Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Doctor Yourself: Natural Healing That Works
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

on April 5, 2005
Doctor Yourself is titled and based on a simple premise: every person is responsible for their own health care. When a person abdicates that responsibility, they often place themselves in the hands of the "disease care" industry, a monolithic and profit-driven enterprise where getting well isn't the bottom line.

Through lively anecdote, personal history and accounts of patient education and treatment, Dr. Andrew Saul (not an M.D., by way of disclosure) takes the reader down a path most M.D.'s never dare to tread. Without a hint of pretension or medical braggadocio, the reader shares Dr. Saul's encounters with individuals as they seek relief from common maladies feeding the trillion dollar medical monsters of the Western world; arthritis, cancer, schizophrenia, depression, obesity, allergies, heart disease and many more.

We're also introduced to a "Who's Who" of unjustly ignored medical pioneers like Abram Hoffer, Robert F. Cathcart, Wilfrid and Evan Shute, Linus Pauling and Frederick Klenner. These unconventional M.D.'s and researchers ignored the scorn and censure of their peers in order to treat patients with nutrition and lifestyle change rather than dogmatic, pharmophilic (drug loving) therapies that most often do not cure, but merely attenuate a sufferer's condition.

Doctor Yourself is a page turner, written in a friendly, conversational style that takes you inside the interactions between healer and client, unafraid to detail the skepticism and even fear shown by patients when alternative medical advice runs counter to the normal drug, cut and radiate school of thought. In addition, Dr. Saul lists specific protocols for the use of nutrients as therapy; the reader is never left on their own to experiment or wonder at the possible safety of a potential cure.

It is clear that Dr. Saul has profound respect for the science and art of medicine, but far less for physicians and their patients who willfully remain blind to the value of nutrition, for hospitals that "serve green jello and white bread to cancer patients", to drug companies who relentlessly market to a gullible, insured public.

Based on what I've learned from this book, from Dr. Saul's website and from the many reference materials provided by both sources, I've been fortunate to cure sciatica that hobbled me for three months, and rid myself of hay fever to boot. My wife, an allergy sufferer of 30 years, hasn't touched prescription meds in two seasons. My two boys are healthier because of the changes the family made in diet, supplementation and exercise. Does that make readers of this book "health nuts"? Dr. Saul would ask, "Who wants to be a disease nut"?

Single or married, young, middle-aged or older...any person who lives in a human body will find inspiration and education in the pages of Doctor Yourself. You will find yourself turning to it again and again as a reference and "owners manual" for the body you're using.
22 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2004
DOCTOR YOURSELF is easy to read, lively, humorous and packed with practical, easy-to-follow suggestions for maintaining and improving ones health. I agree with the author's comment that folks need "education, not medication."
I highly recommend this book to others because it helps people to help themselves. In these times of rising medical costs, along with the fact that many lack health insurance, Dr. Saul's book gives hope and confidence, almost like a personal consultation with the author. It sets out dozens of well-documented nutritional protocols for treating ailments using supplements rather than prescription drugs, thereby avoiding drug expense and side effects. The book deals with with quite a few chronic and serious health conditions, as well as more common concerns. DOCTOR YOURSELF provides down to earth and well-researched information.
John I. Mosher, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus Biological Sciences
on January 15, 2004
Having worked in the natural health care business for many years, I've read many, many books on the subject. While many of the books that I've read were quite good, I've found that even the best of these seem to be merely facts tied together with words. Dr. Saul's work, Doctor Yourself stands out in a market that has long been saturated with books of varying degrees of quality. Doctor Yourself is not only the best of the best in the marketplace, it is book with a voice. Reading Dr. Saul's book, I can clearly hear the unique voice of the author in it's pages. Dr. Saul's vast knowledge of his subject is presented with clarity, logic and humor. If I was to have one health care book in my library, it would clearly be Doctor Yourself.
on March 8, 2004
Expertly written by biologist and naturopathic teacher Andrew Saul (who has served as a consulting specialist in natural healing for more than twenty-five years), Doctor Yourself: Natural Healing That Works is a straightforward and "non-specialist reader friendly" guide to organizing one's diet to promote health and nutrition. Promoting nutritional therapy as a preventative and treatment for many diverse ailments, and offering solid advice for adjusting one's diet plan to better live with everything from Diabetes, to PMS, to Parkinson's Disease, Doctor Yourself is a very helpful guidebook which is filled from cover to cover with gems of information that aren't usually discussed in most other nutrition books. It should also be mentioned that Andrew Saul has also developed an impressive website at DoctorYourself.com with additional information on the scientific studies behind the protocols referenced in his book and offers any interested party more than additional 4,000 references.
on October 13, 2005
I bought my mom & myself a copy of this book and both of us keep it handy for ready reference. I've bought a lot of health books and this is the best that I've ever read. I'm very glad to have it, have told many friends about the book and the website, and expect to read and reread both the website and the book many, many times.
on January 14, 2010
This book quite good but nowhere near as good as 'Fire your doctor' by the same author.

