of my all-time favorite Doctor: David Tennant. Even though it took me until the season finale 2-parter to truly see his genius I still enjoy this series. Only having 2 truly bad episodes of the lot is not too shabby, even if they are Love and Monsters plus Fear Her. Mostly just a fun series that has a more lighthearted Doctor. Though he certainly has gravitas in his dark times. I'll mostly just go over my opinion on the quality of the picture and sound since many before me have reviewed the episodes in depth on the reviews. I honestly thought the picture was going to be a lot worse but, even though it is not blu-ray quality, it is still a clear picture in all the scenes that matter only truly blurring during some massive motion happening which personally didn't bother me. The sound is nice for this release and the special features are always a treat. The menus may get a bit tiring with them all being the same main menu screen but don't let that stop you. There's no reason not to get the DVD version of this if you didn't want to drop $300 for the limited edition set. Plus, in all honesty, I am perfectly happy with the picture and sound in this set. Plus, I have multiple DVD players and only 1 blu-ray player so I can enjoy the quality of the second season wherever I go!

In short, if you dont have this set, get it. You know if you're reading these reviews you're gonna wind up buying it eventually so why not treat yourself now?
on October 7, 2015
I got this a couple years ago for my brother who loves Doctor Who and got me started enjoying the show as an adult as well. Growing up with Tom Baker and loving him and K9 I knew I'd enjoy the new series as well and so I do. The 2nd series introduced us to David Tennant as the 10th Doctor and we instantly fell in love with him and his oh so very complicated relationship with Rose. My favorite part was seeing Rose meet Sarah Jane (Rest in Piece Elisabeth Sladen) and K9. We love each individual story as well as the series long story that they try to put the puzzle pieces together for. This is a great set tohave on its own & even better if you have watched previous series (seasons for us USA folks) but there isn't any real need to have watched previous Doctor Who shows to enjoy this one wholeheartedly.
The discs worked great in our little DVD players and we enjoyed the extras that come along with a fun behind the scenes look. I hope you'll enjoy it just as much as we did.
on June 3, 2017
I love Doctor Who and this is one of my favorite seasons. I get why they have avoided love stories between the doctor and his companion since then, but I loved how they worked through that very complicated relationship and gave a unexpected but good end for that relationship.
on March 9, 2014
The resurrection of Doctor Who was an amazing feat. Taking a show that began four decades earlier and making it relevant, fun, and a success with fans and critics is unprecedented, mostly because there are no other shows that have survived that long, But the producers only had Christopher Eccelson for one season, so they had to go to the Tenth Doctor. So they selected Scottish actor David Tennant, who'd performed in several British TV series but was unknown in the US, except for appearing as Barty Crouch Jr. in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire." Billie Piper returned as Rose Tyler, who is arguably the best companion of all. The chemistry between the two was powerful. Tennant's Doctor is funny, intelligent, and not a little dangerous, as he demonstrates in the first episode, granting mercy to an invader of earth, but only giving one chance. The quality of the stories throughout is high, showing the best of the series, and while I enjoyed all of the Tennant episodes, the interplay between him and Piper made this a special season.
on May 6, 2017
I introduced my son to Different Shows but he like his mother likes Doctor Who and Star Trek we love these kind of shows
on December 24, 2013
Having just celebrated 50 years of fantastic sci-fi, this is a must have for any Whovian's collection. Follow the adventures of the 10th Doctor and his companion in this second installment of the 50 year old franchise. The special effects are much better than the early days but more than that the on-screen chemistry between David Tennant and Billie Piper draws viewers into each episode.
on April 10, 2017
What's there to say? It's Doctor Who. Bought as a Christmas present for myself. Love it!
on November 14, 2009
It always struck me that Christopher Eccelston's Christmas Day interview with the BBC in 2005--the day that "Doctor Who" was rebooted for the 21st century--was ironic. He knew, because the complete first season was shot, that he wasn't coming back; which was why his mention of the Doctor's ability to regenerate was so...telling...
But maybe Chris also had a clue about the coming storm that was David Tennant.
Tennant's Doctor--Ten, as other reviewers refer to him--spiritually does connect back to Tom Baker's Fourth Doctor, but David captures a joy in his Doctor that Baker didn't seem to have. Both their Doctors seem to understand the "stream of thought" concept in line delivery that captures the TimeLord's essence...but Tennant has a fun with his interpretation that Baker either wasn't allowed or couldn't express in his 1974-1981 run. As a result, David pushes the envelope from where Eccelston had the Doctor at the end of his run. While being far more joyful, Tennant also seems to capture the core sadness and anger of The Doctor, and those moments seems starker and more striking when they occur.
Because Russell T. Davies allows Ten to be more of a romantic, there are some stunning moments through the season. In many ways, "School Reunion" and "The Girl In The Fireplace" plays as a two-part episode. "School Reunion" brings Elisabeth Sladen back to the Whoniverse as The Doctor's former companion, Sarah Jane Smith, and allows for a discussion--aside from the main storyline--that the previous run of Doctor Who might not have broached. The scene in which Sarah Jane, sneaking through the school at night, discovers the TARDIS, and then turns to find Tennant and realizes who he is--is joyous, but quickly turns heartbreaking when Sarah Jane vents at The Doctor for leaving her...which in turn, makes The Doctor talk about his reality--that he loses those he cares about, no matter what. This is a theme that plays out in "The Girl In The Fireplace", where the TimeLord develops a strong attraction to Sophia Myles' Madame de Pompadour (Tennant's great line after Myles kisses him--"I just snogged Madame de Pompadour!!!"--is a wonderful kick).
Tennant's interpretation of The Doctor is a wonderful match for Billie Piper's Rose Tyler. Watching the Doctor grow closer to Rose--we understand his reluctance, but she won't deny her feelings--is marvelous. Camille Coduri's Jackie Tyler is scattered and charming, and Noel Clarke's Mickey Smith matures courageously and sadly through the series--Mickey comes to accept Rose's attraction to The Doctor, but also comes to grip with larger responsibilities in "Rise Of The Cybermen" and "The Age Of Steel" that give him a place and purpose.
This box set is about the line that opens--and closes--this season, which is why this review is titled as such. From the opening to the Daleks/Cybermen smackdown that finishes the season in "Army Of Ghosts" and "Doomsday", this season allows for a more thorough introduction to The Doctor and his world, allows longtime viewers to see the heart (Hearts, since he has two) of the preeminent character in British Science Fiction. Though there will always be an element of mystery clouding The Doctor, Davies and Tennant allow us to see more of the TimeLord than we've seen over the years...his strength, his humor, his devotion to life and this planet...in short, a greater understanding of "who the 'ell he is...", and this is continued in Tennant's run in Seasons Three and Four. This set--highly recommended.