Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by NERD Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 8, 2017
I've FINALLY been able to get some "free" spending money to replace old VHS Tapes in my collection. This is one. I'm glad to have this DVD in my new Doctor WHO collection. Now that I have this DVD Title back and able to view, I will watch it often with affection. I'm an AVID Doctor WHO fan, and am slowly picking up DVDs of Doctor WHO to re-complete my old collection, (that was store bought VHS tapes), and broaden it with newly acquired DVD and Blu-Ray titles. I hope to be able to eventually obtain ALL of Classic WHO for my collection.
on January 10, 2011
When I did my review for "Attack of the Cybermen", I mentioned this story and critized it. I think it was a mistake. But I still don't think it's worth more than three stars. Out of all the Cybermen stories, I think this is my least favorite. Considering it had the Cybermen in it, and that it was the show's 25th Anniversary episode, my expectations of the story were high. And I also think that after such a good season premiere, it's hard for "Silver Nemesis" to really top "Remembrance of the Daleks".

The flaws of this story is that it's somewhat lacking in action, although the action scenes they did have in it such as the gun battle between the Nazis and the Cybermen were good as well as Ace's run in with the Cybermen in part three. But for a Cybermen story and the show's 25th anniversary, I think it could have used more action in it. Also there are some unanswered question at the end. Who is this Lady Peinforte in the first place? How did she come to possess the Nemesis? And how does she know how to time travel considering she's a 17th century woman? Although I did like how they made the Doctor more mysterious in this serial. I also think that the ending of this story is way to similiar to that featured in "Remembrance of the Daleks".

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good story, but I think it could have been a whole lot better. It's still enjoyable though, just don't get your expectations too high as I did.
VINE VOICEon October 31, 2010
"Silver Nemesis" is to the 25th anniversary of "Doctor Who" what "The Five Doctors" and "The Three Doctors" were to the 20th and 10th, with the notable exception that, unlike those two, this one isn't at all special.

The story centers around a woman from centuries ago, the Cybermen from the future (more or less), and Ace and the Doctor in the present. There's also some neo-Nazis thrown in and lotsa gold, cause the Cybermen are as allergic to it as modern kids are to peanuts. The Cybermen, the woman and the neo-Nazis are all trying to get their hands on a statue made by Rassilon to protect Gallifrey and... zzzz...

*offscreen poke with stick*

Hmmm? Hmph?! Oh, sorry. Yeah, this is a pretty boring story, really. There's not much to recommend it, except that it is the start of the darker turn for the 7th Doctor. That alone makes it worth watching, plus it's always fun to see the Cybermen before they turned into weird alternate universe versions of themselves, never to be seen again apparently.

There's quite a bit to recommend the DVD, however, including commentary, some behind-the-scenes stuff, and, well, it's the 7th Doctor and Ace! That alone makes it worth buying. :)
on March 24, 2017
My son's new favorite
on July 29, 2010
This was one of the best adventures of the seventh Doctor. Not only does he and Ace face the wrath of the Cybermen, but they also have two other nemeses as well. One a mysterious lady from the Doctor's past who time travels to the future with her reluctant servant and the second a faction of Germans soilders who want to reign a The Fourth Reich.

The prize? A mysterious comet that falls to Earth. All three want it and it's up to the Doctor and Ace to stop them!

Overall, it was a great ending to the original Cyberfleet and we also get an insite to the Doctor's "dark" past. A must see!
on December 27, 2015
Must have for your DW collection. Great to compare "classic" to "current" after the 50th Anniversary.
on November 12, 2010
I decided to write this "review" in case anyone had the same question I had: does this release contain both the transmitted version and the special extended edition that was released onto VHS in the early 1990's. The answer is it only contains the transmitted version... sort of.

The extended version is only available as part of an extended and deleted scenes compilation that is included on the disc.

As for the story itself, I gave this 3 stars mostly based on the story. It's a Cybermen story and that's about the best thing that can be said of it. It's not one of the monsters' best stories. And, as a 25th anniversary story, Remembrance Of The Daleks probably makes a better one to celebrate the series with.

Edit: After viewing the entire contents, I wish to expand a little on my previous entry. I sense a future double dip coming. There are only 3 episodes to this story and past DVD releases of Who like Genesis Of The Daleks easily hold 6 episodes. So, they could have included both the transmitted and extended versions of the story on this DVD. Either with branching or including 2 copies on the same disc. Plus, the making of documentary from NJN TV is not included like it was on the VHS release. There is a documentary made especially for this DVD, though, but, its absence is notable. Plus, the VHS release bloopers and outtakes are not present on this DVD.

The DVD does provide some insight into why this story does not hold very high when compared to something like Remembrance Of The Daleks. (The stories are fairly identical to each other.) Lots of production problems plagued this story. Scenes are vastly reordered or just plain missing. One such scene that is on the DVD has De Flores wearing a pair of Cybermen headphones because he's in the process of being cyberized. Then, in the next scene to feature De Flores, the headphones are gone! The DVD production notes subtitles track explains the missing scene. Such revelations are decidedly necessary given how rushed the production was; the final result shows its warts and all. Warts being predominantly what are on display.
on September 25, 2015
Best of the original doctors. Great show!!
on February 24, 2015
Good 30th anniversary episode. Why the Nazis I have no idea, but okay.
on February 27, 2015
A good story from the seventh doctor era