Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 56 reviews
on August 26, 2011
Working on my 3rd decade in Federal service, and having a wife who is also a long-term Federal employee, at last I understand why government operates as it does. This book is not describing the workings of a Federal agency; it is clearly the textbook followed by all Federal agencies when developing their policies and operational procedures.

I began reading a selection from this book out loud to my wife, who was in another room. She had not the slightest idea what it was I was reading to her. I asked her what she thought when I was finished, and she hollered back, "What is that? Is that a draft for the updated manager's manual?" As Dave Barry says, "I swear, I am not making this up." Lest you think my wife a bit "slow", I assure you, she is not. I have read countless operations bulletins over the years that used some of the language in this book almost verbatim.

In fact, and again, I am not making this up, when setting up certain of our computers at work for speech recognition capability, several pages of this book have been selected as source reading material to teach the software to recognize specific user speech patterns. It is sorely tempting to suppose there is also an ulterior motive to imbue the readers with certain expectations as to the conduct of management.

This is a 5 star read, highly recommended for those times when you need a little cheering up, or when you wish to plumb the otherwise incomprehensible source for Federal policies and practices. At the next presidential debate, observe carefully and you just might see a little red and white corner of a book peeking out of some jacket pockets. Apparently, Dilbert makes for good debate prep, too.
on April 17, 2017
I love dilbert and always will
VINE VOICEon July 17, 2008
If you are familiar with the Dilbert cartoon, then you know Scott Adams' ability to skewer modern business organizations. This book mostly consists of text organized in little easy-to-understand bits, just like a real business book. This satirical text is illustrated with Dilbert cartoons. Of course it's funny, and if you like Dilbert, you'll enjoy it.

What makes the book really work, though, is that it's actually loaded with good management advice. When the book came out, I was an object of management and enjoyed the book as making fun of the people above me in a large organization. Now I'm a low-level perpetrator of management and I find this to be a really good source of "what not to do." I still laugh but I also appreciate Adams' ability to find the humor - - and the inhumanity - - in even well-meaning management.
on February 7, 2014
This book starts off well and has its humorous moments but tends to get too wordy later on and thus boring. I didn't even want to finish it past the first third of text with cartoons. Does seem to portray those managerial quirks many of us know narcissistic managers exhibit. But unless you have lots of free reading time, you might not want to read the entire text.
on August 13, 2017
Hilarious book that feels too true.
This book could also be named "Dogbert's top secret teaching handbook"
on July 10, 2011
So I bought this book because I was having one of "those" weeks at work and thought well what a pick-me-up. Low and behold, I started reading this and realized that Dogbert must have been using my work as his model! LOL. I finally understand why I can't get anywhere at work, I'm applying logic! Anyway, it's a great laugh and worth the price, as always if you like Dilbert, you'll love Dogbert. I also love the evil Catbert, but I'm afraid he'll steal my soul. Enjoy
on August 24, 2011
This book takes incompetence and micro managing to a whole new level. If you, or any one you know works in the corporate environment, and has a great sense of humor than this is the book for you. Also great for first year business students or recent business graduates, your tax specialists, your divorce lawyer, even your ponzey scheme hedge fund manager. Every one could learn something from the Dogbert Management Handbook. Come and drink the Cool Aid.
on February 1, 2016
I use this every day in my management position. Just kidding, This book is a great addition to my library of books. Always gets a laugh.
on August 2, 2016
I think most of the managers I worked with were graduates of Dogbert's course. FRIGHTENING!
on February 20, 2016
I love this book and had it in paperback. The Kindle version impossible to read. The words are all shuffled.