Instead of quoting studies, this book relies too heavily on case studies of single patients, I thought.

In the section at the back which makes up most of the book, different diseases are each given a section on treatment. Some of these sections were okay, but many did nothing more than relate a single case study which was almost always completely resolved following the use of high dose vitamin C or similar.

What was lacking was information on how typical such results were and what could be done if the remedies listed did not work. At the very least, it would have been better to include at least a few case studies rather than just one.

This book, as with 'Fire your doctor' just does not have enough information about chronic diseases, and long-term illness. There is little talk of how much high dose C's effectiveness is limited by years of damage caused by the disease, and how long to keep C at bowel tolerance if your disease is long term, and some case studies of what can happen in long-term disease with orthomolecular medicine. This is a problem I have found with most books on this topic, so little is written about long-term illness. I suppose it's just not as 'sexy' as writing about getting amazing and very quick results treating a serious infection in its first few weeks etc.

Many of us have the non-sexy diseases though!

I'd highly recommend 'Fire your doctor' before this book, but it is still far better than almost all books on this topic that are out there. Other good books include 'Orthomolecular medicine for everyone' and 'Dr Atkins' Vita-nutrient solution' as well as all the books by Dr Sherry Rogers.

To be clear, I very strongly support the basic message of in this book and am convinced by the benefits of orthomolecular medicine, I just think that this book does nowhere near as good a job as others in presenting this information to the reader, it's a bit simplistic and vague. There was nothing in this book I hadn't already read in 'Fire your doctor' as well.

Update: There is a 2nd edition of this book just out which is getting very good reviews. I'm very tempted to get my hands on a copy. It has over 100 pages of new information!

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. (HFME) and Health, Healing & Hummingbirds (HHH)
on February 16, 2007
Very good read........Filled with information that I had never given thought to before. Since reading this book my energy, health, and overall well-being have increased dramatically. Would recomend this book to anyone who is looking to take charge of their heatlh
on April 13, 2011
I have read only part of the book, but I will gladly get thru it all. He is right in that natural compounds are great at keeping us healthy. My interest is primarily cancer therapy. His book and my book "Vitamins Can Kill Cancer" both have an omission: few doctors recommend vitamin C as a cancer therapy. The state medical boards can fine or decertify doctors who use unapproved therapies. Fortunately, patients are not restricted by their state medical boards. My aggressive prostate cancer has been in remission for 14 years with vitamins and some early hormone therapy, all with no radiation, no surgery, no chemotherapy, no pain, no worry, and no lost body parts.
Reagan Houston
on May 15, 2011
I would like to recommend this book highly! My wife and I both work in the "healthcare" system. She in hospice, myself in sleep and respiratory care. The current system is a nightmare. I don't know how else to put it! It is going to get much worse, unless the majority of folks take some responsibility for their own health. The value of nutritional therapy has been demonstrated for decades; however, unless the medical system can make a ton of money off of it, they will fight it forever.
The current attitude of living self-destructively, then saying to the docs, "now make me well", is a total trainwreck.
on January 21, 2009
I've lowered my blood pressure 10 points with the author's advice to take niacin. That alone was worth the purchase price. I have found many of his recommendations helpful and look forward to improved health in the future.