Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Doctor Who - Master Laser Screwdriver
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kate Voegele Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on December 10, 2007
I admit it: I kind of like the new master better than any of the older ones. Why he dumped his trademark Tissue Compression Eliminator is a matter for speculation, but the Laser Screwdriver is a worthy successor...one that's now available to mere earthlings everywhere as a spiffy toy.

This is certainly one of the better television replica toys I've seen. It's made of plastic, but the resemblance to the TV prop is more than adequate. It's the same size, has great detail, and even duplicates the pop-out barrel, which you can trigger with a button on the side.

The toy can make two noises-tap the button, and you get the laser noise. Hold it down, and you get the "lazarus technology" noise. The first noise is fairly loud, but the second can be hard to hear. The end has orange lights that turn on in time with the noise.

It requires three button batteries, which can be a challenge to install-the barrel rotates out, which reveals a battery door with a screw that has to be removed. I really wish it took a standard triple-a cell, which would be easier to replace.

But that's a minor complaint. It's a superb toy, one sure to delight any fan of the series.
on April 10, 2009
When I ordered the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver for a friend, I found myself jealous enough to get my own screwdriver - the Master's laser version. An accurate reproduction of the device from the show, it's relatively well-built and quite fun for any Doctor (or Master) fan. While the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver makes two subtly different sounds, the Master's Laser one has two easily distinguishable (and controllable) sounds - tap once for the higher-pitched laser noise, or hold down for the 'lazarus' noise.

However, there are some downsides. Firstly, the Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver takes a little finesse (and a screwdriver) to remove the core and get to the batteries, but with the Master's, a gentle twist in the right way and the entire core just slides out - not too durable a construction, in my opinion, though it does make accessing the battery compartment easier. Secondly, when in the compact position, my Laser Screwdriver will randomly go off with light and incessant noise until the tip is extended. This is probably because when not extended, the core sits loosely in the handle piece, so the slightest shift will hit the tiny trigger button on the core. I recommend carefully storing it with the tip extended.

Overall it's a fun toy and perfect for going up against the Doctor (or anyone armed with the Sonic Screwdriver). Just beware of it going off randomly in your pocket.
on February 14, 2011
I know this will sound funny, but I bought this for my husband as part of my wedding gift to him. HE loves it and carries it around in his laptop bag. Its just a fun toy. Reason why it lost a star, cause its kinda pricey for 20 bucks for a light and noise, but hey my hubby loved it!
on April 18, 2008
I'll make it short and sweet. The Master's Laser Screwdriver is an excellent mimic of its on screen counterpart, plus it's just fun to point and zap things around the house or at work. It is well put together and only makes a decent amount of noise so as not to be too annoying and broken in half by an angry passer by. It makes two sounds and has a spring loaded extention when the user presses the button. This toy can be educational as well. It can teach one not to shine it's blazing amber coloured LED lights in to ones eyes, or else one may end up with damaged vision. All and all bloody good fun!
on November 15, 2007
Great Doctor Who prop and well worth the low price. Actually better than the Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver UV Pen. Sound is a little weak but louder might be too annoying. FunStopToys shipped it within 2 days with regular shipping charge. Hope that the manufacturer will create other Doctor Who and Master items with this quality and price. Can't beat it.
on April 2, 2013
I bought this as a Christmas gift for my 7 year old son. He loves Doctor Who and really wanted a sonic screwdriver. I had hoped to get him the one from this latest season but saw the price tag and thought twice about it. So I ended up buying this one and guess what, he loves it!! It was really difficult to get the batteries into the thing but once I figured that out and handed it over to him - he was a happy camper!!! Its held up well and hes still enjoying it. Im happy with the purchase - even if the battery information was a little confusing and it took me like 15 minutes to get them in there.
on July 1, 2016
Cool toy I'm a huge Doctor Who fan so of course I love that you can buy the screwdrivers. I bought the 100$ Matt Smith remote and of course it's way more amazing than these cheap plastic toys but at least it's a cool way to display all the doctors screwdrivers without spending a whole lot.
on March 24, 2013
Every Whovian wants a sonic screwdriver, but what about those who always ask 'who'd have sonic?'
Well, now you don't have to have sonic, and can get the Master's Laser Screwdriver.
The top part of the screwdriver is on a spring so it can be pushed down, and it pops up with the button on the side is pushed. It's bigger than 9/10's sonic screwdriver and is identical to the one used by John Simm's Master in the show, save the fact that it is painted plastic, not metal.
Depending on how long you hold the button on the side down, the screwdriver makes two sounds and lights up with both for the duration of the sound.
The nib on the bottom moves so that you can change the setting. You wouldn't want to only give Captain Jack Harkness a light zap would you? No, you want him to wake up again in a little while, so give it a couple more twists.

I absolutely love this screwdriver, and carry it around with me. I've never had an issue with it failing to work (though the spring is seeming a bit weak after almost a year of use,) and quite honestly, what's better than having a sonic pulled on you only to pull out your laser and watch the sonic wielder's eyes bug out?

Please not that it's not a real screwdriver. I've seen complaints on other sites about this not being a real one. It's a toy, or a great cosplay addition (you can get the Master's ring on here as well, it's worth it, Harry Saxons!) , or with a bit of imagination it's the real thing right from the show.
on April 10, 2013
First and foremost, I am completely satisfied with the product. The leds are nice and bright, both noises are loud and clear, the spring action is solid, and there's easy access to the battery pack.

Several of my friends and I enjoy the Dr. Who franchise and a few of them have purchased Sonic screwdrivers as a result. I wanted to be a bit different and since I tend to like bad guys a little more than most, The Master's ominous Laser screwdriver seemed like the perfect fit. Alas, ThinkGeek has been out of stock on the item for a bit. A quick search brought up this little number though, and for a few dollars less than ThinkGeek.

I've experienced no problems with the item, no battery, light or sound issues. I think someone mentioned an issue where the spring action stopped, which troubles me a bit, but so far no problems. I may look into installing a weaker spring if need be, but construction seems solid enough, even after a couple of short tumbles. Oh, the little gray ridged piece towards the bottom of the handle? It spins with a satisfying little click. Not sure if intended but it's nice to play with.
on January 5, 2012
The Master's laser screwdriver is one of the coolest "sonics" released by the BBC. It has great form and finish, an trigger button that doubles as the release for the spring-loaded automatic extension. Push it quickly to get the laser sound, push and hold it to get the "aging" sound. The gray ring near the bottom actually turns.. it just doesn't actually do anything.

I would highly recommend this for any Doctor Who fan! It is beautifully crafted.. especially for a toy.

Note: The age they recommend this toy for (3 and up) is TOO YOUNG. Put this in the hand of a 3-year-old and they'll put out an eye in no time (the spring that extends the tip is heavily loaded and the trigger is "hair-pin"). I would say that 8 and up would be more appropriate (although a responsible 5-year-old could play with it with supervision).

Hope this helps!