Other Sellers on Amazon
Does God Exist?
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
2 disc set. The 1st disc contains the world view debate.
Mr. Hitchens is world famous for his book "god is not great", and eloquently represents new atheism. Dr. Craig is a philosophy professor at Biola, representing theism.
Dr. Craig, presents his case using 5 arguments
1. cosmological argument, the well known first cause argument,
2. teleological argument, the incredible beauty, organization and complexity of the universe testifies to intelligent design. He uses the anthropic principle to back up his point here. There are over 100 known fundament physical constants that demonstrate the extreme fine tuning required to support life on Earth. [...]
3. Morals come from a transcendent creator making them objective.
4. The resurrection of Jesus, shows us there is a personal God. Dr. Craig expounds on the veracity of this claim.
5. The immediate experience of God
Hitchens, bases his belief of atheism on lack of evidence of a supreme being and a few of the things he brought up include:
1. The big bang and evolution with very large quantities of time explain the start of the universe and life as we know it today.
2. When presenting his case, he groups the major monotheisms: Christianity, Jewish faith and Islam into one assembly asserting the arguments based on his vast experience of debating representatives from each world view are similar
3. Since Mr. Hitchens doubts all arguments for the existence of God based on lack of evidence, he concludes there isn't one
4. All religious beliefs are gibberish and wishful thinking
5.Read more ›
I recommend this to everyone: at worst it will provoke thought & interest.
Even though I am a Christian, I did hope that Hitchens would have been a stronger speaker. I value good discussions, but unfortunately this just didn't meet expectations.
First, I liked the clarity WLC gave to his arguments, and those arguments remained more or less unchallenged. As a result I was abe to really think about what he was saying instead of constantly having to come to terms with the latest objection. Yay for a slowing down of pace in thinking. So, the clearness was good, I enjoyed being able to clearly comprehend what WLC was saying and trying to understand it for myself
For the not so positive. Christopher Hitchens was just really not there, maybe this was WLC's fault for wanting him to give a reason for his atheism, and CH's reluctance to do so, but it was frustrating too hear a lengthy monologue on how WLC is not an evidentialist after all. I just wanted him to deal with the arguments clearly and concisely. Instead he misunderstood some arguments, and then asked 3 or 4 questions that only helped WLC to expound on his arguments even more. The Q and A session was not very interesting, and CH was not nearly as amusing as usual.
So, amidst the smoke, some nice clarity, but nothing much to say other than if you really want to think through the issues, you're probably better off reading a book.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This debate is really some serious meat to chew on, but it will erase any doubts you may have about God's existence.Published on August 9, 2013 by Francois Couton
I have been attracted somehow to this work, simply because I knew otherwise. Now I know few things more nothing that can change my life in any important way. Read morePublished on February 14, 2012 by Bernie Bartlett "Doc"
Christopher Hitchens' perceptive argument for freedom from religion was well-founded and enlightening. Read morePublished on July 7, 2011 by Juanito Lim
I was told to watch this, and told that William Lane Craig won the debate? not from what I've seen'! Craig seems to have has a misconception of what atheism is. Read morePublished on April 30, 2011 by stuart
Speaking as an atheist, I was remarkably disappointed with Hitchens' performance here. He wasn't prepared, he seemed to lack his usual confidence, and Craig, armed with the... Read morePublished on April 29, 2011 by FreeRadical
If you are a non believer you will remain one after watching this vid. If you are a believer you will remain one after watching this vid. Read morePublished on March 31, 2011 by J. Pileggi